Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member
1,151 Posts
there is about a 10 -15 cfm improvement because of the pipe inside the lid drawing air from the centre of the box.. as opposed to the au and eb... you dont need to swap the lid though.. just get some pipe about 65mm in diameter and 150mm in length (dont quote me) and shove it in the hole.

·
Turbo Pilot
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers eb_5litre, but I wonder why Ford would change the design of an already good flowing airbox, and make it worse? Or at least not as good

·
1,151 Posts
i wouldnt have a clue either... my girls uncle did it to his au2fairmont and he says it worked a treat.

·
Australian Falcon Member
865 Posts
I don't know about AU's but I was shocked to discover that on the EL airbox, not only have they not included the EF style internal extension, but the outlet is significantly smaller than the EF one!! (the plastic airbox top is exactly the same - the smaller outlet is part of the rubber adaptor that's attached to it - the internal extension also forms part of that adaptor).

Ford have done a few odd things with regard to restricting engine breathing on their machines (6 cylinder anyway) - the original ED airbox to throttle body duct also had quite a restriction moulded into it - sort of like a ventury.

A Ford dealership mechanic once told me that the intake restrictions were to make the cars meet an ADR "Acceleration/Brake" test whereby the car is floored off the line for a certain number of seconds then brought to a stop - the stopping distance must be within a certain range. The factors involved are acceleration rate and brake effectiveness, so when confronted with having to meet the requirement of this test the cheapest option is to restrict the engine's intake system. Has anyone else heard of this??

If it's all actually in order to quieten intake noise, all I can say is what a bugger of a way to do it!

Ahhh, maybe it's all to do with keeping performance figures in the correct relationship between 6's and 8's?

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Yeah had a chance to look at the difference between the EF and EL intake setups, handy to have an EF and EL living in one house hold :D :D .

The difference in the size of the tube just after the airbox, is 21.5cm diameter for the EL and 28cm for the EF. Quite a significant difference.

This would explain why the EL is perceptably quieter apart from the dizzy cap setup which eliminates the ever ever so slight of beat fire of the EF.

Well i guess from this trait this explains why the later models may feel abit doey when accelerating. Whith slight mods the AU is a much more powerful car than the EF.
A guy i meet at the dyno day had a moded induction system pace maker headers and exhaust thats it, he was getting 122kw at the wheels.
The engine it self i reckon the AU is better and more pwoerful but with these air restrictions there potential seems hidden.

·
1,151 Posts
I just did the modification to my EB and i must say i noticed a definate difference in response.
Got some 80mm tubing from Bunnings and flanged the end.
The chick at the check-out stuffed up and gave me a metre for $2.20... pretty cheap mod if you ask me.

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
EF_Falcon_GuY said:
Well i guess from this trait this explains why the later models may feel abit doey when accelerating. Whith slight mods the AU is a much more powerful car than the EF.
A guy i meet at the dyno day had a moded induction system pace maker headers and exhaust thats it, he was getting 122kw at the wheels.
The engine it self i reckon the AU is better and more pwoerful but with these air restrictions there potential seems hidden.
Was this a standard 6 or an XR6?

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
eb5litre,

Thats definitly the cheapest mod i've heard, good thing you noticed a difference as well. Does the car have better pickup???
Well all you need to do now is get your self a filter, either Uni Filter or the onw i use O2Rush by Finer Filter you defenitly feel the difference.

(\/)ADXF,
Yeah it was a Falcon S, not an Xr6. Thats why it's impressive, even the XR6 boys weren't getting the figures of this car.
But if you do up the XR6 you'll get even more power.

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Whats the standard Rear Wheel figures from the falcons these days? (Standard and XR6)

Paul.

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
I've read in previous threads that the T-series airbox is supposed to be a better breather for the AUI/II. Does this airbox have a similar lid to the EF lid, or is there some other difference that makes this box better for air flow?

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
I know the air intake snorkel on the T series is different from your run of the mill Falcons, I went and bought one from Ford for $24 bucks or so after hearing about it from XLR8 & HSE2..ta guys.
But the actual air box is the same as the other AU's I think.
Now I'll look at getting an EF airbox top for my Ghia just top help things a bit.(Not much but it'll make me feel better) ;) I'm guessing the AU V8 airbox top is the same as the six's. I know it hasn't got the internal extension..I looked.
Russell. :cool:

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
The FTE page for the Tseries does show a slightly different upper lid to the AU Box. However, the extra pipe doesn't seem as extensive as the EF lid, so the EF lid may prove more effective.

Nice to know the Tseries snorkel is only $24, I'll have to pick one up when I get the lid!

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Rastus,

You Serious, $24 bucks, i'm off to city ford tomorrow to get a T Series air snorkel. Do you notice a difference, i've got an EF with an O2 Rush filter so since i've heard that EF's have the best lid
but will it fit on the box, the diameter of the snorkel????

i'll let you guys know how it's goes, at worst it's no different and $24 won't send me broke. At least i can say i'll be the only wagon with a T Series option. :D :D :D :D

·
1,151 Posts
" At least i can say i'll be the only wagon with a T Series option. "

not for long.... hehehe

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
LOL, damn. :p :p :p I guess i'll be a trend setter :D :D

Just hope it fits on the airbox ok thats all. IF not it's $305 for a snorkel.
:eek: :eek:

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
Yeh, $24.35 to be exact for that T series snorkel. Not bad. I was expecting $50-60 bucks or so.
Part No. is TAUTVE9A624A......maybe the Ford parts guy made a mistake with the price?
Looks as if it'll fit any Ford air box from EF-onwards.
Dont know if there's a difference in performance or not EF_Falcon_GuY, proberly nothing I can really feel. Even if it didn't do anything, at least it's got the Tickford wings on top of it. :p
Comparing it to the original AU one,the air volume of the opening would have to be about twice as much I reckon. i'll just get the EF lid now and a good quality filter and I'll be happy.(for 5 minutes) ;)
Russell.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Rastus,

Your dead right on the part no, i got it for $24.66. Just doesn't fit.

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
EF_Falcon_GuY said:
Rastus,

Your dead right on the part no, i got it for $24.66. Just doesn't fit.
That's a bummer EF_, I thought it would've fit most of the Falcon range. EF's included. What's not fitting exactly, where it fits onto the airbox, general shape, no room or not fitting where it goes over the radiator crossmember?
B4 I went to Ford to get the T intake, I was looking at the SSinductions site as well and thinking "I'd hate to pay $305 bucks for THAT" :eek:
Russell.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts