Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
NOW STARK EA
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,
Just been reading through the old magazines lying in the cupboard and found a Speed Machine Magazine with an article on the APV SR3900. Its built around the S pack, with 15kw of extra power at the rear wheels.
Does any one here actually own one? and does APV still exist, coz i like the bodykit!

Cheers,

Rayos

·
E-Series Cameraman
1,388 Posts
15kw? That's extractors and an exhaust! Never heard of it, but it'd be interesting to see. It seems these special edition EAs are popping up all over the place...

Alex

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
never heard of it.
is there any pics of it?

any chance u could scan the article? :)

·
NOW STARK EA
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeh ill scan it when i get home. just round another article on a supercharged 4litre, that someone has munufactuored, ill scan that 1 2...

l8r

·
Fu(kn Slow & Low
479 Posts
It seems these special edition EAs are popping up all over the place...[/QUOTE said:
here in adelaide ive been seeing heaps of ea directors..... dont ask me what they are if you havent heard of it but there all two tone (e.g blue over silver) and have a crap director sticker on the back doors.... were these the equivilant of the au svo and such but for the ea's??????

Ehab

·
NOW STARK EA
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi fella'z.
yeh had a look at it again...attached if it works...

Guess wats on the cover of the 1991 street machine mag (march i think)? a fully blown EA falcon!!! on the cover!!! its pretty phat!!!
15x15's on the back!!! with a worked and blown 302w!!! would love it in the back shed on the concrete pad!!!

All these 'Street maching, Fast Falcon', 'hot falcon' mags are awsome! why didnt they continue with them!!! A very nice XA GT "launch" from vic, is in a few of them, very nice!!!

cheers, ray

Attachments

·
NOW STARK EA
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hopefully you can read it....

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I have a Wheels magazine from 1990 that features a AVO EA Turbo. It ran 16 pound on custom internals, through a stronger American SVO box. They crunched the spider gears on the first time run, when they dumped the clutch at 3000RPM, so there were no 1/4 mile figures. The power was estimated at around 310 flywheel kW!!!

Sundeep

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
the rear bar looks like the one Karl had on his car.

·
Teh Official Know Nothing
64 Posts
I was lookin at the pics. That bod kit is nice, wonder how much and where I could one up from....

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Where's the tacho??? It looks like a GL dash!

-Dave-

·
D.T.A
246 Posts
I've got 3 good pics of one & the only APV 3900 ever made as far as I know, I think I found em in the gallery but dunno where!

Aparently APV went bust shortly after making the best body kit on a mildly moded EA falcon ever! I'm about to have a crack at the body kit in the next few months so should be interesting, I've rang dam near verybody about this kit & nothing no one even knows what EA I'm talking about!!

I also have more pics & interior shots from a "performance mag" of some description I'll try to find it over the weekend & scan it for all to view shortly thereafter, But I'm out of space in my gallery so anyone with space wanna host the 3 that I have thus far drop us an email address to send em too!
Cheers
Nev

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
Red_EB_S, I'll have to have a look at my old mags tonight, I've definitely got the Street Machine with the Pro EA on the cover, that was a 351W with blower, injection, a real hamburger with the lot. It also had hydraulic suspension to drop it on its guts when stationary.

I remember reading about the APV Falcon, they also did Commodores at the same time. Also the AVO turbo Falcons, I think they also went to a stage 2 as well, although that may have been the one with 16psi.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
LWRDEF, send the pics here.
i'll host em.

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
Ok, APV Special Vehicles were the feature of an article in Modern Motor in March 1989, as was the Brock Falcon in January 1989 (I don't have a copy of either of these). In June 1989 there was an article comparing the APV and SVO Falcons and the SS Commodore. For those who want to cut to the car chase, the figures from the strip are as follows:

Car SS APV SVO
0-100 7.30 7.82 8.13 (average time)
400m 15.04 15.24 15.45 (best time)
mph 95 91.3 90.3
km/h 153 146.9 145.3
Diff 3.08 3.23 2.92

Just to prove weight is nothing new for Falcons, the Commodore kerb weight was 1377kg compared with 1497 for both Falcons. I think this shows how effective the mods to the cars were, it is also worth comparing them to the first XR6 Falcon in which Motor ran 7.99 and 15.65 @ 89.2mph (143.6km/h) with the 3.45 diff and a weight of 1539kg. Wheels did 7.81 and 15.62 @ 90.6mph (145.9km/h), while Ford claimed 7.4 and 15.5 (witnessed by journos who were not prepared to replicate take off and gear change techniques used to achieve these figures).

The APV SR3900 claimed 160kW @ 4200rpm and 380Nm @ 3400rpm while there was not claimed output from SVO, as there hadn't been any dyno tests done at the time, rather Mick Webb was quoted as saying the difference was "noticeable". (Contrast EB2 S-XR6 161kW @ 4600rpm and 365Nm @ 3650rpm and standard 3.9 multi-point engine 139kW @ 4250rpm and 338 @ 3500rpm). Interestingly both engines featured only extractors and larger exhausts. For the record the Commodore SS had 165kW @ 4400rpm and 385Nm @ 3600rpm.

It was noted that the Commodore was more tractable, while the Falcons were way in front when it came to handling. The APV featured stiffer springs (30mm lower each end), larger front anti-roll bar and harder bushes on the rear bar, and Koni adjustables. The SVO had similar 30mm lower springs, larger anti-roll bars at front and rear and Bilstein shocks. Both cars had alterations to the front end geometry and 225/50ZR16 tyres (the APV Pirelli on 16x8 rims, the SVO Dunlop on 16x7s).

The APV had re-padded standard seats while the SVO had Recaros, Momo wheel and gear knob, specific grilles, and rear lip spoilers. The SVO car had a dark grey painted lower half, small lip on the front bar and a blacked out C pillar while the APV had a different front and rear bars with deeper spoiler, side skirts and a slightly larger boot spoiler.

They also took the cars on the track, where the Holden's soft standard FE2 suspension suffered, being 0.9 and 1.1sec slower around the Oran Park south circuit, even though the APV had not had it's tyre pressures increased for the track. It was slightly slower than the SVO, but with tyre pressure adjustments should have been faster although the lower diff ratio was out of sync with the particular circuit. The SVO was given the nod though due to the better seats and generally better feeling.

Both Falcons were preferred by far over the Commodore. Interestingly the Falcons were significantly more expensive, with the SS costing $27,893 including air conditioning against $32,707 for the SVO and $35,007 for the APV. A bog stock Falcon S was $22,207 at the time, although without air.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts

LWRDEF's Pics.

·
E-Series wagon owner
1,929 Posts
that don't look too bad the grill looks interesting it aint svo thats what i thought it was at 1st
oh and john i don't think the rear bar is like karls cause he had little lips near the rear wheels :p

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.