Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
boosted sleeper
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell how hard it is to fit AU front wishbone suspension to an E-series and how much it would cost to get done?

Reason I ask is that I have ssen it done on an EF fairmont and he had AU XR rims fitted. I didnt realise it till I asked about it and the dude said he changed the front susp to au.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
29 Posts
would be interesting to see how he has done that they are totaly different setup.

·
boosted sleeper
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tell me about it NZ.

I was told it was worth it at the time but now that you can get AU copies Im not so sure.

The reason I originally asked is because I have a mate who has a set of immaculate AU1 tickford rims in his shed and I believe they would look awesome on my car. But it may not be worth the extra hassle if the susp change over is too costly.

·
Territory TS - AWD
2,374 Posts
It would require a full front crossmember & suspension changeover.

I've done some investigation work and it is possible though involved. You would basically ditch the pressed steel K-member and everything attached to it such as the steering rack, sway bar, upper & lower arms and uprights from the E-series. The frame rails are basically the same shape E-series to AU but the locating dowels and bolt locations are slightly different. So these would need to be relocated to AU spots (grinding, drilling & welding involved I'd imagine). Then bolt in the alloy AU crossmember(s) along with lower suspension arms, steering rack, sway bars and uprights from an AU. The upper arms (must use AU to suit the AU upright - balljoints located differently) would then bolt onto the body as the E-series did.

If I was doing it I'd add an AU engine at the same time. Then it's basically how the cars are put togther at the factory. The best way would be to have the body raised and drop the motor, suspension etc with the K-member out from underneath and lift the AU equivalent into place.

Then you have to address the different track at the rear end or continue to run AU wheels front and earlier wheels out back - a bad idea IMO.

·
boosted sleeper
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, thanks for that raptor. Sounds like its a headache just thinking about. Probably cheaper to buy AU copies and be done with it.

Cheers all

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
blueoval
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing