Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Mod/SCPOC/Probe LX Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, its on the way.

the cost was 135.00 from aspracing

did anyone else order one or does anyone else have one installed????

also, one question.... when i put this in..... the bolt on the harmonic balancer... how do you tighten it right (wont the pulley start turning with it??) i crank the starter with a breaker bar on them to get them loose.

·
Old Skool Member
1,031 Posts
Cool you got the underdrive pulley. I hear that it's a major bitch to get it installed. But you should PM Bufalo, he's got one from ASP on his 3.0L. He said that it made a big difference in power! And he's done alot of stuff to his car(s). He'd be able to help you with tips on the installation and the harmonic balancer question!

Good luck

·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that doesnt count because he bought it secondhand from ralph :)

·
Probe LX Member
36 Posts
Caliguy143 said:
also, one question.... when i put this in..... the bolt on the harmonic balancer... how do you tighten it right (wont the pulley start turning with it??) i crank the starter with a breaker bar on them to get them loose.
There is a special tool to place on the balancer/pulley that holds it steady. Your ratchet+socket goes through the middle of it. I don't know what it's called, my dad just found it in the shop at his workplace and it worked perfectly.

·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it arrived today. I must say the quality is top notch!!!! It also weights 1lb at most!

·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im just going to pay 60.00 to have it installed. i dont have the time to deal with it!! 60 aint bad anyway. i just have to go get the belts.

I can make up 60.00 doing a cv joint for a customer or something. Id rather do that than let the engine off the motor mount and all that crap.

·
Old Skool Member
1,031 Posts
60 bucks aint bad at all! That's about an hours worth of labor I assume?

·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes, one hour in the flat rate book. i couldnt believe it.

·
Probe Member
104 Posts
hey caliguy does the underdrive pulley that you have is like the stock one i mean did you need any modifications or what im planning in buying one for when my car is running again and let me tell you that yeah its a bich to install them i mean its easy to get to the pulley but that bich its tight as hell i even broke one of my craftmans racket (big one) and cut my middle finger all the way down to the bone have the scar to prove it, it required some major manpower (me) and lots of sweating, swearing and bleeding to get it done.

·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it is 10 lbs lighter and requires shorter belts. i have the belt sizes and numbers. It is a 1 pc pulley, so it is better... no breaking like my oem one did.

·
Old Skool Member
1,031 Posts
Keep us updated on this. I want to hear your opinion once you get it installed. I'm sure I didnt have to say that since you'll be so excited that you'll post about it anyways..

Maybe you can become an authorized distributor for ASP also?

·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'll talk to them. im talking to unorthodox racing

B

·
0 Posts
60 bucks out of pocket to avoid that nightmare of an installation?! Whoo... YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!

I had to MAKE my pulley-puller tool out of some flat stock steel. Sigh... the hardest part was finding bolts that were strong enough to hold it in place while I cranked the bolt loose.

Dropping the engine off the passenger-side engine mount was no fun either...

But the payoff? Whoo!! That thing makes a *world* of difference in response and upper-end power. Very highly reccomended piece.

And yes, I agree, the craftsmanship was nice. :)

Is there a timing mark on yours? Mine didn't have one. I sorta fudged my own, but sheesh, without it being actually accurate, I'll never really know where my timing is exactly.

·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ugh, didnt think of timing marks.. maybe i can make some?????

·
Ford Member
10 Posts
Question about Air Con.

Since our 3.0 runs a serprentne belt..how do you remove the air con../Compressor out of the car..? Has anyone took it out before?

B

·
0 Posts
If you look in most accesory belt catalogs they'll list a belt for a Non-AC Probe V6. Just pick that belt and follow the routing listed in the Haynes manual.

I yanked the entire AC system from my '92 with good results all around.

·
Probe Member
106 Posts
Is removing the pulley more work on your 3.0 engine because it is a 3.0? I've taken mine off on my 2.2 to replace the timing belt, and it just wasn't that difficult. I'm hoping it has to do with the fact that you all have timing chains. How was dealing with ASP? I think the UDP will be in the future for my HardCore GL. Thanks for any info.

·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I had it installed today. the problem that makes it tough to install is that the pulley is blocked by the wheelwell. if it was 2 inches lower it would come right out and be a heck of a lot easier.

I wasnt as impressed with the performance it gave me as i'd thought i would be. The car is smoother all around now though, and i did gain some power on the freeway which is nice.

ASP was great!!

One question though, One of the belts they put on is noisy... How do I shut it up??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts