Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, just gathering ideas. **will say nothing at the moment**

The engine in question is the 175kw basic falcon/fairmont AU V8 how easy is it to unleash more power? My knowledge isn't too great about V8's at the moment.

I know from 175kw to 185kw Tickford put a free flow exhaust and computer tweaks.
I'm wondering where would i go beyond that, or is it a waste of time. Keeping in mind my current EF puts out a healthy dose of power like over 115kw at the wheels. Will this V8/Auto combo be much more punchier than my Manual 6.

What heads does the 175kw have and if i say want to build it to 200kw is it achievable with a relatively cheap budget. Do i have to start mucking around with GT40P heads nad upper and lower intake manifolds.

To sum it up i don't want to go backwards in power from what i have now.

Thanks in Advanced...

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
Has the modification bug sunk it's teeth in further????
It all comes down to $$$$$ depends on what you want to achieve.... Have you thought about a supercharger???

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jase_ELXR8 said:
Has the modification bug sunk it's teeth in further????
It all comes down to $$$$$ depends on what you want to achieve.... Have you thought about a supercharger???
Jase,

Nah mate don't want to modify my car any further, just trying to gather up abit of information on a Fairmont V8. Basically like i mentioned i don't want to go backwards. I basically want a stronger plateform, later model car and perhaps make it around 145kw at the wheels in the future.

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
Gaz, you've not done major mods to the existing 6, so there's no way you'd be going backwards with the sort of V8 you're considering. I'd be more worried about your choice of gearbox.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
I think the A.U has a reasonable inlet? Throttle body & maf are bigger [more flow]. Than prviouse models. I suggest..Or look at..

1: 7 roller rockers,[keep std cam] head tidy up, port and raise compression slightly with GOOD valve springs.Then fuel regulator if 19 Lp injectors to raise fuel pressure.Good exhaust..Should have close to 200 kw engine.. Or more!!

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
As for a beginner how bout the usual... intake & exhaust mods

·
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast
478 Posts
Does anyone know for certain whether the non AU V8s run the same heads and intake as AU1 XR8s? MY feeling is yes as the engines are basically the last of the Explorer V8s. If so then getting close to 200kw should be cake if you upgrade the cam, rockers, MAF, thottle body, exhaust and computer tune it. Shouldn't be all that expensive either if the cam is changed with the engine still in the car.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anakha said:
Does anyone know for certain whether the non AU V8s run the same heads and intake as AU1 XR8s? MY feeling is yes as the engines are basically the last of the Explorer V8s. If so then getting close to 200kw should be cake if you upgrade the cam, rockers, MAF, thottle body, exhaust and computer tune it. Shouldn't be all that expensive either if the cam is changed with the engine still in the car.
Hmm thats not bad, so to sum it up could i get around 200kw for roughly another $1000 worth of mods after the basic upgrade of exhaust, extractors and intake?

·
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast
478 Posts
EF_Falcon_GuY

Re your intake, are the runners in-line or staggered where the upper meets the lower?

I'd say you'd be up for more like 2k for all the parts and labour. Roller rockers and good cams cost a bit as do aftermarket MAFs.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
anakha:
The cam in a sprint does it actually have less duration to std H.O cam?[The difference is 1:7 R/rockers.So I ask would 1:7 r/r be sufficient? Then heads + bigger valves,throttle body and maf,E.c.u,Inlet too depending on what model your car is.. The Sprint puts out closs to 200 kw.On www.corral.net forums tech/ windsor they discuss/debate this often.Depends how far you want to go!! How serious the other parts have been done.Keep in mind the earlier maf's [air meters] are only 55mm..So 170 kw is excellent!!!Even more so when you see the small ports on e7 heads..Which can be ported ofcourse..

·
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast
478 Posts
ebxr8240

I agree with what you're saying. If the non XR AU has the Explorer intake and p heads as I suspect though then much of the work has been done for a good combo.

Yes the Sprint/GT cam has less duration but more lift. As you would already know a more efficient port requires less time to fill the chamber.

With modifying the older 5L motors XR8Chic's car is a good example of what can be achived with the ported stock heads. She is making over 150 rear wheel kw and that is still with the stock intake, MAF and TB.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
anakha said:
ebxr8240

I agree with what you're saying. If the non XR AU has the Explorer intake and p heads as I suspect though then much of the work has been done for a good combo.

Yes the Sprint/GT cam has less duration but more lift. As you would already know a more efficient port requires less time to fill the chamber.

With modifying the older 5L motors XR8Chic's car is a good example of what can be achived with the ported stock heads. She is making over 150 rear wheel kw and that is still with the stock intake, MAF and TB.
Ok like i mentioned earlier my knowledge of V8's is limited so i might be asking dumb questions. But say after exhaust work, if i get the GT40P upper intake manifold and a bigger maf say 65mm and a cam (profile similar liek the 200kw engines) would that make my engine around the 200kw.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
YES 70 mm maf and atleast 65mm throttle body..
What I'm trying to say is Anakha's car can do low 14's ok.

So I wouldn't change cam i.m.o, but change to 1:72 roller rockers so instead 444 in lift it's. 476 by my poor math's with marginally more duration. So they do make a difference.The big advantage is you get a real LONG power band, not just top end.No hassles with idling,low torque, tuning etc.
Now that I have recomended that I have to say I have an svo cam in my car, & other stuff. But it depends how much $$ you want to spend and what you want to do with your car. Ford have done a good job of the Sprint engine,so it would be good sence to copy or close to it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts