Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have seen 2 different eb's (both xr8's) with au double wishbone irs retro-fitted. excellent idea but how big a job? what work to be done? anyone have experience with this? I don't intend to do it but it intrigues me.

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
Apparently it isn't a massive job, but does involve a bit of welding.

Personally I wouldn't even think about it... all that effort and the only noticable difference is 70 kg of extra weight, extra tyre wear and reduced traction on the dragstrip!

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
If you've ever been to the ford discovery centre and seen the IRS unit they have set up there it will make you realise just how easy it would be to pop one of these under an E-Series. There would be an extra mount point that would have to be welded onto each chassis rail, which obviously would need to be checked by an engineer.

I guess you'd only really do it for the sake of doing it. You would also ONLY beable to run AU or BA wheels on the back and your normal Eseries on the front unless you put and AU Kframe and suspension under the front which is also possible with some minor changes.

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
Improved traction, ride and handling on bumpy roads. A good thing for a luxury car.

But if you've witnessed the LS1 VT Commodores etc at Heathcote, you'll see that traction on smooth surfaces is by no means a strong point. Plus the other downsides already mentioned.

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
large_trout said:
Improved traction, ride and handling on bumpy roads. A good thing for a luxury car.

But if you've witnessed the LS1 VT Commodores etc at Heathcote, you'll see that traction on smooth surfaces is by no means a strong point. Plus the other downsides already mentioned.
Dont confuse the Holden IRS setup with the AU IRS setup, they are completely different.

The AU setup is so far superior they arent in the same league. Far better traction, bump control, ride, handling and noise are just some of the benifits. Yes, there is a weight disadvantage but I'll take my IRS over live axle on the road any day.

As for road holding, there is very few E series cars that would be capable of keeping up on the twisty stuff. I know for a fact that I have run down a WRX on the loop up from the Tulla Freeway to the Ring road, this guy could not get away. The AU IRS is stunning for grip and control. I've owned 5 Fords and NONE of them even come close, even with major suspension work.

Drive one with IRS, you'll soon be a convert.

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
Casper said:
Dont confuse the Holden IRS setup with the AU IRS setup, they are completely different.

The AU setup is so far superior they arent in the same league. Far better traction, bump control, ride, handling and noise are just some of the benifits. Yes, there is a weight disadvantage but I'll take my IRS over live axle on the road any day.

As for road holding, there is very few E series cars that would be capable of keeping up on the twisty stuff. I know for a fact that I have run down a WRX on the loop up from the Tulla Freeway to the Ring road, this guy could not get away. The AU IRS is stunning for grip and control. I've owned 5 Fords and NONE of them even come close, even with major suspension work.

Ever watch a RWD R32 or later skyline try to take off? The rears cave inwards (huge negative camber) and basically they are trying to put full power through about 1/4 the width of the tire. Holdens do the same but they do the same thing even when they are driving normally. The AU setup keeps the tires at the correct camber where ever the tire is. This is the main difference between the 2 setups.

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
That is true however its not quite as simple as that. Basically the Falcon setup is far more advanced and refined. Not only does it keep the correct camber but, by doing this stops all the rear wheel steering.
As for traction, I can say that it is stunning regardless of road surface.

AU IRS setup

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
Casper said:
All pretty much true, particularly the bit about the GM IRS being poor in comparison to the ford IRS.

Don't forget however that ANY kind or IRS is only really an advantage on poor roads. On smooth roads a live axle is just as good.

Rick.

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
Casper said:
smooth road? Yet to find one of them in Australia :p
Yup, there is quite a few of them around here!!! Too many ricers though.

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
Casper said:
Politicians dont like the extra fat on them to wobble too much when being driven around? :p
It helps to get the pollies out of here sooner!

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
I guess the difference here is that I'm talking about the quarter mile where weight and minimal rear wheel camber are so important. But I don't dispute the double-wishbone IRS is a great thing elsewhere. My daily driver has IRS so I'm not complaining. :s5

1 - 20 of 23 Posts