Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Ford Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone driven one of these, they look okay but something about them isn't quite right.

It's like an almost-sportscar from ford.

I reckon they would be good if they had about 25-30kw more power and about 10K cheaper.

Anyone know the sales figures as I wouldn't think anyone would buy tham at the 40K asking price when there are better cars out there ie WRX, 200sx,clio sport - the list is pretty long and distinguished.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I test drove one...priced here for about 18k, which is about 39k where you guys are...not too bad of a ride...liked the 5 speed v6 version. Is it labeled as Mercury there? or Ford?

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Adam W said:
Its a Ford over here.
I really like the looks of that sports pack cougar!

but alas another car this 6 foot 7 21 stone hunk carnt fit into!!!!!:crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1:

·
Ford Member
1,156 Posts
There are better cars
clio sport 172 = as fast, better handling better value 6 speed
wrx = 4wd grip verse FWD? is there a comparison? 6 speed
200sx = rwd, loads of fun 6 speed manuel
Integ type r = some people like em, they look ugly to me..

200sx is roomier too, not roomy, but roomier..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah, I spent two weeks in a Cougar - and I've got to say I liked it. Sure, they are under powered - but they handle well and are very comfy. I drove from Wollongong to Queensland, stayed a week and come home again. It was very enjoyable.

There's a road test in Issue 2 of Performance Ford - on the stands now!

Sounds a bit like an advertisement - sorry!

Paul Beck
Editor
Performance Ford Magazine

·
Australian Probe Member
841 Posts
The unique & often overlooked thing about the Cougar (aka Third Generation Probe) is that it is a V6. The majority of its so called competition, are relativly high reving 4's.
Like the V6 Probes (although a different V6) this makes for much more comfortable driving for the bulk of the time, particularly around town.

·
Ford Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
laminge said:

I really like the looks of that sports pack cougar!

but alas another car this 6 foot 7 21 stone hunk carnt fit into!!!!!:crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1:
As well as the fact that it wouldn't go anywhere with that much person in it as it's not 220Kw. The eibach is supposed to have ridiclously hard suspension and is not really designed for Aussie roads.

·
Ford Focus WRC Driver.
761 Posts
The Eibach is actually not too bad. When I first saw it, it basically sat on the ground so I immediately thought that the ride would be non-existenet comfort-wise. But it's not so bad and the steering is still pretty good.

·
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL
1,031 Posts
I drove a cougar a few months ago..

Loved the exhaust note from the dual exhausts :p not as good as the stang though.

It goes good, handles good and looks good!!

THe V6 is adequate for the car, but nmost of you fellas that say its underpowered are probably used to V8's!

It had more go than my falcon.

·
Ford Member
1,054 Posts
I drove a Cougar a while back and actually liked it. Its biggest enemy is that its price {as you guys said} puts it against better opponents. It is a car that would be very easy to live with if you did'nt want to set the world on fire and even though it was the standard cougar {not Eibach} it handled very good. I did not have a problem with the seats at all which if you go by all the mags and press then im abnormal. I know they probly have no interest now there on the way out but we all know how Cougar does'nt belong at FTE {AT ALL} so if they could relegate them to regular Ford showrooms and drop the fancy servicing stuff im sure there would be enough extra volume for the price to be significantly cheaper.

·
Shhh, we're hunting Lions
1,610 Posts
I love the look of the Cougar, I just think that it lacks the performance of the cars it competes with.

·
Tickford Ruled; FPV Rocks
1,457 Posts
I reckon since they sell Cougers at FTE dealerships, there should be a hot one released as an 'FTE Couger' (if ya know what I mean). It can remain FWD, but should have limited slip diff, 185kw, and possibly six speed (although I personally don't see the harm in having a nice 5 speed box). And Tickford should have a go at the suspension, whilst there at it. But I don't think they should go over the top via bodykits, etc. I really like the look of them standard.

It looks great, why not put it's money where it's mouth is??

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
How's it go ??
Two Rum and coke
Two rum and coke
Couger Thanks!!

·
Formerly J-type
1,629 Posts
ebxr8240 said:
How's it go ??
Two Rum and coke
Two rum and coke
Couger Thanks!!
Or...

"It's got to be the Honda"
"It is got to be the Honda"
"Right it has got to be the Honda"..........

"I'll take the Ford":s6:

·
Registered
499 Posts
The cougar probably would have been a sales sucess if it had been released a year earler than it was. Instead it came up against the most serious celica in over a decade, a very serious coupe in the form of the Integra type R, and serious RWD fun in the silvia. Good product ruined by poor timing and non existent promotion.

·
Australian Probe Member
841 Posts
Echo's (not the Toyota kind!) of the Probe!!! :s6:
Again there are problems at the Dealers; when I was looking at buying my Probe, it took 5 weeks to organise a manual for a test drive. All I heard from most dealers was, why not the Falcon (cause I already had one I was keeping & wanted something special!!)
Ford dealers will not work for a sale that is not a Falcon (the factory supports discosunting for the locally made product much more seriously than on imports), product knowledge on the Falcon is typically woeful & once you get to the imports forget it!!
FTE was a chance to redress some of these issues but they are just about off the radar. I am a fan of the FTE general concept but the execution has been terrible!

End Rant!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts