Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting an average of 19.2L / 100km according to the trip computer, and I average around 400km / tank of 98 RON Premium.

Is this normal? I've never owned a six before so I'm not sure :p

Thanks in advance
Ben

·
Registered
230 Posts
Check your trip computer reading against what you actually put in the tank in litres and the multiples of 100km. If you do 400km and your average is about 19.2L/100km you should stick in about 77litres each fill.
Is the tank that big?
My guess is you have a sensor problem somewhere.
That's way too much fuel.

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
19.2L :AAHHH: you might as well have a big block v8 under the bonnet.

As supermono suggested, oxy sensor or timing issue or ignition issue there Im afraid.

Get it looked at asap!

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
Doesn't sound too good at all! My EL gets about 450-500 around town and 700km's on the highway. And i think the tank is around the 70 litre mark.

I would have thought if anything, the AU's would be a lil better with fuel...If I where you I'd give normal unleaded a go, see how that goes for a full tank, and if its substantially less, then go back, other wise you'll save your self a few bucks each time you feel up. Not really a solution but merely a suggestion!

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, thanks for the replies.

The guys at Ford said that being the VCT Intech it'd suck a bit more.. But this is insane.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Ben Nurmi said:
Hmm, thanks for the replies.

The guys at Ford said that being the VCT Intech it'd suck a bit more.. But this is insane.
Ben
I have an Vct xr6 Ute and when I fist got it ,it used alot of fuel,due to a flat battery and the computer will reset to default settings for mixtures etc....
this may be a possible cause to your problem.
My ute now returns on big trips over 780 to a tank ,although,it still uses more fuel than my El xr6 hp( I miss her). I feel alot happier than the first 4/5 tank fulls,at $80 odd a go.

·
First On Race Day!
47 Posts
I have an AU Fairmont Ghia and I get about 550 km per full 68L tank of 91RON fuel..... and thats about 50/50 highway/city driving. If I was driving all city i'd expect about 350-400 km and all highway about 750-800 Km. One time from the G/C to Syd I did 880 km on one tank..... very happy indeed.

But yeah.... the trip comp can be a bit off sometimes.... I only use it to give me an avg speed or estimated range. There are only meant to be estimates anyway.

But doesn't the thing chew fuel above 3500rpm..... god it sounds good though. Once that VCT kicks in I couldn't care two hoots about how much fuel its chewin.... only about keeping her down the centre of the lane!

·
On the 7th God Made Ford
98 Posts
Dare I suggest U gun it at every light and afta hard brakes?

Its the main reason for my fuel consumption!

Any mods on the engine at all?
If not check Air filter - Tyre Pressures - Injectors - Fuel pump regulator etc
Call Jim Mock Motorsport on 03 9399 4401
Jim or Brendan will tell you practically over the phone

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
VCT is a hungry bastard if you drive it over 2000 revs. Mine was very hungry usually ongly got about 380 out of a tank around town. On highway looked around 700.

·
Registered
237 Posts
i get 550-600 k's off a tank and my trip computer reads bettween 13.3 and 13.5 per 100 k's but iv never really look to see if that right or not

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
XTS220 said:
VCT is a hungry bastard if you drive it over 2000 revs. Mine was very hungry usually ongly got about 380 out of a tank around town. On highway looked around 700.
Yeah, but if i keep it under 2000rpm, the oil pressure guage keeps diving into the red... :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts