Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
XR82GO
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know the ute hasnt sold and i am giving it till my Tax return comes back and if it still hasnt then I'll be keeping it.

As soon as my tax comes back I'll be fitting some slotted rotors all round and getting a Chiptorque custom chip fitted.

My question is this....

What would you do if you had around $1500 to spend on the engine to get better performance out of it before you had it chipped if it was yours???

Its already got Dual 2 1/4 exhaust and Pacemaker comp extractors, CAI and BMC filter. And made 160.1rwkw @ bob romanos a few months back... and the xr8 is the 200kw spec

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
I would be doing a cam change along with matching valve springs and retainers. The Crane 2030 (for 1.6 rockers) and 2031 (for 1.72's) give great results on GT40p heads.

·
XR82GO
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EDXR8 said:
I would be doing a cam change along with matching valve springs and retainers. The Crane 2030 (for 1.6 rockers) and 2031 (for 1.72's) give great results on GT40p heads.
What sort of a hike in power & torque would that get me and in which parts of the rev range? As you probally know the auto's are a little dead down low.

·
2,784 Posts
They should give good gains everywhere in the rev range. AU's seem to get 180-190rwkw with those cams.

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
Are you dead set on the engine upgrade, for $1500 a nice new set of 3.7's or 3.9's would spruce the auto up.. I know you head up here to do those crusies etc but the 3.7's would be streetable upto 140km/h imo

Bang for buck i would of thought a diff ratio change would be up with the cam?

Or if you do that much highway running that the 3.45's are fine, you can't really beat the cam option

·
2,784 Posts
Cam should be around $400 and springs/reatiners around $300. Not sure on installation costs, maybe message AU2XLSV8 as he just had that done.

·
XR82GO
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Galaxy XR8 said:
Yes like what EDXR8 said go for head and cam work,if you do let us know the outcome as I'm very interested in doing this to mine.
No problems mate I'm always willing to share results....

RaceCraft said:
for $1500 a nice new set of 3.7's or 3.9's would spruce the auto up..
Thats on the cards as well but for the mean time I'm interested in getting a bit more power and torque. It may very well be the next mod...

EDXR8 said:
Cam should be around $400 and springs/reatiners around $300. Not sure on installation costs, maybe message AU2XLSV8 as he just had that done.
Would the 2030crane cam (The 200kw spec donk has 1.6 rockers doesnt it) work propally with the factory stall or would i need to upgrade that???
No worries I'll pm AU2XLSV8 and ask for him to add his thoughts to this thread.

·
2,784 Posts
Yeah the 200kw engine has 1.6 rockers so the 2030 will be the one, and yes the stock stall convertor will be fine.

·
347 cubic power!
171 Posts
Andrew,

Check out this thread:
http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=42967

I have (had) the same engine as you and I was very happy with this combo. Note that the engine did seem a little more sluggish than stock when running under 2500RPM. Not too bad mind you, and it might have just seemed that way because it came on with a real rush after that. I had a manual trans, so a slightly rough idle did not bother me.

Matt.

·
Registered Snooser
579 Posts
Remember there are other grinds out there, probably better suited to auto's.
The 2031 is a good auto cam but will require 1.7:1 rockers.
So check whats available for 1.6:1 rockers with characteristics more like the 2031, like crow cams,etc
Also do a search and see what the boys on the corral forums are using.
http://www.corral.net/main.html
Cam and valve springs,etc....for sure.

·
XR82GO
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Apparently so far I have gathered for the au 2 xr8 200kw spec the Crane 2030 is the cam to go for. With springs retainers to match, is there anything else thatshould be replaced at the same time ???

And does anyone have this cam in a Au xr8 auto and has a sound file of it they can either send to me or put up here. :wnc:

·
2,784 Posts
Might want to change the timing chain/gears with a decent rollmaster one while everything is out, otherwise everything else should be fine I think.

·
Registered Snooser
579 Posts
sylox said:
Ok so the list is at

1) Crane 2030 Cam (is this the best cam for the job)
2) springs to suit
3) retainers to suit
4) Rollmaster timing gears/chain
I would add valve spring retainers/keepers. Remember gaskets, and labour too.
I would also look into other cams, just to make sure it's what you want.
Best to make an informed decision, as they aren't the easiest things to change.

·
XR82GO
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dodgie said:
I would add valve spring retainers/keepers. Remember gaskets, and labour too.
I would also look into other cams, just to make sure it's what you want.
Best to make an informed decision, as they aren't the easiest things to change.
I'm not all that cluey about the internals so i am basicly going off what you guys are saying. so as far as looking at other cam specs it would be just that I would be looking at them but not knowing what the figures mean etc.

·
2,784 Posts
The 2030 cam will give a rougher idle compared with the stock cam but it should still be fine with the auto. I really don't think there will be much difference between the 2030 and the 2031, but if anything the 2031 will be slightly better at idle. These cams have been well tried in the US and have always produced good results. Others you could consider are the Crow 621371 or 621417 which have also been well tested in Australian V8's.

·
Copyright �2003
1,517 Posts
RaceCraft said:
....a nice new set of 3.7's or 3.9's would spruce the auto up..
As I mentioned to you previously champ, I still say that changing the diff gears in my car was one of the best mods I had done. Made the car feel more toey all round.

A different cam would be great, but I still think you may be unhappy with the go off the mark.

Ultimately go with what you feel is best for you and then you'll be happiest. :thup:

1 - 20 of 142 Posts