Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ford Europe Wannabe
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After going for a quick spin in my old man's AU Fairmont (i haven't driven it for a while) i could not help but notice something horrible about it- It has the worst god damn seating position.

I swear to god if i stopped at the lights and a bus pulled up next to me, i would be at the same height as the bus driver! I felt so high (especially compared to my R31 Skyline Silhouette- which i prefer to drive than the AU)

The problem with a high seating position is that it creates a lower center of gravity, which leads to greater body roll, which sacrifices handling.

Although it is a minor issue, to me it needs to be addressed for the AV. Anyone else agree?

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
TurboDOHC said:
The problem with a high seating position is that it creates a lower center of gravity, which leads to greater body roll, which sacrifices handling........
Are you Irish????????

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
Are you Irish????????
I'm thinking the same thing here... :eek: I think the seating position of the AU is great. It much prefer it to the commode, my old girls prelude and such...

·
Australian AUII XR8 Member
153 Posts
And I had just been commenting to people how comfortable the AU was, well laid out controls postion etc.

·
7,777 Posts
Ford Man said:

I'm thinking the same thing here... :eek: I think the seating position of the AU is great. It much prefer it to the commode, my old girls prelude and such...
SOrt of - I was referring to higher seating position = HIGHER CofG.

·
Ford Member
1,156 Posts
Fords have always (afaicr) had a highish seating position. This is a good thing for family cars, easy access, great for shorter people, increased rear leg rooms.

For sports cars its not so good.

My skyline R31 Sil is much lower than most cars, you feel like your driving in the car, where as Commodore and Falcons feel like your driving ontop of the car.

The Fairmont is hardly a car for sports car. Infact Im sure people who buy berlina/Calias/Fairmonts perfer a higher seating position.

Add to that the R31 was designed for asian body sizes and tastes. The Silhouette is the sports version, with possibly the best front cloth seats on any car during the 80's, with nice bolsted sides and bottom area.

Its a matter of personal tastes, personally I would like to see more room for adjustments in seating, particularly downwards for tall people, and backwards for tall people.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Re: Re: AU seating position

Aussie Pete said:

Are you Irish????????
I don't get it!:confused:
Hey, at least I can admit it!:p

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
People often say you sit on the Falcon seat and not in them. There is no doubt that the Falcon does have a slightly higher perception of driving positon but I think the XR and especially the t series have the best seats I have seen in a Ford

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
Re: Re: Re: AU seating position

priteshpatel99 said:

I don't get it!:confused:
Hey, at least I can admit it!:p
What they are reffering to is the way that the weight is distributed in a car... the higher above the axels it is the higher the center of gravity which makes the body roll more as it raises the pivot point of the weight... now i hope i said that right...... :eek:

·
Ford Europe Wannabe
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gee i make one little mistake.........and i am punished! :( Just like in V8 supercar racing i guess........

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Aussie Pete said:

SOrt of - I was referring to higher seating position = HIGHER CofG.
Aahhh.. very goodly pete.. :D Fair enough ;)

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
TurboDOHC said:
gee i make one little mistake.........and i am punished! :( Just like in V8 supercar racing i guess........
You didn't make a mistake.. that's your opinion and you're entitled to it :D If that's what you reckon then that's your opinion on things. Too easy :D
Other blokes just think a bit differently is all...

·
7,777 Posts
Ford Man said:

You didn't make a mistake.. that's your opinion and you're entitled to it...............
Yeah - like saying 2+2 equals 5. Not a mistake - just my oppinion :nuts: ;) :rolleyes:

Sorry - facts are facts and physics is physics. We aren't trying to rewrite text books here are we?

TurboDOHC - mate, simple mistakes are simple mistakes. We knew what you meant - just lotsa fun poking fun at you japcr*p drivers.... (he, he)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts