Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had my 99 laser, i never had it in for any repairs, although the car was **** gutless and full of rattles.

When i decided on buying the falcon, i was a little concerned about buying an Australian built car, because i believed the aussies could not build a good enough car like the japs.

But my Falcon has been quite good, however it has been in for a few warranty jobs:

* Squeaky upper ball joint on front susp.
* 2 Wheel alignments
* headlight aim
* tight power steering
* Fuel consumption high
* Noisy Door seal

The car is 14 months old now, and is starting to feel a little 'loose' e.g. when you go over harsh bumps you can feel lots of things rattle around.
When the car was new, it felt very tight and no matter how harsh the bump in the road it held together very well.

But there are no constant annoying rattles like my laser had after 1 month...

Id be keen to hear everyone elses experiences with service history and quality of their falcon now that they have had it for some time.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Interesting you mention headlight aim. I do a lot of night driving and find a lot of AU Falcs have lights aimed high. It's annoying.

Fuel consumption seems to be a problem, I'll sit back and be objective on that one!

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Yeah i admit fuel consumption on falcon auto's is heaps worse that manuals. I drive mainly on highways when i do drive to work i notice a big difference from my car and dad's car.
On the EL i'm hard pressed if the car can get over 500km on a tank, but my car even with driving hard i reckon i can get 600km easy.

About build quality the aussie cars have still got a few things lacking compared to the japs, but they have come along way since the 80's though.
But ruggedness, it goes the aussie cars way, i'm impressed that my engine at 190k is still very tight feels the same as i came outta the show room, "touch wood" ;) .
With honda's we had in previous years after 100k you can feel the engine is not tigght despite the rest of the car still is.

·
How bloody Hot is it ??!!
264 Posts
I've had a few warranty jobs

Power windows - two switches and 1 motor ( all at seperate times of course !!)

Leaking boot ( where the rear spoiler is)

as i'm nearing the 50K service, i'm saving some little things to check..:read:

·
Australian AU 1 Futura Member
77 Posts
Have had similiar problems with the headlights - especially when 2 or 3 people are in the back seat. Traded in the sedan on the same car but in wagon format - no problems now. The wagon leaf springs keep the whole deal sitting nice and flat no matter how many are in the back seat now. I suspect that vehicles with the sports suspension would also reflect improved headlight performance. It's only a theory - does any body else have any experiences to add?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Got a good friend who has an AUII XR6 ute and is considering trading it in on a Commodore ute. He is pretty fussy about his gear and isn't happy with fit and finish. Plus the auto is giving troubles. Can't please everyone

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
Mr GTHO said:
Got a good friend who has an AUII XR6 ute and is considering trading it in on a Commodore ute. He is pretty fussy about his gear and isn't happy with fit and finish. Plus the auto is giving troubles. Can't please everyone
If thats the case, it looks like he'll trade the Commodore in too then..

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty petty but I think it comes down to grunt factor. His XR6 doesn't have the VCT engine so it doesn't have the appeal over a Gen 3. It is more about penis envy.

·
BA XR6T
111 Posts
Only three complaints relating to build quality of my 99 XR6...

- centre console vents rattle when they are cold (i.e: when a/c is on).

- the paintwork is so b****y soft that it collects scratches just from being looked at!!!

- RHS rear door was fitted incorrectly such that when closed the top of the rear door was about 6mm higher than it should have been. Dealer said it was front door striker adjustment - a load of c**p!!! I wasn't a panel beater in a past life for nothing - fixed it myself by adjusting the read door hinges.

Otherwise it's just great:p :p

·
EL Fairmont Ghia Member
190 Posts
AU's, the 6 that I have owned, have all had annoying squeaks and rattles in the dash. Usaully around the centre, or above the dual airbag. And seem to rattle more when it is cold, like someone else mentioned. Where as my EL has none.

I think the aim to clear more people off the trim lines and make assembly more efficent is partly to blame. Also the plastic seems cheaper, and less parts seem to be screwed together, more seem to rely on clips, that will eventually weaken.

The ute's (AU1 &2), have all had squeaks in the back, and most need front suspension tightening.

My second AU XR6 sedan, was leaking diff oil, lucky the 1500 service picked that up..........

I won't mention my sisters AU, lets just say it was the last Ford she bought.

I don't think warranty probs are unique to Ford, but *****ing about them does seem to be............

The fuel consumption prob, mu uncles car had it, shall find out what the fix was, something about oil I think..........

Jas

·
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jas, thanks, would be interesting to hear about other's fuel consumption problems! - Might help me fix mine.

FYI, I just filled up with reg, ULP and decided to drive HARD.
After 60 kms the DTE has dropped to 275 and the needle is still on the FULL mark.

(A friend of mine drives this hard and gets 400)

·
7,777 Posts
Mr GTHO said:
The Commo is woeful. He will regret it big time. Having said that, my Dad's new VX is going great. No probs at all and it actually seems well built. Just goes to show that getting a good car can be a lottery!

Just on the consumption issue; his VX is using less than his 2000 model 3.0 Camry did. Impressive! Leaves little hope for the way Fords seem to drink.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
My only grip are the dash board rattles that have been mentioned and a very loud rattle from the front passenger seat.

V

·
0 Posts
Regarding rattles, the only major problem was in my EF. A pole in the door, which was only spot-welded, had gotten loose. I fixed it with a few blasts with the blow-torch

·
EL Fairmont Ghia Member
190 Posts
jaytyn said:
Jas, thanks, would be interesting to hear about other's fuel consumption problems! - Might help me fix mine.

FYI, I just filled up with reg, ULP and decided to drive HARD.
After 60 kms the DTE has dropped to 275 and the needle is still on the FULL mark.

(A friend of mine drives this hard and gets 400)
Jaytyn, I have posted a new topic about the fuel, but basically the problem with his car was a kink in the fuel overflow line or something like that...........

Jason

·
7,777 Posts
If I had to list one area where the Falcon needs improvement in quality it is PAINT. It seems too soft and marks very easily. Most cars have dreadful orange peel too (Falc is better overall than Commo, but it has to improve IMO)

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Only real drama I have with my AU is the drivers window. Doesn't sit right and rattles constantly. Turn up the CD and the problem dissappears instantly. Generally happy with all other elements of the car. This AU see's some pretty harsh work and holds up really well. Paint is another area that needs some work but that seems to be a standard issue no matter what the manufacturer.
The VT I had before it was a dog. Might have been a rotten egg from the factory, but it was pretty ordinary. Rattles and noises everywhere, sloppy auto and the steering on the Festy felt better. Nice ride comfort on the road but when you had to go bush it's true colours shone out.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
V8 Ford Guy said:
Regarding rattles, the only major problem was in my EF. A pole in the door, which was only spot-welded, had gotten loose. I fixed it with a few blasts with the blow-torch
Dude

Why is you photo stuffed and signature sickly?

·
Formerly J-type
1,629 Posts
Well atleast Ford has their showroom cars prepared better than Holdens. When the VT was launched I went to view their cars and they had a Calais there at the local dealership and the interior B-pillar plastic covers had pulled away from the frame leaving a huge gap where the seatbelt hight adjust was.
Talk about rough! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts