Ford Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all,
My names Tiffani,
I'm new to the group and new to having this fairlane in my life and just wanted to know a few things as im thinking of having it in my life longer then I actually originally planned, as I have fallin in love with the car. I was just for the moment thinking of changing the dash and stereo area to either ba or fg as I like stereo/dash areas better then in the fairlane and would like to change the tape deck over to disks as the tape conversion to aux keep failing on me. Id also like to know if the fg leather front seats will fit in the au ghia.

Sorry if this seems like some stupid questions to some of you, But I honestly havent found much or actually know where to start looking for mods for my car and what fits where and what I can change on the ghia, as I dont have any mates with the same car and I have only had the car for around 3/4 months now. looking in the near future to also do a xr6 turbo swap once im off my Ps.

I havent touched the car in any mods ways as of yet and it hasnt been modified in anyway what so ever either. So any mods you guys can think of I would grately appreiciate. Also I'm P plated in Vic.

·
Super Moderator
3,872 Posts
It would not really be practical to change the dash to one from a later car as the wiring harness for the instruments and ECU (engine and transmission control)) would not be compatible. The seats may fit bolt pattern wise but the wiring for the passive air bag system of the later seats and other electronic seat adjustments from the later model aren't compatible so again it would be somewhat impractical or at least involve a lot of customer wiring hacks. The turbo transplant will also have similar issues (you will need to change the ECU and all the engine bay wiring). None of the proposed changes will be economical in the long run as changing your car from stock and turning it into a "Frankenstein car" will considerable decrease it's market and trade-in value. This is particularly so with a Fairlane where there are usually less buyers in the market and those that exist are generally from the older age group and much more so looking to buying pristine unmolested examples. Just save your money up and trade it up on a later model LTD, Fairlane, Falcon or whatever else appeals to you when you can afford it. Money invested in creating a "Frankenstein car" even if you could get it all working correctly (and that will be a challenge to say the least) will be money down the drain and will also mean a much bigger loss on sale or trade in. The older AU and onward Fairlanes and LTD were not made in big numbers and are becoming less common more collectable so keep it as stock and as pristine as possible and it may even make you a profit when time comes to sell it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would not really be practical to change the dash to one from a later car as the wiring harness for the instruments and ECU (engine and transmission control)) would not be compatible. The seats may fit bolt pattern wise but the wiring for the passive air bag system of the later seats and other electronic seat adjustments from the later model aren't compatible so again it would be somewhat impractical or at least involve a lot of customer wiring hacks. The turbo transplant will also have similar issues (you will need to change the ECU and all the engine bay wiring). None of the proposed changes will be economical in the long run as changing your car from stock and turning it into a "Frankenstein car" will considerable decrease it's market and trade-in value. This is particularly so with a Fairlane where there are usually less buyers in the market and those that exist are generally from the older age group and much more so looking to buying pristine unmolested examples. Just save your money up and trade it up on a later model LTD, Fairlane, Falcon or whatever else appeals to you when you can afford it. Money invested in creating a "Frankenstein car" even if you could get it all working correctly (and that will be a challenge to say the least) will be money down the drain and will also mean a much bigger loss on sale or trade in. The older AU and onward Fairlanes and LTD were not made in big numbers and are becoming less common more collectable so keep it as stock and as pristine as possible and it may even make you a profit when time comes to sell it.
Thank you for your message and I will take that into consideration. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,872 Posts
BTW the seats from the FG will not bolt in. If you still want to pursue this I suggest you download the full factory workshop manuals (WSMs) from Ford for you car and the vehilcles you want to source parts from at https://www.motorcraftservice.com. The $21.95 for a 72 hour subscription is a bargain and despite the NBN will give you all the time you need. This will allow you to check body and trim dimensions and wiring diagrams etc. Just note a) if a section of a manual is missing, it means it is unchanged from the previous model(s) and you will need to down those bit of the previous model(s) WSM; and b) each page is barcoded to the individual subscribers identity so no sharing if you don't want to be sued for copyright breaches. I don't know what Australian state you are in but likely you would also need an expensive engineering certificate to get the proposed turbo transplant past the licensing authority for any periodic roadworthy certification that may apply and it some states simply would not be allowed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts