Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what heads and manifold the EL XR8's have and how restrictive they are. Cheers.

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
It depends which series. Series 1 are like EB-D 5ltrs, they have the restrictive HO intake and E7 heads. Series 2 had the explorer manifold (much better) but still retained the E7 heads.

If you can get your hands on a EL2 Xr8 explorer manifold, you'll be laughing! Then you could either port the crap outta the E7's or spend 1k on a set of GT40P's from Herrods. The GT40P's are much better flowing in standard form than the E7's will ever be in ported form. IMO, you should go the GT40P's as the cost for porting the E7's will probably come out not much cheaper.

I have also heard that the 40P's can be further ported for bigger potential.

Just my 2c

·
5.0 ED Wagon
123 Posts
You could get the 40Ps from an engine importer as well. I see them in the parts peddler here in NSW from time to time. But if your handy and can follow instructions, you could port the E7s yourself. Thats what I'm going to do within the next 6 months or so with before and after figures on the dyno. But if you are not confident about doing the port work yourself, then the 40Ps will be a better proposition.

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
The intake is more restrictive than the heads, but it is close. Also fully ported E7's flow about as much as the stock GT40P's, that's why I went for the GT40P's in the first place. The GT40P's can also be further ported, I am doing mine this week. As for intakes, anything from ford with the GT40 base (Explorer, cobra or GT40) would be a good upgrade or just go for aftermarket edelbrock or trickflow ones.

·
Registered
992 Posts
HEAVILY ported stock heads fitted with larger valves are lucky to flow 200-210cfm.

Its just not worth spending $1.5k to have the work done, when the worst flowing aftermarket heads available will out flow them......

Just my 2c

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
blueoval said:
It depends which series. Series 1 are like EB-D 5ltrs, they have the restrictive HO intake and E7 heads. Series 2 had the explorer manifold (much better) but still retained the E7 heads.

If you can get your hands on a EL2 Xr8 explorer manifold, you'll be laughing! Then you could either port the crap outta the E7's or spend 1k on a set of GT40P's from Herrods. The GT40P's are much better flowing in standard form than the E7's will ever be in ported form. IMO, you should go the GT40P's as the cost for porting the E7's will probably come out not much cheaper.

I have also heard that the 40P's can be further ported for bigger potential.

Just my 2c
You can't really get a better answer than that!

If you let us know some more details about why your asking (i.e. Have an EL1XR8 and want more go, or want to know which EL to buy etc etc), we can give you some more specific advice . . .

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
Can someone explain the pyhsical differnces (ie what i'd be looking for, cast numbers, etc ) with the manifolds plz.. Ignoring production dates of the car how could i tell one from the other

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
ok thanks ... so it seems the explorer type has a larger section under the 'welsh' plug?
is that right its a little hard to tell from the different angled pics

·
2,784 Posts
Yeah the explorer has a larger part under the welsh plug and the side is flat and square to the top. It i9s hard to see from the pic, but the explorer has horizontal lines down the flat side and a bit on the top which you can just see.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Yep another way to tell is the HO type is inline ports in groups of four front and four rear. The latter better flowing inlets the ports are not inline as can be seen on centre gasget/ join..They are however slightly restrictive on one and five port due to distributor..N/a shouldn't be a problem tho...E7 heads are good for weight lifters and counterweights etc...

·
2,784 Posts
Not really as far as V8 parts go, they were fitted to EL2 XR8's and all AU V8's. They come up for sale second hand every now and then, but if you phone around you should be able to locate one fairly easily.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Na usually well done...haha

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
EDXR8 said:
Not really as far as V8 parts go, they were fitted to EL2 XR8's and all AU V8's. They come up for sale second hand every now and then, but if you phone around you should be able to locate one fairly easily.
How much would one expect to pay for a 2nd hand explorer manifold?

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
!Gn|T|0n said:
How much would one expect to pay for a 2nd hand explorer manifold?

Go on Paul ,, get it all in one go ,, Mr. Visa is a pussy; you can fight him off for another month or two

Underdrive,, Rockers and a Manifold .. now there is a days work fitting that :wnc: .. Ahh shoot while your at it throw in a cam as well

Chase that Rollin.... :AAHHH:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts