Ford Forums banner

AT&T / Excite went Bankrupt,,,Cable service down

4K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Gil Starr 
#1 ·
Yes All cable modem internet service around the country is shut down until further notice due to Excite filing for bankrupcy.
I am on the net via dial up (sucks) and it is not known when we will get our service back.

ATT does not know when the service will be back but told me that they are working on aquiring it as soon as possible.

I had to break out the old AOL disk just so i could get on the net. ugh

Apparentlly Excite was the backbone of ATT's service,taking care of the servers and what not while att was doing the cables and some hardware.

It could be a few weeks :shrug:

I want my cable back.

Just thought i would let you guys know if you did not allready.

A National outage of Cable internet service is a serious thing in my book,,,im pissed that i have to use AOHELL

See less See more
#2 ·
I just read about that on Yahoo! That REALLY sucks bro! Are ALL the cable subscribers really affected in the US? I never realized they were the only ones providing the service.......... for the first time in my life I am glad that I have dial-up.

#7 ·
<--- Excite@Home at the moment... still going strong though I'm still pissed because they recently capped my upload speeds... (that's also my theory about why they are going bankrupt... upload caps severely minimize my satisfaction of the service... that and the fact they won't allow me to run a web server).

#10 ·
im on pac bell dsl right now, but in the next room we have roadrunner cable and both are working great.

dont ask why we have both... i dont pay for them :)

#13 ·
??????

I dont get it then.If im running ATT @home Cable modem,and they told me that they have a national outage due to some chapt 13 or 11 then why are you up and running??

and why does my PC make a funny sound when i log onto the net,,static sounds with beeps??? what is this alien noise im not aware of?
:lol:

I WANT MY CABLE MODEM BACK NOW!!!!!!

BTW i am in the Seattle area

#14 ·
Well...

Mike91GL

I used to run a server on the ISP from @home... I loved it I was getting between 1.5 and 3 Mbit down and nearly 1Mbit up which was outstanding from a cable modem!!! Several people from PT remember that this (once) was the case, as I has several downloadable files served over my website. It truly was great.

BUT!!! As usual, the morons at @HOME and Comcast decided that they didn't want people to host websites on their service in fear of degrading the service for others (at the time they were surviving financially). They first notified me of the change in their policy... and after I tried fighting it to retain my website VIA @HOME the have permanently blocked my HTTP serving ports (I believe port 443 or something). Now I can set up a website.. it just won't be accessable to anyone outside my house network because they have the HTTP ports closed at their router.

THEN!!! Further to my dismay! They dicided to impose an upload cap! (mind you this was in an area that suffered NO peak time slow downs... I never complained about my cable service EVER I never had any trouble getting any file from any capable website and ALWAYS found that the limitation was on the other end (IE the server at the site I was trying to download from)... at the same time I could upload to myself at school or friends or family at 100+k/s and I'm not talking bits there! This was truly T1 performance on a cable line and I loved it. But then... they capped my upload speeds... little over 2 months ago. Now my uploads are capped to 15k/s and my general upload connection to the web is 128Kbps. ALSO at the same time... I am no longer getting download speeds above 1.5Mbits and whenever anybody is uploading from me my downloading capabilities are severely reduced because all of the upload bandwidth is being controlled by a router at my ISP and the uploader gets the priority, meaning there is no excess bandwidth to transfer TCP confirmation packets.

NO Surprize to me at all they are in financial trouble... In my opinion this was a really stupid decision, especially for my area where there were no peak time service degradation issues where everybody used to be happy. Since the upload caps were imposed I know of several people that have canceled the service (myself almost one of them) and now they have file bankruptcy (gee... if you disappoint your customers by degrading their service... I can't imagine why you might loose money!) Customers are everything Fooos!

If I can find an alternative high speed internet I will not hesitate.

The internet is a big part of life in america and it ABSOLUTELY needs to be more readily available and at high speeds! Unfortunately our economy is suffering at the moment, one of the reasons being that the internet and the technologies haven't lived up to their "promise". Many people are still afraid of "E-comerce" and I blame that on the huge reduction in stock values of "e-comerce" corporations which only a year or two represented a HUGE percent of the total North American Economy.

I hope that all of you that were dropped are now or will soon be back online at a high speed, and that the management of the financially struggling Excite@Home can realize that if they put their customers first, and reduce prices while maintaining high quality of service, that they will gain back customer support. But on another note, the economy is scary! and if people start cutting corners I'm afraid it could start with the internet. High speed isn't cheap at $40-50 a month, especially if you are starting to get that insecure feeling about your job (which many are).

I wish us all luck, and I hope that the internet won't become another casualty in the falling economy!

Come on guys lets get the ball rolling again.

#16 ·
snapdad said:
My @home is still working! I heard that only the att@home people are shut down right now. I don't know if this is true or not. I can't believe the assholes want us to use netzero if there is an outage.

I dont know whats going on,i certainly dont/wont use Netzero.

But i just got my service back right now.

Me so Happy

#18 ·
Dial up sucks. My cable access just quit on me. This better be something unrelated to this other bs or I'm raising hell. Did I mention dial up sucks?

EDIT: OOPS, false alarm. It came back up.

#20 ·
Ryanpzz said:
Well...

Mike91GL

I used to run a server on the ISP from @home... I loved it I was getting between 1.5 and 3 Mbit down and nearly 1Mbit up which was outstanding from a cable modem!!! Several people from PT remember that this (once) was the case, as I has several downloadable files served over my website. It truly was great.

BUT!!! As usual, the morons at @HOME and Comcast decided that they didn't want people to host websites on their service in fear of degrading the service for others (at the time they were surviving financially). They first notified me of the change in their policy... and after I tried fighting it to retain my website VIA @HOME the have permanently blocked my HTTP serving ports (I believe port 443 or something). Now I can set up a website.. it just won't be accessable to anyone outside my house network because they have the HTTP ports closed at their router.

THEN!!! Further to my dismay! They dicided to impose an upload cap! (mind you this was in an area that suffered NO peak time slow downs... I never complained about my cable service EVER I never had any trouble getting any file from any capable website and ALWAYS found that the limitation was on the other end (IE the server at the site I was trying to download from)... at the same time I could upload to myself at school or friends or family at 100+k/s and I'm not talking bits there! This was truly T1 performance on a cable line and I loved it. But then... they capped my upload speeds... little over 2 months ago. Now my uploads are capped to 15k/s and my general upload connection to the web is 128Kbps. ALSO at the same time... I am no longer getting download speeds above 1.5Mbits and whenever anybody is uploading from me my downloading capabilities are severely reduced because all of the upload bandwidth is being controlled by a router at my ISP and the uploader gets the priority, meaning there is no excess bandwidth to transfer TCP confirmation packets.

NO Surprize to me at all they are in financial trouble... In my opinion this was a really stupid decision, especially for my area where there were no peak time service degradation issues where everybody used to be happy. Since the upload caps were imposed I know of several people that have canceled the service (myself almost one of them) and now they have file bankruptcy (gee... if you disappoint your customers by degrading their service... I can't imagine why you might loose money!) Customers are everything Fooos!

If I can find an alternative high speed internet I will not hesitate.

The internet is a big part of life in america and it ABSOLUTELY needs to be more readily available and at high speeds! Unfortunately our economy is suffering at the moment, one of the reasons being that the internet and the technologies haven't lived up to their "promise". Many people are still afraid of "E-comerce" and I blame that on the huge reduction in stock values of "e-comerce" corporations which only a year or two represented a HUGE percent of the total North American Economy.

I hope that all of you that were dropped are now or will soon be back online at a high speed, and that the management of the financially struggling Excite@Home can realize that if they put their customers first, and reduce prices while maintaining high quality of service, that they will gain back customer support. But on another note, the economy is scary! and if people start cutting corners I'm afraid it could start with the internet. High speed isn't cheap at $40-50 a month, especially if you are starting to get that insecure feeling about your job (which many are).

I wish us all luck, and I hope that the internet won't become another casualty in the falling economy!

Come on guys lets get the ball rolling again.
well if you get digital satelite service the only problem is you have to go through A O hell because they are the only company that offers it that i know of but it rocks for downlaods.10 times faster then cable for its a true digitaly sent signal. oh and bonus it allows you direct uplink capabilities if you wann move your dish around 90$ amonth though :(

#21 ·
What kind's of speeds are you getting up and down with the satellite, what kind of hardware is necessary, how much downtime, and how bad are latency times?

AOL sucks too BTW, If I could use the satelite internet without their shitty software that would be the only way I'd consider it.

Latency times are kind of crappy generally because of how far a distance the information has to travel to get to and from the satellite and then to repeater stations and then the ground support network stations. Generally 28 thousand miles up then down then TCP recieve confirmation packets have to make it the reverse trip 28 thousand mile up and then down before you can send infirmation via satelite to and from the internet... I'm curious as to what the system offers, but so far I haven't heard anything about it being available in my area, at least not at speeds that would warrant getting rid of my cable access.

I'll have to look into it again

#24 ·
Vulcan Power said:
Does the weather affect satellite transmissions? I know this used to be a problem years back.
The problem a few years back was they depended solely on line-of-sight technology which allowed for disruption if something came in between the line for a long enough time.

Know a days they back the signal with an interlaced radio-infared signal that allows the line to be disrupted with out losing signal data transfer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.