Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As well as taking too much room for my noggin, the roof in my XR8 howls and hisses above 80-90km/h. To all the Techheads, is there a fix for this so I can save my sanity all the way to Melbourne this week?

Lucky I ordered the Premium Sound, because between this sunroof and the ticking from the engine (you know that clapped out taxi lifter type noise) the sound level is kind of high..... :( :eek:

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I take it we are talking about the sun roof being closed.

Sounds like a alignment problem but you know that already don't you. I would try the manual handle to see if I could get a bit more out of the closing mech just in case it isn't shut fully.
If it is hissing it suggests to me that air is getting in rather than passing over

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
As well as taking too much room for my noggin, the roof in my XR8 howls and hisses above 80-90km/h. To all the Techheads, is there a fix for this so I can save my sanity all the way to Melbourne this week?

Lucky I ordered the Premium Sound, because between this sunroof and the ticking from the engine (you know that clapped out taxi lifter type noise) the sound level is kind of high..... :( :eek:
My engine used to have a loud tick...gave me the S%$#, it was a faulty fuel regulator valve......

Now it is nice and quiet after getting it replaced, still had to argue the point with one of those dickhead Ford Service managers............because "that is normal" Everytime i take my car to Ford, that is the response i get!!

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Re: Re: AU2 Sunroof - Noisy as Hell

XLR8 said:

My engine used to have a loud tick...gave me the S%$#, it was a faulty fuel regulator valve......

Now it is nice and quiet after getting it replaced, still had to argue the point with one of those dickhead Ford Service managers............because "that is normal" Everytime i take my car to Ford, that is the response i get!!
I had/have the same/similar problem. If the ticking is coming form low down on the left hand side of the car. Purge valve on the fuel system. Same deal claimed it is normal. Going to have ANOTHER unit put in next time

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
Re: Re: Re: AU2 Sunroof - Noisy as Hell

HSE2 said:

I had/have the same/similar problem. If the ticking is coming form low down on the left hand side of the car. Purge valve on the fuel system. Same deal claimed it is normal. Going to have ANOTHER unit put in next time

Thats the one......i had the exact same noise. Fixed with new unit

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't see a manual handle for the sunroof but maybe I'm a blind man.....

As for the ticking noise, does this fuel or purge valve tick at the same rate as say a dud lifter (ie, fast enough to match the engine speed)? I had a friend who is a Ford Tech at McGrath Phillip ACT listen to the engine today - he says it's definitely not normal. Then I drove a friend's XR8 ute (200kW) and no noise - just the typical valvetrain noise.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Geez you seem to be having a go with this car.:(

The problem I had and it seems to be a fair percentage of AU V8 owners can sound like the engine. Fast paced and loud, but when you get outside the car you can tell that the sound is slight to the left hand side and down behind the front section of the spoiler.
I would suggest that you and your friend would tell the difference with out a problem.

Now the sunroof. If your car didn't come with a handle for manual sunroof closing in case of failure at a guess you don't have that function. With the sunroofs I have had experience with they had a hidden slot that the handle went into in case of the motor failing. I guess I assumed all sunroofs had this function.:(

Haven't been much help. Sorry

·
Registered
453 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
I don't see a manual handle for the sunroof but maybe I'm a blind man.....

As for the ticking noise, does this fuel or purge valve tick at the same rate as say a dud lifter (ie, fast enough to match the engine speed)? I had a friend who is a Ford Tech at McGrath Phillip ACT listen to the engine today - he says it's definitely not normal. Then I drove a friend's XR8 ute (200kW) and no noise - just the typical valvetrain noise.
Which camshaft have you got fitted to your beast?
Are the roller rockers adjustable and if they are, you need to get the adjustment checked.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Laminge eyed off my car today - it is apparently not the fuel valve thingy. He agrees it is definitely core engine. Bugger!

I suppose a quick lob into Herrods while in Melbourne is the go. Could be a simple pushrod change or something.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry HSE2 - been busy trying to get back to Sydney.

While we were at Tickford they had a go at adjusting the sunroof, but in the end it's worse now and sits above the roofline. I'll try and go to Hollandia in Sydney and get an expert touch applied.

As for the engine, longer pushrods and a new cam again (the original one is back in) and we are no better off. I guess we'd have to put up with it.

Anyhow, the car is going back for another rebuild as it **** itself coming back to Sydney. I only got to Canberra this time, however Rob has been A1 and understands what it's like. This XR8 is like a mistress - you only see it sometimes......

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah - I'm ALWAYS the one in ten thousand. Rob is SSOOOO pissed because we both know this isn't typical of the way he works. It's just a shame because I got rid of my Volvo because it was unreliable and I was sick of paying for a car I couldn't drive.

Anyhow, Rob and Ash put the original 220 cam back in the other day and I picked the car up to head back to Sydney last night. At the outskirts of town the coolant light came on so I topped it up thinking airlock or whatever. From then on, every town saw an XR8 at the servo pouring in copious amounts of water. I got to Yass and decided Ford dealer in Canberra was the go so we detoured and got a couple of hours sleep. This morning I checked the oil after booking in with McGrath Ford. The filler neck was clogged with milky gel and the dipstick showed fluid above the crank (lots of oil....) most of which was milky water/oil.

Rob didn't hesitate when I called him. It's on a Finemores (Toll) truck again....... to Melbourne. I had to wait till this arvo to get a rental car (all booked out) so another day down the drain (bugger).

Went for a look at Gregory's FTE - a TE50 is tempting right now - anyone want an XR8 stroker - fully loaded?

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Look I don't pretend to understand the cause of this.

I am pleased that you are happy with the service you are getting.
I am disappointed that it has happened at all.

I hope this isn't enough to push you back to the general.
I understand your a wagon man and might be disappointed about future developments.

I can't even push you back to Volvo eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once again sorry mate. Wish I could do more than words:(

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is going to take a LOT of convincing to go aftermarket again. All the more important for Ford to make the AV do the business ex factory.

Keep in mind though that Ford/Tickford are not having a perfect run with the 220s either...... Rob is not alone with this water thing.

·
Tickford Ruled; FPV Rocks
1,457 Posts
Excuse my ignorance (I am not an expert on mechanical matters) but would the mechanical problems you're having now afflict your car if it were left standard (i.e. 220kw outta Tickford)?

That's bad luck. I'm sure its not a nice feeling to blow big money on a car and then not derive pleasure out of it due to mechanical probs.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Sorry to hear about your ride Pete :( :(

I hear Toyotas are reliable ;)
I can see it now, Aussie Pete in a Avalon :D

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HP Dude said:
Excuse my ignorance (I am not an expert on mechanical matters) but would the mechanical problems you're having now afflict your car if it were left standard (i.e. 220kw outta Tickford)?

That's bad luck. I'm sure its not a nice feeling to blow big money on a car and then not derive pleasure out of it due to mechanical probs.
There have been a number of 220 engines with problems. Even some 200s. The answer is you never know but it makes you wonder in the end doesn't it? Plus every time something has gone wrong with mine it has to go to Melbourne. Thank goodness Toll ship overnight otherwise it would take forever.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Aussie Pete said:

There have been a number of 220 engines with problems. Even some 200s. The answer is you never know but it makes you wonder in the end doesn't it? Plus every time something has gone wrong with mine it has to go to Melbourne. Thank goodness Toll ship overnight otherwise it would take forever.
Damn! Mate you've had a rough run lately by the sounds of it.. I guess at least she was running well enough during the trip! Will be interesting to see if any of your symptoms crop up in the new T3..

Keep us informed mate...

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
Aussie Pete said:

What sort of probs with the 200Kw??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts