Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mr Sensible...
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there it seems my hi-fi amp does not have the grunt or does not been set up properly

Here it is- the spec

Pioneer VSX-D510 digital receiver- 100W X 5 (true) RMS- DTS/ Dolby Digital
0.2% THD- front speakers
- 20Hz-20Khz- whatever they call it.
inputs rated at- 5-100000 Hz +0 -3Db

Sony CDP-CE405 5 Disc Stacker- 5X oversampling conecte to HI-FI's CD input.

Jensen USA Millenium Series SPX-7 Speakers- X2
- 150W RMS- 93Db- 6Ohms- 28Hz-21Khz- terrorifyingly loud and crystal clear.
-setup in analogue mode no multi-speaker setups used.

Mega expensive oxygen free cables- gold RCA interconnects.

So heres the problem- Playing very clear trebely (treble) artists from the
CD player like Casey Chambers, Emmylou Harris or Heather Nova sometimes gives 'ATT' errors on the HI-FI. An ATT error is a attenuation error when the input signal is too high. Is the CD Player had it- possibly, has the HI_FI cannot handle the signal- likerly or are my speakers being overdriven- doubt that or the CD input RCA cables need better setups. Do I have to adjust the treble/base speaker settings?

Though when I play the same songs out from my computer via Mp3 at
224(hi-bit- hi-fi)/256 (studio) 324kbs (mastering) on winamp 2.5 connected into the HI-FI there are no errors given.

Any ideas welcome. I've got all January to much around with the HI-FI.
If all else fails I'll simply get and begrugingly spent $$ on a decent Yamaha or Harmon-Kardon setup as I have a feeling the HI-FI cannot meet the speakers quality but I hope I don't have to do that.

·
354 Posts
Hey,

Sounds like the output signal from your CD Player. Does your CD Player have any adjustments?

I've got a Yamaha amp - fantastic sound - had no problems with it at all.

·
Wildlife Photographer
1,413 Posts
If I were you, I'd buy a DVD-player and connect it to your amp optically or atleast coaxially.
And I'd stop playing Casey Chambers too ! ;)

·
Mr Sensible...
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes Casey Chambers has a nice voice- its a acquired taste its just Shania Twain voice that makes me go all psycotic her voice is so 'caustic' like claws down a bloomin blackboard. If you say one bad word about Emmylou Harris I'll get a tommahawk and use it like the iron chefs do, on you :wnc: . That lady can sing, as you can see im a country fan. I think it has something to do with the RCA imput cable from the CD im going to replace it.

·
freelance
1,086 Posts
Starscream said:
Hi there it seems my hi-fi amp does not have the grunt or does not been set up properly

Here it is- the spec

Pioneer VSX-D510 digital receiver- 100W X 5 (true) RMS- DTS/ Dolby Digital
0.2% THD- front speakers
- 20Hz-20Khz- whatever they call it.
inputs rated at- 5-100000 Hz +0 -3Db

Sony CDP-CE405 5 Disc Stacker- 5X oversampling conecte to HI-FI's CD input.

Jensen USA Millenium Series SPX-7 Speakers- X2
- 150W RMS- 93Db- 6Ohms- 28Hz-21Khz- terrorifyingly loud and crystal clear.
-setup in analogue mode no multi-speaker setups used.

Mega expensive oxygen free cables- gold RCA interconnects.

So heres the problem- Playing very clear trebely (treble) artists from the
CD player like Casey Chambers, Emmylou Harris or Heather Nova sometimes gives 'ATT' errors on the HI-FI. An ATT error is a attenuation error when the input signal is too high. Is the CD Player had it- possibly, has the HI_FI cannot handle the signal- likerly or are my speakers being overdriven- doubt that or the CD input RCA cables need better setups. Do I have to adjust the treble/base speaker settings?

Though when I play the same songs out from my computer via Mp3 at
224(hi-bit- hi-fi)/256 (studio) 324kbs (mastering) on winamp 2.5 connected into the HI-FI there are no errors given.

Any ideas welcome. I've got all January to much around with the HI-FI.
If all else fails I'll simply get and begrugingly spent $$ on a decent Yamaha or Harmon-Kardon setup as I have a feeling the HI-FI cannot meet the speakers quality but I hope I don't have to do that.
Are the speakers in phase?

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
Oooh . . . casey chambers must die (or at least stfu) imo . . . I almost kill myself every time "true colours" comes on the radio . . .

VanGelder, optical or digital co-ax connections are good, but in general DVD players are not the same quality as decent cd players . . .

Starscream, I can't see that it would be hi-fi > speakers, so I'd be checking that player > hi-fi area first . . .
I'd be trying a different CD player if you can get one. I kinda suspect its doing something weird.
I don't know how old / good the player is, but I have some expensive sony gear myself atm, but am beginning to have serious doubts about whether I would buy sony again in the future.

·
Mr Sensible...
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
XR8 Lamah you are right the quality of Sony equipment has repidly degraded over the past 10 years and that does not just include hi-fi's its everything they makes. Sony have turned into 'brand whores' who sell out their name to anyone with some money to spare. They are made in any factory everywhere with little QC or stringent quality standards they were once known for. Yes the problem everybody is the CD player and im buying a better one without the 'Sony' name on it. Apart from their pathetic TV advertising thats all their good for their all their products should be fitted with a dead weight and sent to the bottom of the Marianna Trench. I spent $750 bucks on that thing and its not even worth hitting a stray cat on the head. If your looking for something Japanese with quality Panasonic are good, Onkyo are fantastic, AIWA used to be good but they went the way of Sony, Pioneer are great (probably the one im getting), Metz, Marantz, Harmon Kardon (the best of the best but $$$ but they last forever just about).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts