Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering who has done the 6 weeks at kapooka and what should i expect?

Can you take mobile phones?

Im joining as rifleman as it seems to be more physically demanding ('fun to me').

I'd like to know what others think of the reserves in general. Ive been told you get about $2500 tax free for the six weeks.

Thanks,

Pete

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I'm in, got out of pooka in October.

It's not that bad. Everyone takes it differently. The only things I really had issues with were being away from family/friends for 6 weeks and the numpty factor; people who just can't get things right even after the 50th time. For the most, the individual doesn't get punished, the group does. After all, you're only as good as your worst soldier.

Just do what they tell you the best you can, don't offer any excuses, if you stuff up just cop it on the chin and learn from it. Nothing they say to you is personal, remember that. Don't do ANYTHING that will bring attention to yourself, especially in the first few weeks. Stay low, do what's asked of you and you'll be fine.

Yeah you can take mobile phones, though you can't use them all the time, only when you're told you can. You can get alright reception in your lockers though ;)

Yep, you get $2500 tax free (which I managed to spend $850 on insurance excess the week I got back.....oops). Don't ever think the rest of the army is like Kapooka, once you get out it's way better, everyone is much more friendly. Though reserve infantry is hardly the most professional corps going around.....we do shit all then sink piss at the end of the night, 30 bucks well earnt.

Any other questions, ask away mate. Oh, and pack some 320 grit sandpaper, you'll thank me for that.

·
Experimental Racer#6
8,192 Posts
[email protected] 6 weeks at Kapooka.
You guys have it easy.

Generaly the Reservists are the Armys not much liked twin brother.
Regulars normaly dislike em, and alot of reservists think thrie sh^t dont stink.
if you have the right attitude and listen to what people have to say(then take outcrap and keep the good stuff), you will get on.

·
2,922 Posts
psycho chicken said:
Just do what they tell you the best you can, don't offer any excuses, if you stuff up just cop it on the chin and learn from it. Nothing they say to you is personal, remember that. Don't do ANYTHING that will bring attention to yourself, especially in the first few weeks. Stay low, do what's asked of you and you'll be fine.
What he said ^^^

I only went thru the RAAF recruit school (as opposed to the Armys)- 13 weeks or whatever, but the basic fundamentals are the same. If you excel at anything, you get given more shit and expected to do better. But if you are good at something, push yourself at it, its all a mind game. Sometimes it can get hard and you'll be out in the rain, sitting in a muddy hole at 3 am, soaked to the core thinking "What the hell have I signed up for, this sucks", but you'll no doubt come out feeling like you can head butt the world. 2 years later (permanent air force) and I have never looked back.

Hope you really enjoy it, and take on board what everyone has said! :angel:

Cheers...... Tim

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
TIKFD6 said:
Regulars normaly dislike em, and alot of reservists think thrie sh^t dont stink.
hehe, I know my place in the world as a choco, and ain't asshamed of it. Afterall, it's reservists who did most of the fighting in PNG.

I thought Kapooka was going up to 10 weeks this year? Buggered if I know what happened there.

Make sure you push yourself, put in the hard yards while you're there and you WON'T regret it when you get out.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
I unfortunately got thrown out due to a bung knee but there's good advice there. My best bit of advice is don't wait before you get there to start your fitness training! Also take note of the basic theme: the Army does not appreciate 'individuality'. If you choose to be so inclined, expect to be duly targeted until you 'learn'.

6 weeks should fly by!!!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Oh yeah by the way, if your recruitment officer tells you there is a nice golf course & gym facilities there, don't actually think you will have a chance using them!!!! I did my nearlly 7 weeks (lost a day to a freedom of city march in wagga & then the band couldn't play on the next day, so got to stay an extra couple of days) about three years ago. Even though I am a reservist ginger beer, I still catch up with the guys that joined full time & yes you will cop shit from some of the full timers (even though you do the same training......well until they change there mind), but the reservists still do a good job with all the red tape we get from the fulltimers.

There will be also tonnes of yelling, especially if you get infantry NCO's, but thats just part of the training, I remember sitting at the pub after it was all done & they were saying that after they would give us a huge ear bashing about something they would go back into there office and laugh there tits off!!! So don't ever take an ear bashing to heart...unless you really ****ed up, which each platoon will probably have one or two people who do constantly.

Thats my two cents

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
My brother is in the forces (not Army) and he says it is NOT a good idea to continually fail the firearms training. I now lend him one of my rifles for practice and safety drilling before he goes for his 'review'.

The AUG is a bullpup design which makes a bit of a difference to normal weapons but the same rules apply. I don't know whether the AUG is force wide these days but I'll bet if you want some excitement do a 360 holding one at chest level/aim..... HE HE LOL

·
Rollcage Crash Test Dummy
552 Posts
Im going in for my apptitude testing (mental health and physical health) 31st June, HSA in Newcastle, im joining SIGs

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
My brother is in the forces (not Army) and he says it is NOT a good idea to continually fail the firearms training. I now lend him one of my rifles for practice and safety drilling before he goes for his 'review'.
God, there was some guy in my platoon who failed the first safety test on it FIVE times. Sure that doesn't sound too bad, but everytime you fail it they give you a piece of paper telling you where you went wrong.

Needless to say, he didn't march out with us.

weetbix, thanks for the link, lost that ages ago. lol it's nothing like that anymore, trust me. I read that before I went, remembering the first few paragraphs I was PACKING myself when we rolled in through the main gate, but it never happened.

·
2,922 Posts
Yeah, watch out for the classic Steyr Eye. It's pretty simple to avoid it, don't put the scope ON your eye when you shoot - or you'll have a shiner and will never live it down! The rifles aren't hard to shoot... practice makes perfect, like anything. I felt like I blew my little finger off when I accidentily put my little finger over the gas port while trying to shoot with the handle up - it was impregnated with black carbon for weeks, never made that mistake again! LOL

We had a guy on the range with the Steyr Aug, smallest guy in the whole class, let rip on full auto (didn't have the mandatory one shot lockout button down), and within five shots the weapon was facing the sky, it kicked up so much. He earned the nickname Auto for the rest of the course!

It's funny how you initially jump when they yell at you, when you first get there... but by the end of the course, it's so normal, you only jump if they come up behind you and whisper!

Ah... the memories..... :wnc:

Cheers....... Tim

·
Registered
104 Posts
So what happens in the reserves after kapooka?
What are the obligations ect.. How often do you have to work?

·
2,922 Posts
weetbix said:
You should give this a read, gives a good insight as to what your in for. A good read.

http://maxe.ausgamers.com/bt.htm

Cheers
Just finished reading it. Actually a damn good account of the emotions that you go thru.... congrats to whoever wrote it for taking the time...

Cheers... Tim

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone here from the Brisbane rifleman reg?

Thanks for the insight guys!

I was wanting to know about mobiles due to leaving my wife and unborn child (4 months now) for 6 weeks.........that sounds so long!
Alot of army jargon in the posts, spose i'll get used to it soon.

Two more questions:
1) How do you get down there?
2) DO you get payed $30 per week for weeknight training?

Pete

·
Registered
218 Posts
Steyre eye...ha ha ha, when we had a weekend shoot, we had a newly appointed officer (DEO doctor) come with us for the weekend so he could get qualified and he let rip, and ended up with blood coming down his face...was bloody funny!!!!!!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
You probably won't have a chance to call atleast until week two & then you may only get 5 mins on the pay phone, and you may get to use your mobile in week four when you get to go to the war museum in canberra. It all depends on your corprals and how leanent they are!!!

Question responses:
1.) Well I was in Townsville when I joined & they flew me down to sydney, to catch a bus to wagga!! Then I got flights all the way back from wagga
2.) Pay depends wether you do your mod courses (work related courses), how far you travel...etc, but $30 sounds about right for when you first start up, Tuesday nights are considered as half a days pay. I'm fairly lucky, because of the distance to my unit, I get paid extra for travel.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
From memory you get a phone call the night you get there, then whenever the corporals feel generous. It's not that often, but you can sneak em in ;)

Letter's are a better friend. I'd often find myself re-reading letters from my girlfriend, friends and family, still do. Make sure you write, it helps you heaps. If you can't find the time, wait a few minutes after lights out and smuggle a pen and paper into the dunnies.

Another good idea is to keep some form of a diary. Might sound a bit poofy, but it's a pretty good idea. You can't show it to people when you get back, they get a much better idea of what you went through. Plus you don't have to tell your story a million times.

Yep, your one night a week is about 30 bucks as a rifleman. Courses get you a bit more dosh, it ends up being rather handy. It's all car money for me. Set it up so reserve money goes into one account, the rest into my main account. The reserves account is for me, no bills, no petrol, just me.

It'll be a cakewalk, I know it doesn't seem that way right now, but you'll be fine. Just remember thousands of guys (and girls :p) have do it before, and we all got through fine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts