Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Just got a totally stock AU2 XR8 220kw. Whilst I love the car, it only sounds like a V8 at high revs and I'd like an all-round better exhaust note. I don't care about extra power (I'm between XR6 Turbos;)) - I just want a better V8 note at idle and through the rev range.

Of course, every exhaust shop gives me a different answer and most recommend a full new system. Given that it already has a twin 2.25 system from the factory with twin centre mufflers and 1 rear resonator, I'd love to know your opinions on how each of the following will effect the exhaust note:

1. Removing the rear resonator and replacing with straight through pipes?
2. Removing the centre mufflers and replacing with high flow mufflers or hot dogs?
3. Removing centre mufflers and replacing with straight through pipes?
4. Single 2.5 inch exhaust with 1 straight through muffler?
5. Twin 2.5 with 2 straight through mufflers?

I'd love opinions from anyone who has done any of the above to a Windsor, particularly 1,2 and 3.

Thanks

Mark

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
1,934 Posts
Put two straight through mufflers under the floor, then remove the rear resanator merge it into one single 3in & replace it with a single 3in resanator.. Will sound good & you'll gain about 8 to 10 KW!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
from the cats back mine has one large diameter hot dog type with another before the rear on each pipe. Still twin pipes, a total of 2 straight through jobs on each pipe spaced apart. The sound is great and gets lots of comments even from the holden crowd at work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
on our xr8 220 i had the rear resonator removed & put straight thru pipes, only made a small difference, replace the centre mufflers with some straight thru type, will make a difference at a minimal cost

·
ford fanatic
3 Posts
hey with my xr8, even though its a ute has a single system 3" from the cats back with a single straight through resinator and a lukey rear muffler. it has an awesome note but now i took the muffler off and have it dumping at the diff and now it really barks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ignore all above quotes except tonks. why goto a single 3inch when your factory twin 2.25 outflow's it, why put in a very very restrictive hotdog on it, to put it simple a straight thru muffler on average at 2.25 will flow around 400cfm, a 2.25 12inch hotdog only flows 186cfm. so while you may not be after power, why make something flow worse than factory.

My advice is to remove rear resonators and put a non muffled pipe in its place, make sure they flare the engine side over the pipe and the rear part over the added in pipe.
And then if your not happy with this, then replace your 2 main mufflers with straight thru non perforated glass packed mufflers, it'll sound nice, real nice with these on, a slight bark, but not to much, and a nice deep rumble to the idle.

If you want more crackle/drum but not super deep, put on hooker aerochambers instead.

·
Registered
243 Posts
On my 99 XR8 I removed the rear resonator and had 2 pipes installed and replaced the mufflers with 2 straight through sports mufflers and I also had the balance pipe taken out.
The sound was awesome my mates thought that it sounded like an old school XY coming down the street.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts