Ford Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ute Rider
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'daY ALL,

Can an AU motor simply slot into an XG falcon ute using the existing auto.
I realise that I will need a new computer and wiring harness, but is that all or am I better off just getting my motor rebuilt with good parts and having it reinstalled.

If I wanted to rebuild my motor, what parts should I get to be both reliable, and strong. (e.g. pistons, rings, crank, cam, etc).

Any help is appreciated.

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
I have an AU bottom end in my XH ute. The sump doesn't bolt to the crossmember as 'ZH_302' has claimed, however it does certainly bolt to the bellhousing.
I didn't bother doing this as I would have needed a different bellhousing.

You may have clearance problems with the sump at the sway bar though, it's something you'll need to measure up.

I had to chop a bit away to make the sump clear in the XH.

It was worth it in the end, as the AU engine is smoother.

Rick.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
It'll drop straight in.

You need to shave 1mm off the front rib on the AU sump, and you will lose the bottom braces on the bellhousing as they are incorporated into the AU sump, which will not bolt up to those holes. REalistically though, it doesn't matter. I had the AU motor on my car for 8 months before I blew it up :AAHHH: and the bottom of the bellhousing was not bolted to the sump. Made no difference and I was thrashing the crap out of it, so I'd say you'll be safe :)

You won't necessarily need a new computer/wiring harness either.
If you want the BBM, you can use the EL computer with your existing looms, provided you have Smartlock. I have a pinout sheet which shows you where to add wires for the BBM and fans if you like. Or you can stick with the single runner setup that you have already: that will bolt straight up to the AU motor.

Alex

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
mongrelEB -
You do realise he is talking about and XG, which has the same front end as XD's etc.

EvilChief -
No good using a different sump as the AU sump is an integral part of the block, bolting to the main bearing caps.

Rick.

·
Territory TS - AWD
2,374 Posts
Soxx said:
mongrelEB -
You do realise he is talking about and XG, which has the same front end as XD's etc.

EvilChief -
No good using a different sump as the AU sump is an integral part of the block, bolting to the main bearing caps.

Rick.
Rick, your advice regarding the XH also doesn't apply to the XG as it has the XD-XF style (welded in) crossmember with the motor dropped in from above. Unlike your XH which has the bolt-on E-series K-member that the engine mounts to with E-series sway bar setup (I presume).

It's true that an E-series motor can be made to fit as that what an XG is but I'm not sure about an AU. As stated above the cast-sump will need to stay with the block as it has integral cross-bolted mains bolts.

Rob (one-time XG owner who spent plenty of time comparing front-ends with adjacent ED in garage)

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
RAPTOR said:
Rick, your advice regarding the XH also doesn't apply to the XG as it has the XD-XF style (welded in) crossmember with the motor dropped in from above. Unlike your XH which has the bolt-on E-series K-member that the engine mounts to with E-series sway bar setup (I presume).
I realise that, that's why I said he will need to measure up a few things as it may hit his sway bar.
My brother has an XG, and we have looked into the same transplant as my XH.

Rick.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
mongrelEB -
You do realise he is talking about and XG,
Yah I know. Haven't done the XG conv. myself, but it does run a 3.9, which is the same dimensions as the AU motor. Possible there might be a little more of a clearance issue with the sump, but I can't see it being all that much - the rib allows a good 3-4 mm to be taken off the front safely, which puts it back in line with the 3.9 sump.

Alex

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
mongrelEB said:
Yah I know. Haven't done the XG conv. myself, but it does run a 3.9, which is the same dimensions as the AU motor. Possible there might be a little more of a clearance issue with the sump, but I can't see it being all that much - the rib allows a good 3-4 mm to be taken off the front safely, which puts it back in line with the 3.9 sump.
I had to take around 40mm off my front crossmember (not the main one, the front one), re-box it and and gusset it to clear the AU sump.
3-4mm would have done nothing, so I don't see how taking 3-4mm off the AU sump would make it the same size as the pressed steel sump.

My brothers XG has only 20-30mm or so between the sump and sway bar, so I'd imagine the AU sump would almost touch it.

Rick.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I recently have planted an ED motor into an XE ute and it’s my understanding the AU manifold will hit the underside of the bonnet. That’s why the XH ute comes with a EB manifold and not an EL.

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
brooza83 said:
I recently have planted an ED motor into an XE ute and it’s my understanding the AU manifold will hit the underside of the bonnet. That’s why the XH ute comes with a EB manifold and not an EL.
My XH has a BBM, and so do XH XR6's.

Rick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an AU bottom end in my XH ute. The sump doesn't bolt to the crossmember as 'ZH_302' has claimed, however it does certainly bolt to the bellhousing.
I didn't bother doing this as I would have needed a different bellhousing.

You may have clearance problems with the sump at the sway bar though, it's something you'll need to measure up.

I had to chop a bit away to make the sump clear in the XH.

It was worth it in the end, as the AU engine is smoother.

Rick.
So with this would I be able to use the xg sump on the au motor and could I use all the xg accessories I.e. alternator, intake manifold, exhaust, ac, pwr steering ext.?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts