Ford Forums banner

21 - 40 of 142 Posts

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
Grunter said:
As I mentioned to you previously champ, I still say that changing the diff gears in my car was one of the best mods I had done. Made the car feel more toey all round.
Yeah diff ratio change would be another good way to go. Auto's with 3.9 gears are awesome off the line.

·
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL
538 Posts
Just a little thing but add new valve stem seals to the list. While it is all pulled apart fit a phenolic spacer and get your lower intake ported. If you can whip the heads off while the car is off the road get them done too.

My list would be;

1) Crane 2030 cam (or 2031 plus 1.7 roller rockers)
2) h/duty springs
3) retainers
4) locks/collets
5) seals
6) Rollmaster timing chain
7) phenolic spacer
8) porter lower intake (matched to Felpro 1250)
9) ported heads (also matched)
10) upper manifold, lower manifold, timing cover and rocker cover gaskets (and head gaskets if these get done)

Ensure all the lifters get a proper clean while they are out.

I paid $600 to get all mine fitted (engine in), AUXLSV8 paid about $1000 to get his done (engine out plus some other work done).

I wouldn't worry about the idle... the chip will take care of that to a large degree.

·
need BOOST
272 Posts
Am I right in saying that the AUII 200kw motor had the largest 'factory' camshaft fitted to aussie windsors...and using the same shitty valvesprings/retainers/keepers as the smaller cammed base level AU V8?

With that in mind, and considering the $1500 budget, I would change valve springs/retainers/keepers, and then some 3.9's in the diff (and tighten LSD).

3.9's wont make more torque at the engine, but they will definitely increase the torque at the rear wheels which is where it counts :)

DT

·
XR82GO
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
What about doing them boths at the same time Crane 2030 cam + gear to suit get it done at a workshop near chiptorque that can do the diff gear swap as well and then drive it around to be chipped.
This will take a few more weeks to save for but I suppose it will give a better overall gain.

Whats a Guess on Pricing for supply and fit the following.
1) Crane 2030 cam (or 2031 plus 1.7 roller rockers)
2) h/duty springs
3) retainers
4) locks/collets
5) seals
6) Rollmaster timing chain
7) supply and fit 3.7 diff gears.

Whats a guess on price guys about $2500.
Most of you are saying this cam setup should get around 190rwkw add the 3.7 diff gears into the story what sort of 1/4 mile times are we talking????
taking into account that the best i have done so far is 15.1 with a full tank and melted air temp sensor...

·
347 cubic power!
171 Posts
From memory, your list (less gearing changes) cost me about $2500. However, that work was done by John White and not Bob. As per that other thread, I also needed a UniChip on top of that to make it all play together nicely. There goes the budget...

If you only want to spend sub-1.5 kilodollars, then I agree with Grant et al above, when they suggest changing the gearing. A much cheaper and simpler option that I will also take up sooner or later.

·
Forced Falcon
307 Posts
Mate if it were me i would look around for a cheap second hand supercharger which would give over 200rwkw and would beat many that had spent alot more, you can remove it when you sell it or leave it on and get great dollars for the car when you sell it. The other thing is you could leave the diff gears alone and still have a quite highway cruiser.You might find it easier to sell it later with a blower as alot of young fellas are chasing quick cars something AU V8's are not known for, and another thing nothing sounds as good as a blown ford V8. you should be able to find a blower kit for $3500

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
galaxy xr8 said:
What does it cost for a diff change alone, say 3.9 in an auto and will this affect crusing on the hwy and economy.
Sourcing all new parts, drive in and out around $1300 - $1600 (inc LSD)..
As Sylox already has LSD it would cheaper as he would only need the gearset...

The 3.9s and the auto have trouble communicating but they is a product to be released in September that will adjust both the speedo and gear shift points.. I know of one unit that can do one or the other but if the speedo is right the car headbutts the rpm limiter before changing gears.. That is only applicable to the 3.9s.. The 3.7's might only need a speedo gear from an XF to adjust the sender and make both 'close' enough

The ratio change form 3:45 to 3:7's would be marginal and you can work it it with simple maths without knowing g/box ratios
Say your car sit on 1500rpm with a 3.08 diff
1500 rpm @ 100 km/h running 3:08's
'x' rpm @100 running 3.90's
'x' is 3.9/3.08 * 1500rpm
x = 1905 rpm
So the car will now sit on 1905rpm @ 100 km/h running 3.9's

IMO i think thats right... :)

·
Registered Snooser
579 Posts
The Chiptorque chip may be able to sort out the speedo calibration issues.
Worth ringing them to find out, unless some one can confirm this?
I would have kept the 3.45 LSD for an auto, (personal choice) and maybe did 1.7 roller rockers with springs and kept the stock cam. Then go and get a chiptorque tuned at the Goldcoast work shop (though I live in Brisbane). This should all be about $1500.
Spring kit, 1.72:1 roller rockers, and a 3.9 diff gear should be around $1500 too!
Then later you can do the 2031 cam to suit the 1.7's.
Depends what you want to achieve, eh!

·
XR82GO
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
EATURBO said:
Mate if it were me i would look around for a cheap second hand supercharger which would give over 200rwkw and would beat many that had spent alot more, you can remove it when you sell it or leave it on and get great dollars for the car when you sell it. The other thing is you could leave the diff gears alone and still have a quite highway cruiser.You might find it easier to sell it later with a blower as alot of young fellas are chasing quick cars something AU V8's are not known for, and another thing nothing sounds as good as a blown ford V8. you should be able to find a blower kit for $3500

yep but $3500 for a supercharger kit + fitting approx $1500 and thats being very optimistic. and it's wayyyyyyyy over $1500 -2000.

The supercharger is on the cards though in a couple of years time, but the setup i want is around the $13,000. Which quite clearly blows the budget at the moment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guy's only just recently became a member & enjoying reading all the threads & reply's, my thoughts on Sylox having only $1500.00 to spend on his motor, cam, springs all fine but as long as you do it all your self otherwise more than half will have to go to a mech for instalation, I've got a AUII sedan auto, still the family car & have done a few mod's myself, pacemaker extractors 2 1/4 dual & K&N pannel filter, on the first run I got 158rwkw & after modifying the factory Tickford air box got on average 166rwkw @396nm & the best was 169rwkw @401nm in (3rd gear auto). I want to try & get at least 180rwkw before I start changing cam,springs,chip or intake by first modifying engine management sensors, I think it's posible, anyway thanks for reading my thread let me know what you think.

JOE.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Firstly 3.9's in 4th you would sit well over 1900 rpm think more like 2500 rpm at 100kph!
This is based on my old el 6 running 4:11's and 2700rpm @100 kph.
Diff is great bang for bucks. if i had an overdrive it would be my next mod for sure.
Go the 3.9's. 3.7 is not a big enough (imo) jump from 3:45. you'll adapt to the extra rpm at 100 kph.

If you crack open the engine you want to have MUCH more than $1500 at your disposal. Port the heads/intake get the 2031 with 1.7 rr's or the 2030 both will be great. 2031 is lil more friendly (est better 5% at idle). YOU WILL NEED TO CHIP IT in some way to make the experience fulfilling which will make the whole process expensive.

IMO i would go 3.9's and a set of 1.7 roller rockers!!!!!!

My cam, air filter r/r and chip gave me 37rwkw! But all up cost around $3000+
with my suggested combo your ready to go the 2031 port the heads and intake all at once down the track a lil.

·
XR82GO
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I already have the $$$'s put aside for the Custom chiptorque chip and it is getting done. So lets leave this out of the figures and take it as a given.
3.9's are definately out the window due to the bulk Hwy K'ms
I will have $1500 to probally 2000 to spend on getting more out of the engine.

The AU2 already has 1.6 rockers so the 2030 will suit that.

I'm going to do a bit of a ring around tomorrow i think and see what workshops are going to quote me. So at the moment would i be correct is saying to them that I want a 2030crane cam and the springs etc to suit and the timing gear. supplied and fitted.

·
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL
538 Posts
LOVMYXR said:
Hi guy's only just recently became a member & enjoying reading all the threads & reply's, my thoughts on Sylox having only $1500.00 to spend on his motor, cam, springs all fine but as long as you do it all your self otherwise more than half will have to go to a mech for instalation, I've got a AUII sedan auto, still the family car & have done a few mod's myself, pacemaker extractors 2 1/4 dual & K&N pannel filter, on the first run I got 158rwkw & after modifying the factory Tickford air box got on average 166rwkw @396nm & the best was 169rwkw @401nm in (3rd gear auto). I want to try & get at least 180rwkw before I start changing cam,springs,chip or intake by first modifying engine management sensors, I think it's posible, anyway thanks for reading my thread let me know what you think.

JOE.
Firstly, welcome to the forums LOVMYXR.

If I had made 169rwkw with just exhaust and air mods I'd be thrilled. I couldn't get past 163 with a 2031 cam, roller rockers and chip on top of that. However I had some other problem to begin with I think. Hopefully a mis-fitted can position sensor has solved all of theat (thanks dodgie) - what a difference that made, car goes like a Jet now. Can't wait to have it dyno'd again (hope it's not all in my head).

Anyway, Sylox... other than things like cam and diff centres I'm sure there are plent of FF members in SE Qld who'd be happy to help you fit the basics such as roller rockers, springs etc. Save you $$$ for other stuff.

·
XR82GO
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Like i said i dont know much about engine internals and I am kinda relying on the experienced ff users here to guide me through.

I had a look at the crow site dodgie is this the crow cam your refering to. (see attached screen shot. In your opinion what advantage is there is going this cam (if this was the one your refering to) in favour of using the Crane 2030

·
Registered
670 Posts
6213711,2,a IN.29/77
EX.79/27
286/286
216/216
.505"
.505" 1800
5800 K6201 Medium performance cam for auto trans cars
This cam looks good for your application!!!!!!!!!!
Does not offer as much lift as the 2030 or 2031 but with stock heads thats fine. Same duration on inlet not ans much on exhaust????? lil nicer at idle maybe.

6213171,2,a IN.26/64
EX.66/24
287/279
222/217
.538"/.538"
6500 K6201 Medium cam for manual trans.
This looks like a goodie for my setup. Pitty i didn't see it earlier (i have 2800odd stall now!)

·
Registered
670 Posts
..... i'd still go the 2030 for your application. 2031 if you worried about idle but that's gonna cost and extra $500 for R/R's.

Go the 2030 (Imo)

21 - 40 of 142 Posts
About this Discussion
141 Replies
23 Participants
AUGhiaV8
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing