Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible to put a 9 inch into a au ute? i am aware that that brake's and stud pattern would need to be changed and som other stuff......

thanks graham

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a bunch.... you wouldnt happened to know how much it would cost?????

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
dont think the stud pattern would need changing but the offset will be totally different.. No idea how they woud compensate for that though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if i were to get a 9 inch for the ute there wouldnt be any problems though? could anyone see it costing any more than 1000bucks if i were to provide the diff

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i will have to see

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
i think you would have to use an F series housing and axles and have em shortened to the au width, the rear track on an au ute is pretty wide, would be wider than a xa-xd, so one of those diffs wouldnt suit....
im pretty sure the hduty au diff axles are 28 spline like the 9'..
they would just use these , and make the housing to suit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for that tikfd6 and philstoj i will ask around at a few shop to see what the damage would be.

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
It's certainly been done (I can't help you with any useful info re what, where, how though) and at least it's a ute - imagine how much more complicated it would be if you had the Watt's Linkage suspension! So long as the axle housing was reasonably similar in width to the normal diff (as philstoj said it's likely to be a bit narrower) you may be ok with just using different offset wheels, eg EL wheels rather than AU.

Since TIKFD6 doesn't mention a 6 speed in his sig, I'd assume he decided he didn't need one that badly once he found out the price - likewise do you really need a 9" in the first place with the 6 cyl? They are also a lot heavier than the normal diff as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts