Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any one has fitted aftermarket 5"x7"'s to their car?? Are they worth buying, I have been told that there are only 2 brands that make them, JL Audio?? (I think that is the name), or Pioneer. Are they worth buying? Or is it better to muck around and put bigger speakers in?
Thanx in advance

·
BSR Field Agent
578 Posts
Mateeeeeeeee my favorite subject, upgrading the Factory Speakers in the AU..

You have a fairly big range now to choose from.

Alpine
Pioneer
Rockford Fosgate
Kenwood
JL Audio

These companies all make 5 x 7's...

My favorite's and the one's I have in my XR they are the Boston Acoustic's.. Splits in the Front (Using Premium Sound A Pillar Trims for Tweeters) and Two way coaxials in the rear.. They S hit all over the factory job's. I run mine off a Pioneer CD H/Unit which produces 22 watts RMS per channel and they are crystal clear even towards maximum volume..

If you need any info regarding upgrading just send me a PM and I will help you out....

Nipper.....

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
I went through the Pioneer brochure I got from the Ricer Salon, and it doesn't have any 5"x7" mentioned?

Boston Acoustics make great home stereo speakers, so I'm not surprised their car stuff is good as well.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
Sony does them as well...
5x7s should bolt straight on, but why not get something that will really rock? i'm talking 7x10s! :D

trust me, they are great! virtually, you don't need subs!

·
BSR Field Agent
578 Posts
Venom XR said:
I went through the Pioneer brochure I got from the Ricer Salon, and it doesn't have any 5"x7" mentioned?

Boston Acoustics make great home stereo speakers, so I'm not surprised their car stuff is good as well.
Venom XR, yeah your right mate, the Pioneer Brochure does not have them listed in the current issue. I'm fairly sure they are on the Pioneer Web site both Aus & US. The Pioneers are similar to the factory jobs, not much of an upgrade goinf that way..

The Boston's are really nice and you have a choice as far as your budget can stretch with their line up. From a couple of hundred dollars through to $ 1,000 on the top line splits.

AU_Guy, If you are running the Pioneer DEH - P8250 the same as mine you will find you will not need to amp your speakers up if you buy right. Don't go for something that needs heaps of power to drive them but make sure whatever you do get can be driven at around 15 wrms. You will have sweet sweet sound if you follow some simple rules..

PS.. If you are running that deck, what are you waiting for man??,, put the Sub in and control it from the front seat then you will get the full picture... (6 x 9's are no substitute for a sub)

Nipper........

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm using the Boston Acoustic's 5x7 also. They really improve the sound range over the factory speakers.

On a releated matter, has anyone connected the factory steering wheel stereo controls to a 3rd party head unit?

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
adviliax said:
as far as i know, it can't be done unfortunatelly. that's the only thing i miss about the factory stereo. it was a great showoff! hehe
One reason why I'd like to keep the premium head unit, while gradually upgrading the speakers/amp/sub.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Venom XR said:

One reason why I'd like to keep the premium head unit, while gradually upgrading the speakers/amp/sub.
What extra does the Premium offer over the standard Tuner/Tape/CD Changer control head?

·
au2 forte
139 Posts
You can get adaptors that allow you to use your factory controls on SOME aftermarket h/u's. AFAIK there's a mob called Eurotech in SA (www.cartoys.com.au) that have them for some Alpine and JVC units. Dunno about other brands though :(. I emailed 'em ages ago and the adaptors were $49. You can either order their catalogue ($10 postage) or just email them like I did.

As far as 5x7's, I'll also add that Kicker and Coustic make them. Also JL have 2 sets of 5x7, the TR570-CX (coax), which are ok for the $$. And the XR570-CX (splits), which are supposed to be awesome, but I couldn't find a shop which had them :(

Anyways, yes you will should notice a big difference when you go for after market gear. Just take a look at the magnets/cones on the factory speakers and compare them to some of the after market stuff. Chalk and cheese imho. btw I don't mean to offend ppl with the factory spkrs, they are very good (esp. for the price!!!), but when you crank it up you hear the difference imho.

Anyways, enough of my rambling :p

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
NZ XR8 said:
What extra does the Premium offer over the standard Tuner/Tape/CD Changer control head?
The premium head is the Tuner/Tape/6CD in-dash stacker head unit. Prestige is Tuner + 6CD and standard is single CD + tuner.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Venom XR said:

The premium head is the Tuner/Tape/6CD in-dash stacker head unit. Prestige is Tuner + 6CD and standard is single CD + tuner.
Oops, sorry, I was talking AU 1 and you're talking AU 2. Never mind.

·
BSR Field Agent
578 Posts
au2_xpack said:
Also JL have 2 sets of 5x7, the TR570-CX (coax), which are ok for the $$. And the XR570-CX (splits), which are supposed to be awesome, but I couldn't find a shop which had them :(

Anyways, enough of my rambling :p
The XR570-CX Splits are beautiful sounding speakers, however don't be looking for any change out of $1,000.00 when you price them. (I did and was gob smacked). They are also hungry for power they need a minimum of 30 wrms..

Nipper.......

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Any suggestions for us who drive wagons? Indtending to get an AU1 Forte wagon nextyear and both myself and the misses like good car audio systems.

·
au2 forte
139 Posts
Nipper said:

The XR570-CX Splits are beautiful sounding speakers, however don't be looking for any change out of $1,000.00 when you price them. (I did and was gob smacked). They are also hungry for power they need a minimum of 30 wrms..
Nipper.......
I think at one stage I was quoted ~$1200 (?) for the 3 ways set (with the separate midbass spkrs and tweeters). I thought that was damn expensive, but assumed that the splits on their own would be a lot less....1k for just the splits %^[email protected]!! You could get some top shelf focals for that...oh well... :p

btw I just noticed a mistake I made: the jl 5x7 splits are actually the XR570-CS (the XR570-CX I mentioned are coax...so jl actually make 3 sets of 5x7).

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Interesting to see all the replies!

I have been invovled in the audio market for some 16 years now!

Buying that is., and have spent well over $40grand in that time.

I have decided that Alpine make the best head units., Focal the best speakers, earthquake for wires and connectors, and Alpine for amps!

Still undecided on Subs., but I am into quality rather than bass!

h

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nipper:
Thanx for the advice!! I will be putting an 8" free air Sony sub in the factory position very soon. And how do you get the door trim off? I tried, but broke the grille, seems to be fixed from behind!

adviliax:
7x10's are too big, wanna keep the factory look, can they go in under the standard grilles?

·
BSR Field Agent
578 Posts
Minge, I have no problem with your choice of Speakers Wires and connectors. Alpine is very good stuff and so it should be as Car Audio is all they make... I do believe Alpine are a bit full of themselves when it comes to how good "they" say their Equipment is.. I have had many, many different systems over the years and have found Alpine to be one of the most expensive brands. They have good build quality and continue to use glass lasers in their CD H/Units however I do believe they are falling behind in the features offered in their H/Units compared to some of the other brands.. I purchased my Pioneer H/Unit as it offered far more control over the entire stereo system than Alpine had available.

Alpine is good stuff however you pay for it and at times do not always get value for your dollar when you compare it to a similar competitor's Unit..

Nipper.....

·
BSR Field Agent
578 Posts
AU_guy said:
Nipper:
Thanx for the advice!! I will be putting an 8" free air Sony sub in the factory position very soon. And how do you get the door trim off? I tried, but broke the grille, seems to be fixed from behind!

You need to take the whole door trim off to get at the speakers.

One "BIG" thing to remember, is that when you replace the factory speakers the speaker basket and magnet are going to be bigger and deeper than the factory units. You may need to use spacers (Washers) to bring the speaker out away from your window glass. Wind down you windows to make sure you have plently of clearance.

Nipper............

1 - 20 of 40 Posts