Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DK,

I'm not familiar at all with the AMD chipsets or what they accomodate. I have had a recent price list for RAM from one of our suppliers and have found that RAM has fallen to levels I have never seen before. The thing is, is the 1.2Ghz, 266MHz FSB able to accomodate the standard SD RAM or just the DDR RAM??

New prices for SD RAM..

64MB PC133 .......... $38
128MB PC133 .......... $63
256MB PC133 .......... $132

If SDRAM is suitable for the AMD chipset, I wouldn't mind stocking up on some RAM, we don't how long these prices will last.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Just as a comparision. Single stick sd 128m 168 pin 133 will cost me $128 down here:(
The pc I have looked at are AMD and have sd ram if that helps.

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
The AMD 266 Mhz Chips run at a 133 mhz Front Side bus so they should be able to operate on 133mhz SD RAM, I will do some checks and confirm this :D

V

·
0 Posts
JEM:
Could u give me the name/company of your supplyer and or email/ website or phone number??
Greatly appreciated,
V8FG

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I picked up a 133MHZ 256 Meg ram stick for $100 on the w/e brand new....

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
V8 Ford Guy said:
JEM:
Could u give me the name/company of your supplyer and or email/ website or phone number??
Greatly appreciated,
V8FG
Sorry for the late response mate. I see there are links to the info for you by now, but anyway, the guys I was talking about are CMI (Computer Manufacture Integration). They're off Grimshaw Street, Greensborough, Melbourne, so considering your in Syndey, no good to you anyway mate.

DK, yeah the prices are good for SDRAM, and I did suspect that the AMD would be sweet with SDRAM, the only thing is, I probably prefer to have DDRAM in the thing.:D ;)

Did you hear about the deal AMD and nVidia are gonna stitch up?

Here's a news article about it.

AMD has announced that nVidia will be using its HyperTransport technology within its nForce graphics chipset, effectively making Athlon the chip of choice for many PC owners.
Indeed, this could just be the start of the bleak news for Intel, with ATi also working with the technology. If it performs as well as AMD claims - a potential 40-fold increase in data throughput - Intel could become a poor second choice, combined with its expensive RAMBUS memory as opposed to both AMD and nVidia's support for much cheaper DDR.

HyperTransport is a unidirectional packet-based, point-to-point technology. What this means is that it allows chips within a system to communicate with each other much faster, at bandwidths as great as 12.8Gb/sec, reducing the number of buses within a system and therefore the number of possible bottlenecks. It also allows components that process data at a slower rate to be kept out of the way from critical information paths. Additionally, it's possible to daisy chain up to 32 devices per channel.

More than 100 partners are currently interested in HyperTransport, including the likes of Cisco, Sun, VIA and Fujitsu

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
Yeah i saw a little bit about that, should be quite interesting....

Did you hear about the AMD motherboards being made by nVidia with an on board Geforce 2 GTS :eek: :D :D :D :D

Can anyone say Bye Bye Intel :D

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DONUT KING said:
Yeah i saw a little bit about that, should be quite interesting....

Did you hear about the AMD motherboards being made by nVidia with an on board Geforce 2 GTS :eek: :D :D :D :D

Can anyone say Bye Bye Intel :D
Cool, but how about GeForce3 onboard??

Besides, I don't like all this onboard crap.

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
JEM said:

Cool, but how about GeForce3 onboard??

Besides, I don't like all this onboard crap.
I don't much like onboard stuff, but thats usually cos it runs crap cos the quality of onboard stuff is low... but hell a GF2 onboard is pretty cool stuff and fairly recent technology :)

LOL! GF3 onboard? Only if you want to pay upwards of $1000 for a motherboard :eek:

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DONUT KING said:

I don't much like onboard stuff, but thats usually cos it runs crap cos the quality of onboard stuff is low... but hell a GF2 onboard is pretty cool stuff and fairly recent technology :)

LOL! GF3 onboard? Only if you want to pay upwards of $1000 for a motherboard :eek:
Ahh, it's only money:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
5 Participants
V8 Ford Guy
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing