Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
BLOWNXD
Joined
·
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Im just in the process of fitting a AU series 2 XR6 motor into my old 96 EF fairmont. I picked up the XR motor for $500 that had only done 26,000kms, what i wanted to know if the factory EF ecu would have any dramas running the new motor ie... setting the AFR, timing etc.. and would resetting the ef ecu solve (if any) the problem. Or should i just transfer the rocker gear, and camshaft over from the old 4.0lt ???? any help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
:hy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,561 Posts
the motor isnt a straight swap, you need to modify the engine bay, either the k frame or sump
 

·
BLOWNXD
Joined
·
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in checking the sump on both there didnt seem to be a difference and the engine mounts looked identical, it is the same block or atleast youd presume that it is i check that tomorrow but i didnt think thered be any issues with getting it in i was mainly concerned wether it would run properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,561 Posts
the sumps are definitly diferent from an EF to a AU
A AU sump is cast alloy and a EF isnt.
 

·
BLOWNXD
Joined
·
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It fitted straight in no problems at all the sumps look exactly the same which is weird cause that link says other wise, unless there talking bout a V8 conversion?? I know the engine definately came out of an AU so im not sure what the go is there ill be bolting the head back on tomorrow with all the other accessories so we'll find out soon if theres any issues with the ECU then i guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
the car will probally run fine but the cam tioming will stay in retard as it will be a VCT motor and the computer wont know what the **** it is!!!
 

·
Got my 3.45 LSD!
Joined
·
214 Posts
notty said:
the car will probally run fine but the cam tioming will stay in retard as it will be a VCT motor and the computer wont know what the **** it is!!!
There is a high output engine fitted standard to AU XR6 models. A tickford modified engine with variable camshaft timing (VCT) is optional on XR6 models and standard on Fairmont Ghia models. So does the motor have a solenoid and housing sticking off the front of the rocker cover with a tickford badge on it, XD408?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
XD408 said:
It fitted straight in no problems at all the sumps look exactly the same which is weird cause that link says other wise, unless there talking bout a V8 conversion?? I know the engine definately came out of an AU so im not sure what the go is there ill be bolting the head back on tomorrow with all the other accessories so we'll find out soon if theres any issues with the ECU then i guess.
Sounds to me like you got an AU with an e-series engine. No way an AU alloy sump is going to fit into an EF/EL k-frame, and all AU's got the alloy sump.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,561 Posts
stockstandard said:
Sounds to me like you got an AU with an e-series engine. No way an AU alloy sump is going to fit into an EF/EL k-frame, and all AU's got the alloy sump.
exactly!!!!!!!!
 

·
ford is king
Joined
·
169 Posts
well who the hell would put an e series motor in an au,thats going backwards.
 

·
Got my 3.45 LSD!
Joined
·
214 Posts
you cant put an older engine into a newer car, can you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,561 Posts
AU dude said:
you cant put an older engine into a newer car, can you?
if you do that, you wont be able to register it cos of emission laws but if you run straigght gas youll be ok, but youll probably have to get it emission tested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
917 Posts
RAVEN said:
if you do that, you wont be able to register it cos of emission laws but if you run straigght gas youll be ok, but youll probably have to get it emission tested.
not always corrent , gas is a good idea but there is some difference in the manner of metting emmisions so you need to speak to the state authority
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top