·
100MPH Hunter
1,045 Posts
Did you buy CYA's brake system???

·
Copyright �2003
1,517 Posts
AUGhiaV8 said:
Trust me... throw those EBC pads in the bin - they'll stuff your rotors in no time.
I wonder if using the EBC pads on the standard rotors is perhaps a problem, because I've actually found the complete opposite.

I have the Premium brakes on the XR and chewed through the front rotors in under 20,000 odd klm on the standard Ford pads. When I had the rotors replaced I immediately change to the EBC Green Stuff pads and pushing 30,000 klm later the rotors are still looking great (although due for a pad change and lite machine).

I also found that compared to the standard pads the EBC ones a lot more consistant, brake harder and so far last longer and believe me I don't spare the brakes. :angel:

·
100MPH Hunter
1,045 Posts
And I can vouch for that, Grunter doesn't drive very soft either!!!!

·
XR82GO
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Yep got Cya's brakes. And i will also vouch for Grunter not going easy on the brakes. think 12.5 1/4 290rwkw.
And that brings me to my next question Grunter.Whats she making now mate with the extra's :wnc:

And Redcliff Dyno have been flat out and hadn't got the quote for me yet but ensured i will have it no later than Monday. He ran the parts and the utes specs through the engine program he uses and said he came up with a conservative (set air temp @ 45degrees) estimate of 330rwhp.

And still nothing from Romano's as far as quotes go... :fraz:

back to update soon

·
Registered
670 Posts
WOW thats big power from a 5.0. Tell me the list again! 244rwkw is that right!
If thats possible thats great!
Look forward to see how much.
Most 347's make around that figure with good heads and so on.

·
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL
538 Posts
You might be right about the standard rotor thing... I had two sets of standard DBAs destroyed by the EBC pads - slotted etc may counter the heat issues with these pads. A search of the forums will reveal the issues many have had with the EBCs and the reasons why. I won't go on about it here.

Sylox, I think that's about the same power Slipper is getting with his stroked engine plus Trickflow everything, cam etc. I can see me takin' a trip to Redcliff soon!

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
sylox said:
And Redcliff Dyno have been flat out and hadn't got the quote for me yet but ensured i will have it no later than Monday. He ran the parts and the utes specs through the engine program he uses and said he came up with a conservative (set air temp @ 45degrees) estimate of 330rwhp.
330rwhp (244rwkw) sounds a bit bit high for that combo unless you have added a few more things. I would be counting on around 210rwkw out of a 5.0L with those parts or about 230rwkw out of a stroker package.

·
XR82GO
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Yeah my thoughts were about the same with the power figure. I will double check with them and make sure I didnt miss- hear Steve he did say he was trying to remember what the figures he got were as he didnt have them at work. :Fraz:
And everything is still the same Twisted wedge heads / Track heat manifold / Trickflow cam / 70 - 75mm TB / Redcliff dyno comp instead of unichip . + the diff gears and shift kit

Personally i will be happy with 220rwkw and getting into the high 13's. Anything above that is a bonus.

Time will tell i suppose but anything under 200rwkw and i will be asking questions

·
XR82GO
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
I still havent recieved 1 single quote from any workshop yet :fraz: I'm sure as hell not going into this with a "oh 5-6g should pull you up" and then pick up the ute and get told its 8grand. No way been there done that.

So lets hope by next friday the thing is at the least booked in some where. grrr

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
EDXR8 said:
But they are both 5.6L strokers, not 5.0L engines.
Exactly I thought they where strokers above...Must read better !!!

240 rwhp maybe ???

·
XR8 & Ford Probe owner
128 Posts
sylox said:
But as a bonus for things not happening very quickly I have scored my self a complete set of AU pusuit250 premium brakes at a price that is an absolute steal.
That gets everything ... consisting of 329 mm grooved discs with four piston calipers up front and 287 mm grooved discs with four piston calipers out back, teamed with Bosch three-channel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS). It's all been 2-pak painted and cleared, and also comes with brand new EBC GreenStuff pads.
1 word Andrew
BASTARD lol
Needed them last Sunday at Darlingtom Park done about 25 laps all up and now they are well and truely cactus - they are making a hell of a squeal now i will have to change the pads the paint on the backing plate of the pads is now blisted there were quite a few laps trying to stop from about 160 - 170kmh to 50 kmh for the right hander at the end of the straight.

·
XR82GO
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
I grabbed cya's brakes as soon as he offered them lol. After that First track day at Darlington park my standard brakes were cactus by the end of the 2nd hot lap. Thus i thought it was a wise move to grab these suckers as the problem was only going to get worse with the extra power on board.

And on the quote front I am once again without any :fraz:
But after phone calls with both Romanos I should have the quote by thursday at the very latest as Chris has been away. And Have been assured i will have Redcliff's quote tomorrow at Lunch time.

The waiting is killing me :wnc:

·
XR82GO
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Ok some progress. Well sort of :fraz:

I got the quote from Redcliff Dyno today when i rang up at lunch time and spent about 40min on the Phone talking things over with Steve. I'll give him points for service, very happy to explain everything and make suggestions here and there.

Here is the quote i got

$1700 labour
$1595 Redcliff Dyno computer and inc all dyno time(will explain further down this post)
$550 Shift kit

Now he said that he would rather me get all the parts and bring them to him because when he rang around yesterday he had trouble finding any of the Trickflow gear. So i would have to get the following.

Trickflow Twisted wedge heads
trickflow Camshaft
Trickflow Track Heat manifold
EdelBrock 75mm Throtle body
Lifters , Springs , Rockers
Rollermaster Premium Timing chain set And timing seal set
VRS set
Rockercovers
hardend 1 peice pushrods

Now Steve insisted on a stall converter to go with the cam and said that i was going to need at least a 3000rpm stall. It will still drive as normal he said untill I plant the foot and hit will just flare up to stall speed.

The Redcliff Dyno Computer that I will have to use if i get the work done there Was a whopping $1595 but it CAN MOVE THE REV LIMITER, it has launch control, Nos activation (not that i will ever have it), Data logging , boost control and a heap of other stuff. The price included all dyno time whether it takes a couple of hours or a couple of days. And he said he would be highly supprised if it didnt take a whole day.

It would be 3 weeks wait before it could go in
And when it did he would need the ute for 2 weeks to do the whole job or 1 week if he wasnt organising the trans work.

His opinion of the package was it Will have stacks down low and still come on very strong up top. The stall would be fine for everyday driving. The shift kit would shift firm but not hard/violent. And that if money was becoming an issue he would definately do the shift kit and stall before the diff gears.

Hmmm so what do you all think when you add the parts i have to get into that the budget has been blown some what :fraz:
I'll send away for the quote on the parts (the new list) and have another look. Still awaiting Romano's quote also....

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
sylox said:
Now Steve insisted on a stall converter to go with the cam and said that i was going to need at least a 3000rpm stall. It will still drive as normal he said untill I plant the foot and hit will just flare up to stall speed.
The stock convertor will be fine with the Trickflow 51402000 cam as it has a power range of 1500-5500, and I know a few people running it with stock auto's. The wilder 51402001 cam would probably need a higher stall, but even then its only rated at 2500-3000rpm.

Also what do they do for the shift kit, most companies just upgrade the S5 solenoid to an AU spec one (which you already have) and up the pressure.

You also mention you need to get new lifters. Your current ones will be fine as they are roller lifters and don't wear, plus new ones are expensive. If they have done a lot of kms, just disasemble them and clean them out.

·
XR82GO
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
EDXR8 said:
The stock convertor will be fine with the Trickflow 51402000 cam as it has a power range of 1500-5500, and I know a few people running it with stock auto's. The wilder 51402001 cam would probably need a higher stall, but even then its only rated at 2500-3000rpm.

Also what do they do for the shift kit, most companies just upgrade the S5 solenoid to an AU spec one (which you already have) and up the pressure.

You also mention you need to get new lifters. Your current ones will be fine as they are roller lifters and don't wear, plus new ones are expensive. If they have done a lot of kms, just disasemble them and clean them out.
If i dont need the converter thats going to Bring that bill down to $3850 but even still with the other bits it wont be comming in under $7000 total

The shift kit I am unsure of he did go into it with me but with the rest of the info my brain has failed there. It is an electronic one however and it doesnt burn the solenoid out like the one that was going around here

I'll ask about the lifter when i get him to check the parts list over.

Cheers mate im so looking like this :fraz: at the moment

and if the other quote comes in that far over budget I may just scrap the whole plan and just go 3.7's + shift kit + chip and do some interior work and add another sub. Because its just not worth wacking a cam in and not doing the rest due to the labour content as was stated earlier in this thread

·
Registered
670 Posts
Wouldn't worry about a chip without a cam or similar to make it worthwile. Redcliff are big on the chip thing before anything else but i'm unconvinced. 3.9 diff as we talked about to wake up the gear ratio's, firmer shifts, are a good place to start. Stall converter with cam, manifold and heads can come second. I'm contemplating heads again as well. yes, yes we are on a merrygoround (spelling?).
.... put it this way: I wish i had that 4th gear so i could get the diff gears done!!!!!! 3.9's would be sweet!

101 - 120 of 142 Posts