Ford Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Problem exists with the four speed Automatic Transmission; Stuck in Limp mode and will of change up.
I have been having seri9us problems now for (3) years, There are (6) Solenoids that control the shifting inside the Borg Warner G/Box, and (1) for the Torque Converter.
My questions are many, to begin with; Can a failed Solenoid cause failure to shift up to higher gear or cause it to go into Limp mode??
Or, am I looking at having to replace the Transmission altogether??

I am desperately Looking for a way to remedy the problem as cheaply as possible !!
Shawshank

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts
Hi. You will find this PDF document useful in troubleshooting your BTR/ION 4 speed auto: https://www.tiperformance.com.au/Reference/Ford_BTR4Speed_Auto.pdf especially page 21 onwards. While this for the EL and older models most of it (except the way to do fault code reading) applies to your AU i.e. Check for broken spring pieces in the 3/4 shift valve, check for wires pushing out of the round 10 pin plug on the side of the transmission (this is the most common and likely cause followed by wiring failures within the tarnsmission), all the items listed on page 33 of the document (especially check for low battery voltage at the transmission) that will put in into limp mode. Most importantly check for transmission fault codes; you car may well be able to tell you, or at least hint at what is wrong with it. IMO the best way to read codes on an AU is to use the Windows version of Forscan (see What's new) and a ELM327 with a USB interface and Ford switch (e.g. Forscan USB Diagnostic Tool HS MS Switch Modified FT32RL ELM327 For Ford MazdaFF 880921492555 | eBay ) . The AU interface is not totally OBD compliant and is unique to this Australian model, so many cheap scan tools won't read the codes but Forscan with a good ELM327 with the Ford switch will. The bluetooth and wifi ELM327's are slower and subject to communication dropouts making them a pain to use so I don't recommend them (although they can be useful for ongoing in car monitoring) and the Windows version of Forscan best supports the AU. The Ford switch is required to access all Forscan functionality. A copy of the official Ford factory workshop manual as a downloadable PDF is also available from Ford at https://www.motorcraftservice.com and a 72 hours subscription at US$21.95 will give you more than enough time to download it several times over. Each page is barcoded to the subscriber so no copyright breaching copying or sharing. Note also if section appear missing it means that section or sections are unchanged from the previous model(s) and you will need to download those parts of those earlier models too. The manual is really essential for checking wiring voltages etc. especially useful is Table 7-1-48 giving voltage ranges in various gear lever positions and throttle conditions for the ECU/PCM pinouts that control the transmission.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts