• Unsafe

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Multi Car Owner
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today in the news another SUV wreck that claimed the life of 1 injuring 7 from the truck. And again the wreck was a ROLL accident due to over correcting. Seems to me this is more common in SUV's/Pickups, of course because of the High center of gravity. I dought that I will own one again in my life time. People are lulled into thinking they are soooo safe, yet I see them as dangerous. Many folks do not know how to drive them in unsafe manuvering situations. Just look at any junk yard, or a rebuilder lot that has the wrecked ones, most of them have rolled......SAFE, UNSAFE, what is your opinion??

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
Tim I totally agree with you. I traded in my 89Probe for a 95 Cherokee. That was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made. I put nerf bars on it, fog lights, and all that other junk on it. After driving it a while It began to look like a casket to me, a big black one at that. Drove very different than any other car I ever had. But, I think some of the problems with SUVs are the drivers. Soccer moms and some dads, think that its a car and drive it like one. Instead of driving it like an off road vehicle.

·
Multi Car Owner
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Owe many of them look nice but I must agree that must women do not know what they are driving.

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
Marqman said:
Owe many of them look nice but I must agree that must women do not know what they are driving.
Uh ohhhhhh, buy making that statement you just know it's going cause some flaming to happen. :D

·
Multi Car Owner
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vehicles themselves: safe
drivers: unsafe

Man do i disagree on this one. Look at the explorer stuff, there is way more to that one then we will ever know. That problem appears to have reared its ugly head going as far back as 89'ish. ntil the last year or so I think they have been unsafe. Sure they are great for head ons ( if your IN THE SUV ) and the like. But in roll overs and what they do to other cars is not good.
AS far as the Women comment. Im am not being a pig or anything there, but I feel many can not handle a car in a bad situation.

·
SHO Member
8 Posts
Any vehicle is safe if it is driven properly. I have driven approximately 50,000 miles each year for the last 30 years in all kinds of conditions. My experiences have left me with the opinion that unsafe drivers outnumber unsafe vehicles by a VERY WIDE MARGIN. By the way, when was the last time you checked the air pressure in your tires? And your brake lights?

·
Ranger Member
11 Posts
i feel 100% that it is the drivers not the vehicle. as for the bad tire thing i have had a tire blow while i was driving as well as a ball joint let go and negther time did the vehicle roll over or even leave the road. i think that SUV's need to be driven like trucks and anyone that gets in one and thinks it will handle like a car is dead wrong and dangerous. if you know how to drive, and know how to drive an SUV or truck then i think they are totaly safe, more so than a car.

·
Explorer Member
53 Posts
Being a woman and also an suv (god forbid an explorer) driver for the last 8 years - I must say - the drivers are the problem. Just as a gun is safe until it gets into the wrong hands - so is any vehicle.But you can't hop out of your BMW 325i and into an explorer and expect it to handle the same. You need to pay caution to the type of vehicle you really need and how it is meant handle. If you don't need a truck, don't buy one! An suv should not be a replacement for the family station wagon and surely cannot be driven like one. The problem is everyone trying to keep up with the Jones'. You need to have bigger and more expensive toys than your neighbor nowadays. I tow a boat, I travel to remote parts of Maine on unpaved and often washed out logging roads, and I've got a dog the size of a moose. I need a 4x4 truck. If all you need is a family hauler and want good traction - there are plenty of AWD station wagons that are easier to maneuver and cheaper to buy and drive.

As for the Explorer rollover problem: Having worked for FMC for 11 years and being in the line of fire when the load came down about the recall - I can tell you this...It's not the truck ... it's the tire, and the lack of maintenance provided by the driver...Chevy and Dodge have the same problem with the Firestones they used on their vehicles -- Ford happened to use them more than other brands and the Explorer being the most sold suv on the market - it really caused quite a raucous. I commend FMC for voicing their opinions and making an amazing effort to satisfy their customers - It was FMC that made Firestone investigate and come out with this problem. We were pulling tires of of brand new unsold vehicles to put on customers cars. FMC shut down one assembly plant to distribute tires allocated to that facility to dealers in the southernmost states where the demand was greatest. If it just so happened that Goodyear had the same issue - You'd be questioning Blazer and Tahoe roll overs - just as people do with the Explorers.

And now I'll let someone else climb up on the soap box!

H

·
0 Posts
My x wife totalled my brand new Eddie Bauer Bronco only 2 weeks after I bought it and it wasn't because of a tire blowout. She tried to dodge a dog or coyote that ran across the road in front of her. I had even gone through the lecture with her on no quick lane changes or drastic over steer maneuvers. The vehicle went into a ditch at a right angle, became airborne, cleared a 3 strand barbed wire fence in the air and then rolled end over end 3 times.

The tires had faults but I think the problem is with the drivers. If they could really gather information on all those wrecks most if not all of them(as tragic as they are) were the result of driver stupidity at the time of the accident. Things like smacking the screaming kids in the back seat, fiddling with the make up(sorry, LOL), cellphone in the ear and a basic lack of any comprehension of how to bring a vehicle with a blowout to a stop are the cause of just about all of those. I bet the first thing every one of them did was slam on the brakes.

It does bring up an interesting question. What do anti-lock brakes do when you have a blow out and slam on the brakes? I wonder if that one was ever tested. Hummmm, LOL.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Not real sure about all the explorer problems but I have had 10 years of SUV ownership. They are different to drive and have limitations that different road conditions can exagerate. Over the next 3-5 years the safety of these type cars will increase 10 fold, but that given there is no subsitute for driver education

·
Bronco Member
62 Posts
SUV crashes

If I had the choice of being in an accident, (non-rollover) I'd take my Bronco over a smaller car. It has a full frame and steel bumpers, etc. (it's an 85) so it would be safer for me, but I can't say the same about the other car! If I were to flip, it would be bad, which is why i plan to install a rollcage someday. I don't think I am in as much danger as most people, since I am used to this vehicle and I even learned to drive in it before I had a license.
(I first drove the thing, sort of, when I was 10, believe it or not)

I can't stand these people, both men and women, many times a soccer mom on a cell phone, or some yuppie loser, also on a cell phone posing for the other drivers, who buy these trucks and think they are invincible. They cut you off and act like it was your fault.

There should also be a height restriction or something for buying an Excursion. I see petite women driving them, and the vehicle seems to dwarf them even more! They have to lean forward so much you can see through the space between their back and the seatback, to see traffic through the window on the other side!

It makes me angry. Like they really need to be driving that. I could understand if they need to tow a camper or a boat, but thats it, and they almost never do. I hate show-offs who buy these as well. Some people just need a minivan. (Why don't they buy a conversion van? Those are pretty cool!)

It was more fun owning a Bronco back in the 80's when most people still drove cars, I remember when I was little and we would be on the interstate, it seemed like we were up in the air or something, looming over everyone else. Now everyone has them! At least my Bronco still seems bigger than most SUV's LOL.

Later,

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I would agree with that. But I would opt for airbags and a crumple zone as well if I could find it . When it come to 4x4 s crashing with cars, the 4x4 nearly always comes out on top due to their great weight and mass.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
10 Participants
HSE2
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing