Ford Forums banner

121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
XR82GO
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
I rang romanos and they said they would get the quote to me today. No quote arrived. I'm sorry but thats just poor customer relations. I'll vouch for the work they have done on Grunters car but I'm wondering if he had to hit them with a stick to get it done:fraz:

Along with various other issues I am contimplating just going to plan B
1.7 rocker
3.7/3.9diff gears
Shift kit
chip
Premium brakes
Maybe some wheels etc

oh and here are the Trade prices for all the parts from High performance world for the original build
HIGHPERFORMANCEWORLD.COM said:
TFS51400002 heads are $2188.35 You may also consider the Track Heat heads 51400010 because they have heavier dual springs, however they do not have EGR. These would cost you $2336.72. If you want EGR you will have to buy the 51400002 heads and upgrade the springs with a Crane dual 99893-16 for example. These springs would cost you $280.

TFS51402000 camshaft is $348

TFS51500002 Track Heat intake $1001.50

Edelbrock Throttle bodies 70mm $325, 75mm $365

Rollmaster t/set $85.95

Harland Sharp roller rockers $468.45 Crow moly pushrods $275

TFS valve covers silver coated finish- std height $231.70 tall $251.30 Oil filler kit $55.88

Cam change gaskets + Felpro head gaskets $60 New ARP head bolts (recommended) $82.38

·
3FB Educator!
527 Posts
"Harland Sharp roller rockers $468.45"
Just get George to check that these will fit the TFS heads as when we did ours, he recomended Yella Terras which had a clearance problem between the posi-lock and the rocker body.
It would be great if they do fit as they are a lot cheaper than the crane gold and the TFS ones that we ended up getting.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
sylox said:
And just for interests sake i still havent got that quote of Romano's :fraz: I have given up on the idea totally now....
Given up getting romano's to do the work or just not get it done? Surely someone up there must be able to do it for you?

Maybe romano's aren't interested in doing the work since you are supplying the parts & they can't rip you off with their prices.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hahaha. sounds about right! Try getting Herrod to do somthing when you supply parts. LOL. They are entitled to make a profit of course and good on them for doing so but sounds like Romano's Has same probs as Herrods. There well known (star) status is getting the better of there customer service. I rand herrods for info reguarding what they can do for my fathers xr6 Au3 telling them we had looked at a Turbo and the responce was rude and abrupt 'We don't do that, so that answers that question'. I asked them what alternatives there were and all he quoted me was prices $3500, $7000-$8000 without explaning what the $ were for. More questions on my part only ended up with me ending the call with a feeling of being treated very second rate. And i have used Herrods twice before. Once to get auto manual convertion done and once for dyno. This was a few years ago and they were okay with customer service then as time has passed they forgot all about customer service. Sorry to the manager at Herrod for not starting the call with a VISA number. Maybe this is what I needed to do.

Sorry about the sling at a great FORD supporter but it was due.

Just as well Forums like these exist or us FORD enthusiasts would be even further behind our Holden friends/rivals.

To balance this comment i have used Starr performance too on 2 1/2 occations (once for chiptorque chip) and the service was better even if not brilliant and that was with a FORD in his HOLDEN driveway.

Sorry about the off topic but there are 5 Good Holden orientated mechanics out there ford every 1 FORD mechanic.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Having said that have all you viewers and posters Donated to F/F yet?

·
XR82GO
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Gambit said:
Maybe romano's aren't interested in doing the work since you are supplying the parts & they can't rip you off with their prices.
I wasnt supplying the parts I did however mention that the part prices he guessed at i could get much cheaper just using a standard trade discount

Gambit said:
Given up getting romano's to do the work or just not get it done? Surely someone up there must be able to do it for you?
Given up on going all out on the engine yes, given up on Mods for the ute never :wnc:

Bought some nice 18's yesterday and going to further improve my aftermarket suspension. And a bit lower again so those 18's really sit nice.

I have to wait for the Premium brakes to come off Cya's ute (he's waiting for 6pot alcons) and they Will go on.

Going to do diff gears and chip but am just trying to think out the decision of the diff gears. 3.7s or 3.9's.
3.7's will raise my rpm @100kph by around 200rpm
3.9's will raise my rpm @100kph by around 360rpm
The decision is balancing on me deciding if i can accept the extra fuel usage on the why:fraz:

Sh!t happens, plans change blah blah blah lol

·
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL
538 Posts
At least slide the Crane 2031 in too... you'll find heaps of places that will do it. Make the most of your chip - I wouldn't chip if you aren't going to crack the engine open a bit.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm with marcus actually get the cam into it too. More power is only one benefit. Only thing better than a Ford AU sitting low and pretty with 18's is one that says I am a V8 when it idles and screams it at redline! To save $$$ put the 2030 in so as to match the 1.6 r/r.

Doesn't 170-180 odd rwkw (if not more) sound better than 160 odd to you.

·
XR82GO
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Would love to slip the cam in but I can't find a repuatble place that will do it for a resonable price. Plus on top of that the need for a bigger stall is debatable.

And there is no consideration anymore to using anything but the chiptorque chip purely based on the $750 price tag for a custom dyno tuned chip. Just over half of a unichip and about $900 cheaper than redcliff's piggy back.

I'm not against paying for a good job to be done but i am definatley against paying for a job that comes with rude or very little customer service and 200% mark up on all parts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Don't have to use the BIG name brand labour. Read my Bitching about Herrods. They aren't speed shops really anyway. Widowmaker up here or Ask AUghia. His was cheap and the work was good. His Fairmont ain't all that lighter than our utes and he has a 14.3 to his name with no headwork. I'll talk to the places for you if i need to but i think it's money well spent. That ute is going to be a sweet machine and your not selling it right?

Hehehe.

·
XR82GO
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Definately not for sale anymore.

Your welcome to have a chat to your mates at widowmaker and get a price on the work Tom. I'll take holiday lol work has been sh!t and i sure need one. see how quick they can do the work. EG if its a 6hr job can they do it in that time or do they need 6hrs over 6days

·
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL
538 Posts
Try TR Engines at Slacks Creek - $600 (ask to speak with Jeff). I think he has put his hourly rate up since then however shouldn't be too much more. I supplied all the parts (even the radiator fluid). Not the slickest shop around but not too bad either. They run drag cars themselves so at least have half a clue.

Have you tried John White Racing?... I think he's in Wooloongabba.

Tom makes a great suggestion... if you already have 1.6 roller rockers then definately go the 2030 cam. Better again performance wise and the chip will sort out any cranky idle yet still keep it 'soothingly lumpy'.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Widowmaker will want to pull the engine and charge about $940 labour. They strip the thing down to leaving the heads and crank etc alone. They like to make sure they get it right. One thing you should remember, get it done somewhere you can go back to easily when possible (not 4 hours away). Not that I don't want you up for a holiday! If all else fails Chiptorque will surely Know. Slaks creek is Brissy aint it?

·
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL
538 Posts
Slacks Creek (or Spingwood) is 20kms or so south of Brisbane. Wooloongabba in pretty much near the centre of Brissy.

T R Engines - 25 Rowland St Slacks Creek 4127 (07) 3208 3688 (click here for map)
John White Racing Engines - 8 Deshon St, Woolloongabba 4102 (07) 3391 7533 (click here for map)

Get hold of a Brisbane yellow Pages and flick to the Motor (Motorsport) and or engine builders sections... you should find some more options there too.

Good luck.

·
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL
538 Posts
Good idea Tom... check with ChipTorque to see if they can recommend anyone further south. PM HYPO4T (Matt) - he works there.

121 - 140 of 142 Posts