Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one please tell my why nobody is using the 351W as a basis for increasing cubic inches rather than stroking the 302W??
Yes I am aware that the 351W is 1" taller in the deck and this would move the heads closer to the towers, but the AUs have 4" more clearance between the towers than XA-XF!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The Doc was building an AU1 with a 351w in it. He hasn't been around lately so I don't know how it went.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
low428 said:
Can any one please tell my why nobody is using the 351W as a basis for increasing cubic inches rather than stroking the 302W??
Yes I am aware that the 351W is 1" taller in the deck and this would move the heads closer to the towers, but the AUs have 4" more clearance between the towers than XA-XF!
Easy to explain. No engineering required. Easy to do with the engine you ALREADY have, and no hassles whatsoever with drivetrain mating, electronics etc.

·
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast
478 Posts
All that and the fact that roller capable 351 blocks only started being produced in 93 and we dont normally get the donor vehicles (ie 90's F series and Broncos). Also EFI intakes for 351s are relatively scarce over here.

Dont forget the bonnet clearance issues too. Assuming an intake of the same relative height as a 302 version and a 351 block with 9.5" deck height you're looking at 3 inches more height to it.

Also in talking to the Doc some time back he mentioned that although there is space between the shock towers some of the electronics that inhabit the bay would interfere with the larger engine and would have to be shifted slightly or relocated elsewhere.

X

·
0 Posts
Well, I know of an EA with a 351W in it.

It basically fell in there. He even used XR-Y type Pacemaker try-y headers which just bolted in.

The only reason it fits under the bonnet is that it's LPG only.

351C's fit very well too. Of course that means a custom intake or a modified 351W aftermarket intake like a TFS-R or Victor 5.8.

Even My XE with XF panels will not allow a 351W to fit under the bonnet. TFS-R intake is 11.5" high from the top of the block.
I'm going to do it anyway though.

I think a lot of people want to get away with doing things without too much work. This is really the reason you don't see more of this type of conversion.
The thing is it's a more durable engine in the long run. It's cheaper to stroke and more durable when stroked than a 302.
Mine will be 391ci with Scat crank $1100 and 020" over 302W pistons $270. Not to mention the massive torque.
Crane make retro-roller cams for all Ford V8's so no problem there. Plus there's a choice of 5 or 6 different intakes.

Pete.

·
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast
478 Posts
Speaking of intake heights for these Pete I asked the BXR guys about the height of their's back in May and this is the reply I got:

APPROXIMATELY 9.8 INCHES ABOVE LEADING END OF CHINA ALL ON BLOCK(FRONT SEALING SURFACE OF MANIFOLD TO BLOCK)

Now if you take the leap to the EEC5 at the same type you can avoid the whole dizzy relocation that the BXR requires and possibly even get away without any bonnet mods. Still not as cheap as the TFS jobbie but the difference will be less when fitment issues are factored in.

Besides then you can tell Leon "mine's bigger than yours". :)

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Tell me where to find details of the BXR intake.

X

·
0 Posts
anakha said:
Speaking of intake heights for these Pete I asked the BXR guys about the height of their's back in May and this is the reply I got:

APPROXIMATELY 9.8 INCHES ABOVE LEADING END OF CHINA ALL ON BLOCK(FRONT SEALING SURFACE OF MANIFOLD TO BLOCK)

Now if you take the leap to the EEC5 at the same type you can avoid the whole dizzy relocation that the BXR requires and possibly even get away without any bonnet mods. Still not as cheap as the TFS jobbie but the difference will be less when fitment issues are factored in.

Besides then you can tell Leon "mine's bigger than yours". :)
Actually the BXR on the 5.0(leons) hits the bonnet. He's had to make slight bulge. So the 351 BXR would be way up through the bonnet.
The problem with the BXR is not so much the height, but how far foward the height is. My friend Vic with a blown 347 EA says it hits the bonnet of his car too.

I think Ive got the code for enabling pin 24 CID (cam shaft position) on the EECIV. So I may be able to go for an EDIS system and hence no dizzy.
Other wise you can belt drive the dizzy off the front of the engine.

Pete.

T

·
0 Posts
these are some of the problems I am having stuffing a 5.8 into an XR8.
*FOR THOSE THAT SAY...YEAH BUT I*.........this is my car, not yours, this is the problems I am having, not you, I am doing this differently to what should be done normal. So dont whinge and moan until after you read this.

relocation of the radiator header tank.
relocation of the battery holder.
different wiring compared to standard XR8.
twin throttle body setup.
relocation of radiator.
relocation of transmission cooler.
solid mounting of engine to chassis.
head to shock tower braces. (stroker).

thats just a start.

·
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast
478 Posts
Its all just a matter of finding the right shoehorn for the job.

If a quad cam 4.6 mod motor can be squeezed into an AU then an EFI 351 should be cake in comparison. Sure some adjustments may need to be done but certainly doable.

X

·
0 Posts
Ok Doc, I have questions below;

relocation of the battery holder. .....Why?

different wiring compared to standard XR8......Why?

twin throttle body setup.......Why?

relocation of radiator........Why?

solid mounting of engine to chassis.......What for?

thats just a start. [/B][/QUOTE]

Pete.

T

·
0 Posts
XR9UTE said:
Ok Doc, I have questions below;

relocation of the battery holder. .....Why?

different wiring compared to standard XR8......Why?

twin throttle body setup.......Why?

relocation of radiator........Why?

solid mounting of engine to chassis.......What for?

thats just a start.
Pete. [/B][/QUOTE]
my header tank is in the way of what I want to do.
so is the battery holder.
the wiring on the 5.8 is different to what I have. just need a few plugs changed to suit.
as for the twin throttle body setup, why not. one of a kind.
radiator has to be moved forward slightly to one side. (no big drama.
transmission cooler will be moved in front of radiator, at present sits to low and gets covered in gunk.
solid mounting of engine to chassis, so I dont have buy new mounts when they break.
as for the braces, havent decided yet.

X

·
0 Posts
THE DOCTOR said:
my header tank is in the way of what I want to do.
so is the battery holder.
the wiring on the 5.8 is different to what I have. just need a few plugs changed to suit.
as for the twin throttle body setup, why not. one of a kind.
radiator has to be moved forward slightly to one side. (no big drama.
transmission cooler will be moved in front of radiator, at present sits to low and gets covered in gunk.
solid mounting of engine to chassis, so I dont have buy new mounts when they break.
as for the braces, havent decided yet. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ok Doc,
Why is the wiring different? You're still using the EECV aren't you?

Having a twin t-body to be "one of a kind"doesn't sound like a real reason...what intake have you got?

Mounting the engine solid is going to be awfully harsh. Why don't you get some of those mounts(I forget their name sorry) that are made of urethane and cannot break? I'll try to find out what they are called if you like?
I know a guy that went with solid mounts once...it was, to say the least Horrible! It's really a drag only option..not a street car option. But then I don't know what your intention is for this car?

Pete.

T

·
0 Posts
the wiring (plugs) are different to what I have on the car. the engine is out of an f-series from the states. plus where I want to place things I have to either re-route some wiring and/or extend other existing wiring. I chose to go solid mount, because of past experience with b-block engines. I use to chain the left hand mount to the frame, but still broke the mounts, now Im just going the solid mount, and the car can rock and not the engine.

the twin throttle body is standard on the f-series engine when I bought it. I decided then and there that that was part of my project. the only drama I really have is the fact the AU is MAP and the 5.8 is MAF. Plus part of the project is to stroke the 5.8 to 427. So hopefully by the time Im finished Ill have the car I want.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts