Ford Forums banner

81 - 100 of 142 Posts

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,787 Posts
Ghia5L said:
was a "wank factor" little red light
That's a shift light. A shift kit just makes the shifts faster and crisper - but it does generate some heat, so a trans cooler is a must if you have a shift kit in your car. A cheap shift kit for the falcons is the electronic one available through one of the e-series guys.

Sylox - a stall converter change is under $1000 (I have had quotes ranging from $500 to $800). The standard stall speed is around 1600rpm - you wouldn't want to go too much over 2500rpm, if you want to keep it streetable, and especially for highway travel. I know the Commodore autos can retain the torque converter lock up feature, not sure about the falcon ones - you'd only have to ask an auto trans shop to confirm this though.

·
Pro-M Distributor
401 Posts
I know that Dominator make lock up high stall converters for the Ford BTR.

Shane

·
XR82GO
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Well I rang Bob romano up today out of curiousity and asked what his suggestions were with a heads/cam package and got a quote for $6000 for the following
Pair of complete Trickflow twisted Wedge heads
Ford motorsport cam (said that it wasnt a really cammy idle but you definately knew it had a cam. And that it would bring the peak power up around 6200rpm.
The timing gear upgrade
All other little bits gaskets etc
All labour
Unichip fitted and tuned :fraz: Just wondering if it will be better to do the lot at one place. That way if anything goes wrong its not the tuners fault or the mechanics. Its the workshops.
With the power going up by 25% over what i had already dyno'd there. 160.1 up to 200rwkw approx
And also said that for an extra $1500 I could get a complete Trickflow inlet manifold which would give me about 10% more
he said that should get me into the high 13's on the quarter also.

So with Romano's I'm looking at
$6000 for 200rwkw
or
$7500 for 216rwkw

If i went with this quote I would be tossing up whether to get the manifold or do the diff gears....

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
What trickflow manifold is it? I paid just over a grand for my performer manifold & the trickflow were cheaper.

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
Yeah the trickflow intakes are around $950, so just buy your own and take it to him to be fitted (he has the intake off anyway) if he is going to charge you $1500.

Also, IMO there are much better cams out there than the FMS range. The Trickflow 51402000 cam was designed for those heads and should give a great result, or the Crane 2030/2031 cam will also give good results.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
EDXR8 said:
Yeah the trickflow intakes are around $950, so just buy your own and take it to him to be fitted (he has the intake off anyway) if he is going to charge you $1500.

Also, IMO there are much better cams out there than the FMS range. The Trickflow 51402000 cam was designed for those heads and should give a great result, or the Crane 2030/2031 cam will also give good results.
I think Aussie Pete used the smallest trickflow cam in his au stroker. I have a lunati cam to go in my car when it gets put together.

·
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL
538 Posts
sylox said:
Well I rang Bob romano up today out of curiousity and asked what his suggestions were with a heads/cam package and got a quote for $6000 for the following
Pair of complete Trickflow twisted Wedge heads
Ford motorsport cam (said that it wasnt a really cammy idle but you definately knew it had a cam. And that it would bring the peak power up around 6200rpm.
The timing gear upgrade
All other little bits gaskets etc
All labour
Unichip fitted and tuned :fraz: Just wondering if it will be better to do the lot at one place. That way if anything goes wrong its not the tuners fault or the mechanics. Its the workshops.
With the power going up by 25% over what i had already dyno'd there. 160.1 up to 200rwkw approx
And also said that for an extra $1500 I could get a complete Trickflow inlet manifold which would give me about 10% more
he said that should get me into the high 13's on the quarter also.

So with Romano's I'm looking at
$6000 for 200rwkw
or
$7500 for 216rwkw

If i went with this quote I would be tossing up whether to get the manifold or do the diff gears....
You should talk to Slipper... he's been through all of this with Bob already (with stroker kit though too).

·
XR82GO
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
This is the recomended Trickflow package from what i can tell, am i right?
They say the twisted wedge heads are mached to the trackheat manifolds. And that manifolds power range is 1500rpm - 6500 which looks like the power range Im after :fraz: But what would i know lol.

Can anyone detirmine where that cam will make peak power and what the rest of the combo would be like....

And alternativly keeping those heads and manifold would the crane 2030 be a better cam to slot in there??? I seemed to be the cam of choice before

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
You probably want to keep with the street manifold, not the track heat. Track heat is good for a stroker, but on a 5L it will loose a fair bit of low down torque. Peak power with the trickflow cam comes in at about 5500rpm, very similar to the 2030/2031.

The 2030 is a good cam, but IMO the Trickflow one will produces more power and more midrange torque than the crane, especially with the trickflow heads.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
sylox said:
This is the recomended Trickflow package from what i can tell, am i right?
They say the twisted wedge heads are mached to the trackheat manifolds. And that manifolds power range is 1500rpm - 6500 which looks like the power range Im after :fraz: But what would i know lol.

Can anyone detirmine where that cam will make peak power and what the rest of the combo would be like....

And alternativly keeping those heads and manifold would the crane 2030 be a better cam to slot in there??? I seemed to be the cam of choice before
I think I read somewhere the trickflow street is better for the 5L (like the edelbrock performer) in that you don't lose as much low down torque. I could be wrong tho.Good luck with it mate.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
EDXR8 said:
You probably want to keep with the street manifold, not the track heat. Track heat is good for a stroker, but on a 5L it will loose a fair bit of low down torque. Peak power with the trickflow cam comes in at about 5500rpm, very similar to the 2030/2031.

The 2030 is a good cam, but IMO the Trickflow one will produces more power and more midrange torque than the crane, especially with the trickflow heads.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Na with Track heat and cam you won't loose any!!! With these cams you will loose alittle down low..Thats under say ??? 1100 rpm where you wouldn't realy drive anyway...I'v used both and didn't notice any low end power...The R inlet is a different story though..

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
JC-XR8 said:
That's a shift light. A shift kit just makes the shifts faster and crisper - but it does generate some heat, so a trans cooler is a must if you have a shift kit in your car. A cheap shift kit for the falcons is the electronic one available through one of the e-series
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually the faster the shift the less friction there is ..But a good cooler is good practice....Sure doesn't seem like it though ? The tighter the auto less heat but can break internals with hard shifts..

·
XR82GO
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
www.highperformanceworld.com.au

Ok i have some prices for parts.

All prices are indicated to be gst inclusive

$2225 - Trickflow twisted wedge Complete heads TFS 5140 0002

$365 - Trickflow Cam Hyd roller 5.0lt E.F.I.= 279 H TFS 5140 2000

$908 - Trickflow Track heat manifold TFS 5150 0002 or $914 for street manifold

$338 - Edelbrock 70mm Throtle body for ford 5L EDE3825 75mm is only $10 more if needed

$98 - Rollmaster 5.0L Ford Premium Timing chain set ROLCS3040

And I have also emailed them to check if they offer a trade discount. Will post prices for you all to see as well

Certinaly trimed quite a bit off the prices i was quoted :fraz: Will be calling back up tomorrow and asking if the quote for the labour still applies if i supply the parts...

·
3FB Educator!
527 Posts
sylox said:

OK, you will need.....
Roller rockers to suit the TFS heads, either TFS,Ford Motorsport or Crane.
Rocker covers to clear the Trick Flow rockers, thats if you choose these.
Longer,hardened pushrods as the TFS heads require longer pushrods.
A spacer for either manifold to clear the fuel rails, coolant temp sensor and rocker covers, as the TFS heads have a raised rocker cover rail.
If I had to do this again,I would go with the Ford or Crane RR as they dont have the tall posi locks that the TFS RRs use.I would also have gone with the Track Heat manifold as the only time the revs are below 1500rpm is at idle as when you put you foot down from a standing start, the revs imediatly go past 1500 rpm as the car launches.
Hope this helps in some way.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
sylox said:

$338 - Edelbrock 70mm Throtle body for ford 5L EDE3825 75mm is only $10 more if needed

$98 - Rollmaster 5.0L Ford Premium Timing chain set ROLCS3040

And I have also emailed them to check if they offer a trade discount. Will post prices for you all to see as well

Certinaly trimed quite a bit off the prices i was quoted :fraz: Will be calling back up tomorrow and asking if the quote for the labour still applies if i supply the parts...
I am pretty sure they do trade prices.Will be interesting to see what they quote you for labour now.

·
XR82GO
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Yeah they do do trade prices I will just have to send in a fax requesting the trade price on the parts using our company letter head. So thats going to have to wait untill monday now:fraz:

But they said they out of the heads and manifold that i want. And are waiting on the shipment next week.

Havent heard back from Romano's yet asked for a detailed quote to be sent out.

Will update you all when i can

·
Registered
670 Posts
Sounds good mate! can't wait to see/hear you coming up my way to demo your new bits!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
JC-XR8 said:
That's a shift light. A shift kit just makes the shifts faster and crisper - but it does generate some heat, so a trans cooler is a must if you have a shift kit in your car. A cheap shift kit for the falcons is the electronic one available through one of the e-series guys.
Sounds very good to me! I'd really like to get off my ass one day & make a new det`ent`e (sp?) gate thingy, so that I can't shift from D-N-R without the button being in, and so that I can shift 1-2-3-D without the button. I've had a scare of almost going into reverse at 40kph when I accidentally knocked the T-bar (kinda hard)!

When I've got the time & the $$$ I'll look in to how I can participate in a benificial & worthwhile transaction with the said e-series salesman ;)

Thanks for the info JC

-Dave-

·
XR82GO
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Ok well guys very little progess here at the moment. :fraz:

Still waiting for the official quote from Romano's

Byrant engineering is getting back to me also. (different options but very well priced talking stroker there)

Redcliff dyno is going over the parts for me and will definately have a quote by tomorrow. He said he wanted to work out the power this package should achive.

But as a bonus for things not happening very quickly I have scored my self a complete set of AU pusuit250 premium brakes at a price that is an absolute steal.
That gets everything ... consisting of 329 mm grooved discs with four piston calipers up front and 287 mm grooved discs with four piston calipers out back, teamed with Bosch three-channel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS). It's all been 2-pak painted and cleared, and also comes with brand new EBC GreenStuff pads.

81 - 100 of 142 Posts
About this Discussion
141 Replies
23 Participants
AUGhiaV8
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing