Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
AUPS Member
Joined
·
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at getting an Series 1 AU XR8 now, not a 300zx anymore. Just wondering if there where any problems with this model? I would like a series 2/3 but there just out of my price range. :(
 

·
FPV & XR Club Owners ACT
Joined
·
463 Posts
Im not an expert, but I got the 6..

Couple of things from my experiences, the cones in the LSD swelled and cause a grinding sound, easy fix about $70, not sure of any one else having this prob though.

the brakes, they are the same as the standard Falcon, so a lil bit under braked. new rotors and good pads sorted that out though.

Other then those two Im happy with my car, just would like it to be the 8, but it still got some balls to it. Good luck finding one...
 

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
Joined
·
2,242 Posts
MOTOR did a past blast review a while back on this model... they praised it up heaps... will c if i can find it!
 

·
100MPH Hunter
Joined
·
1,045 Posts
What type of price range???
 

·
RIP Sox.....
Joined
·
2,580 Posts
Drive a AU XR6 too, they almost hold there own against the V8, and with a bit of tickling will easily hose the V8. They are also lighter, handle better, and get better fuel economy.

It's only the AU2 XR8's which had reasonable balls, although the very last of the series 1's were fitted with the 200kw engine.

Rick.
 

·
In a blue Galaxy
Joined
·
5,716 Posts
Soxx, don't tell me my stock AU1 XR8 doesn't have balls. I did a flat 15 at heathcote in 32 degree heat. The quickest series 1 XR6 was kooky's with a 15.7.

There is also so much tickling you can do to the Windsors aswell! There isnt really that much you can do to the sixes without supercharging. Also the only XR6's that will handle better will be the VCT, and they are slower than the HP anyway.
 

·
RIP Sox.....
Joined
·
2,580 Posts
Cobra -
If you like how your XR8 goes, that fine by me, but I still maintain they have only adequate performance for a 5L V8 (prior to AU2).
I did say the six 'almost' holds it's own against the V8, 7 tenths isn't lot.

Sure the Windsors can be tickled, though it is a lot more expensive to do so. The I6 is a more efficent engine and lends itself more easily to cheap mods. It's cheaper for extractors/exhaust, cams are cheaper and easier to change, inlet maniflsd aren't restrictive, neither are the throttle bodies.

The V8 needs decent heads, TB, MAF, and inlet manifold before you can even hope to make it go ok.

And all the I6's will handle better than the V8's, it's simply because they have better front/rear weight bias. The IRS only helps on really bumpy roads.

Rick.
 

·
AUPS Member
Joined
·
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well my dad has a series 3 xr8, great car! no problems but im not aloud to drive it :(

We also have a AU XR6 VCT which ive driven and love, but my eb xr8 is more powerful but handles nowhere near as good. Weve had a few minor problems with the XR6. though, which is making me questiong getting the series 1. Thats why id though id ask what other peoples experiences are with the XR8.

Should i just wait alittle while and get the series 2?
 

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
Joined
·
2,242 Posts
what about a ed xr8 sprint??? pretty much same motor... roughly 200kw, bit lighter too!...might be an alternative :hy:
 

·
AUPS Member
Joined
·
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ive already though about that and i would love one :) but im after something newer plus there heap hard to find.
 

·
In a blue Galaxy
Joined
·
5,716 Posts
Soxx
It was funny how I was still beating all the series 2 XR8's though. With the IRS, theres a huge difference. I had an EL XR6 with Superlows and brand new 17" tyres and it still handles no where near as good as the stock AU XR8 with abit of tread missing. Surely the AU1 XR6 doesn't handle that much better than an EL XR6?

I am interested in what You've done to acheive 161rwkw out of an ATMO IL6. Perhaps you could tell me in PM as to not change the topic of the thread?
 

·
RIP Sox.....
Joined
·
2,580 Posts
Cobra -
Perhaps yours has the 200kw motor, the very last of the series 1's did, my friend has one.
Perhaps your EL had stuffed shocks, as my AU I6 handles better than my friends XR8, both have the same shocks. His pushes the front more because of the extra weight. As I said though, his is better on very bumpy roads.

Don't get me wrong, the V8's are ok, I'm just pointing out to the OP that he should consider the I6 as well as a lot of people think that just because it's an 8 it has to be better.

It's just a JMM DEV5 in my XH ute, it's been posted in detail on these forums, look up DEV5 project.

Rick.
 

·
EXPERIENCED XR8 FANATIC
Joined
·
156 Posts
well i can honestly say i have owned my series 1 au xr8 since new and apart from the above mentioned diff problems which were taken care of under warranty and an electrical problem(bad earth)again a ford fix under warranty i have nothing but praise for my ride. i may be hasty in saying this ,as i have only covered a mere 45,000 kms in the five years to date of ownership, but they have been the best kms i have had in a ford. i just hope not too many gremlins show their heads further down the track to sour my taste.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
I have been driving my BA XR8 now for about a month (5000 km's on it) and I took my AU 11 XR8 (52000 km's on it) out for a spin last night and I can honestly say the AU is such a better car to drive. I really hope that the BA improves with a few more KM's on it cause I'm really starting to wonder why I bought it in the first place and why I'm trying to sell the AU!

The AU just gets up and goes so easy compared to the BA - even the wife (who has spent a fair bit of time in both) can't believe the difference. The BA just feals so sluggish off the line while the AU just rips in.

I would have no hesitation recommending anyone into an AU XR8. Dad has the Series 1 and I have the Series 11 and both are going great.
 

·
Formally Thomas
Joined
·
468 Posts
Falcon Awesome said:
I have been driving my BA XR8 now for about a month (5000 km's on it) and I took my AU 11 XR8 (52000 km's on it) out for a spin last night and I can honestly say the AU is such a better car to drive. I really hope that the BA improves with a few more KM's on it cause I'm really starting to wonder why I bought it in the first place and why I'm trying to sell the AU!

The AU just gets up and goes so easy compared to the BA - even the wife (who has spent a fair bit of time in both) can't believe the difference. The BA just feals so sluggish off the line while the AU just rips in.

I would have no hesitation recommending anyone into an AU XR8. Dad has the Series 1 and I have the Series 11 and both are going great.

Thats a big call to say all that about the BA XR8 compared to the AU XR8. Im sure many people would disagree to this but hey everyone has there own opinion. The BA is known to be quite sluggish off the line. It really doesnt move until it gets past 3000rmp. After that boy do they pull. My father owns one and i have the EL XR8 which is pretty much AU spec after the mods ive done. I must say jumping from the BA XR8 into my EL XR8 is a massive differance. Steering wise the BA is heaps lighter and smoother.
The BA is definately my choice here.
 

·
Formally Thomas
Joined
·
468 Posts
Soxx said:
Cobra -
If you like how your XR8 goes, that fine by me, but I still maintain they have only adequate performance for a 5L V8 (prior to AU2).
I did say the six 'almost' holds it's own against the V8, 7 tenths isn't lot.

Sure the Windsors can be tickled, though it is a lot more expensive to do so. The I6 is a more efficent engine and lends itself more easily to cheap mods. It's cheaper for extractors/exhaust, cams are cheaper and easier to change, inlet maniflsd aren't restrictive, neither are the throttle bodies.

The V8 needs decent heads, TB, MAF, and inlet manifold before you can even hope to make it go ok.

And all the I6's will handle better than the V8's, it's simply because they have better front/rear weight bias. The IRS only helps on really bumpy roads.

Rick.
All the AU V8's did have decent heads T/B and MAF anyways. It was the EB-EL models which struggled. Its always gonna be more expensive to mod a V8 rather that a six. IMO i wouldnt bother modifying a 6 as it wont get you nowhere. Unless you do Supercharge them
 

·
RIP Sox.....
Joined
·
2,580 Posts
Falcon Awesome said:
I have been driving my BA XR8 now for about a month (5000 km's on it) and I took my AU 11 XR8 (52000 km's on it) out for a spin last night and I can honestly say the AU is such a better car to drive. I really hope that the BA improves with a few more KM's on it cause I'm really starting to wonder why I bought it in the first place and why I'm trying to sell the AU!

The AU just gets up and goes so easy compared to the BA - even the wife (who has spent a fair bit of time in both) can't believe the difference. The BA just feals so sluggish off the line while the AU just rips in.

I would have no hesitation recommending anyone into an AU XR8. Dad has the Series 1 and I have the Series 11 and both are going great.
Perhaps you should have your BA checked over as none of the AU 5L series have a snowballs chance in hell against a BA XR8. They aren't even remotely comparable.

Rick.
 

·
RIP Sox.....
Joined
·
2,580 Posts
Thomas said:
All the AU V8's did have decent heads T/B and MAF anyways.
It was the EB-EL models which struggled.
Series 1's didn't, they were virtually a carryover from EL XR8 2.
Its always gonna be more expensive to mod a V8 rather that a six. IMO i wouldnt bother modifying a 6 as it wont get you nowhere. Unless you do Supercharge them
And I gather you know this from your own experience? My own NA I6 produces considerably more power than many V8's, including series 3 AU XR8's.

Rick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Thomas said:
Thats a big call to say all that about the BA XR8 compared to the AU XR8. Im sure many people would disagree to this but hey everyone has there own opinion. The BA is known to be quite sluggish off the line. It really doesnt move until it gets past 3000rmp. After that boy do they pull. My father owns one and i have the EL XR8 which is pretty much AU spec after the mods ive done. I must say jumping from the BA XR8 into my EL XR8 is a massive differance. Steering wise the BA is heaps lighter and smoother.
The BA is definately my choice here.
Yeah I agree it's a big call, particularly based on the money I've just spent to "upgrade". I would say the use of the word sluggish is an understatement - and yes after 3000rmp they do pull hard but it's not the instant feel I have with my AU.

Don't get me wrong the rest of the experience with the BA has been a pleasure - it's just the initial feeling of pick up is just not the same as the AU. I have started using the Sports Shift (Sequantial Gearbox thing!) in the BA just see if I can eliminate the sluggish feeling in the take offs.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top