Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put the deposit down for a 5/99 AU1 XR8. Galaxy Blue, Auto, Bodykit, 17's and all the electrics minus the sunroof. A delivery date of after Christmas but before new years is expected.

Anyway, I want to discuss mods. Now, of course the first obvious one would be to go headers and exhaust. But even that is cause for a debate. What to get tri y's or pacie's 4 into 1. Then it's exhaust, to touch or not to touch the cats, is that a question? Then from cat back do I go a single 3" lukey or dual 2 1/4?

I dont know what come sotck on the au1 xr8 windsor as theres so many variants over the 11 years it has been used since returning. Some had alloy heads, some didn't. Some had 1.72 roller rockers. Was that from AU2 onawards?

Now onto heads. If I put 1.72roller rockers on, if I change heads later on do i need to change the roller rockers again? Or does it depend if its an aftermarket head (trickflow / AFR) i need to but a GT40 X or something would be ok?

Where to start asking now? Ohh intake... AU1 XR8's had ther 70mm MAF am I correct? Is it worth going to 82mm maf? El2 xr8 onwards had explorer intake yes? what about a phenolic pacer ive heard of it but dont even know what it does!

Last but not least would be a chip. ALso a very debatable topic. What to go for pigyback or replcement. Would also depend on what I want to do down the track. I would love to go full hog down the track with a stroker kit, but I dont know, i doubt it. Can never rule it out though but id like a chip you can keep chaning to suit after each mod. I guess you can say it would just be better to get the chip after all the toher mods. Well to be honest I dont even know where to start, let alone where or when I will finish. I suppose when the money runs out which wont be very long around this time of the year...

Alot of questions I know. But I'd really appreciate some advice form you guys who have been there done that as i dont want to expreince it for myself just want to get the best first shot.

Ohh one last thing, is it worth going 3.7's up the bum. 3.45 standard but for 1/4 mile times isnt 3.7 rally good as you are high in rev range in 3rd instead of just starting 3rd in 3.45?

I'll be at Heathcote in January so i'll be curious to see what times I get. What should I expect for stock as a rock as mentioned above auto 150k on the odo?

Hope to catch up with all you guys from vic at hathcote in the new year!

·
a vile merchant
714 Posts
Congrats mate! I know you've been hanging out for this!!

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
well done mate... hope it treats ya well... i think for your mods you should get a different throttle body, maf, alloy heads, intake manifold, chip and exhaust to see some real gains, best of luck with it anyway!!!

·
BSR Twin System (tm)
4,751 Posts
Good stuff! I look forward to seeing it around.

·
Teh Pimp
311 Posts
1) 4>2>1s are the way to go with extractors
2) Stock Ford cats are excellent, leave her alone
3) Cat back exhaust is personal preference... Twin looks cool and sounds pretty good but single is better performance wise but may drone.
4) Street Terra ST2027's should be able to fit aftermarket heads and will certainly work with FMS ones
5) MAF and TB should be big enough, money is better spent elsewhere
6) A chip? argh, I would save up for a whole new system myself like MoTec. :)
7) 3.45 --> 3.7 - May not notice the difference but you will have better acceleration

Good Luck.

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, thanks guys. Yeah I'll get an SSK too. I'll only do subtle mods for a while. I have big plan for this car as i plan to keep it for a long time.

I really would like to put alloy heads on, as much as being a performance gain they should be alot lighter too. Chips, I dont know mucha bout them so dont knwo what to get or wehat too look for. I'll see later on.

Hey PigDog how about that run now man?

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
Congrat's mate, good to hear of another Galaxy Blue AU XR8, it's a real nice colour isn't it,I have the 4-1 header's and single 2.5 inch zort's,great sound and noticeable power,I also have the Unichip installed which I must say is fantastic, smoother acelleration,and much better economy on the Hwy, much better than standard,all the above was performed by the boy's at Herrod's, so do yourself a favour and talk to them about your need's,you will be happy,just like I am.

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ohh yeah thanks Galaxy. How much was your mods all up if you dont mind me asking?
If you can price them individually too that would be great.

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
Pacemakers with high flow cats and single 3" system is the way to go. All up, you should be able to get that for around $1800. Unichip is the chip of choice (stay away from powerchip) and is fully programmable - this is about $1300 installed and tuned to your car (get it after exhaust).

Until you get different heads, you will not need bigger TB or MAF, so do them after you have replaced the heads.

Cobra - how much did you pay for it? I have seen one in Canberra for $24k, but think that price is a bit high (it's auto and has similar kms to yours).

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
21grand mate. 10 grand Xchange for my EL XR6. That price includes $870 transfer fee/stamp duty! Arrrrgh.

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ohh by the way JC do you have a bigger pic of your car perhaps you can email if you like i want to see how low your car sits with those kin superlow springs. Yours is vct so it has the irs also. I put superlows in my el but they didnt sit low enough for my liking so i want to make sure its right second time round when i do it on this car.

If you cant post it on here for some reason my email is [email protected]. Thanks mate.

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
For memory I think around $1900 for the full exhaust in S/S and $900 for the chip,all dynoed on Herrod's dyno too,I had the car lowered as well which was about $800 for the Herrod spring's.

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I'd go the untichip but God knows how many mods i want to do so i would probably get it later on as if i do more mods after it ill just have to pay someone to get them to reprogram it again.

·
100MPH Hunter
1,045 Posts
Definately go unichip, it is the next thing on my list, apart from an underdrive pulley, I also got the Genie Extractors which are 4-2-1's, and with the cats from what I heard after 80000km's they are pretty much stuffed especially if the previous user used crappy fuel. You might as well get big free flowing ones, I wouldn't be going any bigger that 2 1/2's. I have the single 3" exhaust with a muffler and resonator and it is a beautiful note, just ask Ignition. Inlet wise, stick to the current stuff you have unless you want to go all out, Get the stuff port matched and it will flow very well, I am not sure on the heads the AU1's have (are they E7's???) if so don't bother doing much just save $1500 and get some nice new alloys..

Cheers

Corey

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
Cobra said:
Ohh by the way JC do you have a bigger pic of your car perhaps you can email if you like i want to see how low your car sits with those kin superlow springs. Yours is vct so it has the irs also. I put superlows in my el but they didnt sit low enough for my liking so i want to make sure its right second time round when i do it on this car.

If you cant post it on here for some reason my email is [email protected]. Thanks mate.
From memory, the measurements from Centre of wheel cap to guard are 335mm front and 337mm back - I will double check tonight and let you know. I will also e-mail you a bigger pic.

·
need BOOST
272 Posts
Heads on the AU1 are the GT40p's, at least they are on my AU1 (build 10/99)...

DT

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JC said:
From memory, the measurements from Centre of wheel cap to guard are 335mm front and 337mm back - I will double check tonight and let you know. I will also e-mail you a bigger pic.
Okay thanks man appreciate it.

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
335mm front is right - the back is around 340mm. Pic sent also.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts