Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
omg sik neons bro
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'lo, within the next few months i'm planing to purchase a vehicle through auction. I'm probably looking at spending around sub $8000. I know receetly some decent AU's have been going for around 10-11k+ in yards and private , Would anyone have an idea of the average going prices for series1/2 au's in good nick? w/average kays..

If they were out of my price range, i'd probably be looking at getting an ef-el, as i've heard now day's they go cheap as chips at auction no one would know what a el fairmont ghia, optioned with leather etc would go for would they? or even a gli ef/el :p.. and is there much of a price gap between i4l, and 5l v8's?

The purchase will either be at Adelaide or in Melbourne, if anyone could provide some usefull information or hint & tips, it will be greatly appreciated.

·
GUN.40L
407 Posts
im from n.s.w and purchased an ef ghia not long ago. i was lookingfor an ef el fairmont/ghia/xr6 or an au forte or futura. what i saw at the auctions was mainly au sereis ones woth about 200ks on the clock which were ex company cars going for about 7-8 grand. i didnt see not one ef or el ghia so i ended up buying from a yard. some acutions are dodgy esp the ones were u cant drive a car. i bought my ea from an auction and it came wit ha recent pinkslip although the gearbox was gone in it and the bastards woudlnt do anything about it. that kinda turned me off auctions but in a price range of $8000 it shoudlnt be too worrying. your best bet i think would be going for a clean el as to find an au series one forte which hasnt been a company car will show to be difficult, good luck anyways mate!

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
i've seen heaps of different cars go, from done up EL's to stock AU's and BMW 7 series.
A AU1 Forte went for $14k when i went once, but it only had 20,000km's on it.

·
omg sik neons bro
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheers ppl :), yer i've thought about the au's for that price, i'm not to sure if i'd get one.. prehaps if it was good genuine company car, or a gen private car.. then maybe but i'm thinking more along the lines of ef/el .. trying to decide if i want a 5l but i guess it's probably hard to find a decent one for my price

·
Often has bolts left over
848 Posts
my dad managed to pick up a 2000 AU2 station wagon with 120k for $12300 at the auctions in adelaide a few months ago. it was a kimberly-clark (tissue paper people) rep vehicle. I personally would not buy a private person's car at auction, they may have decided to sell it for a reason other than age. if you buy an ex-fleet car it will be exactly 3 years old and has been serviced on the dot, only reason they are being sold is because it is 3 years old.

·
formerly sikEA
2,142 Posts
I bought my old EA at auction back in 2001 with 120 000ks for $3500. I got that exact money back 7 months ago when it was written off :)

I paid $6500 for my EL Fairmont at auction 7 months ago with 212 000. Bloody good buy. I will never ever buy a car privately.

Up here in Brisbane i also almost bought a EF Gli, 140 000ks in great nick but needing a head gasket. That sold for $2200. A week after i bought my EL a EF XR6 5 spd with 170 000ks in good nick went for $7500

You just gotta know what your looking for. Dont go that way if you dont know anything about cars, its still a big gamble even if you do know about them, but check it over thoroughly. look for coolant stains, look for oil stains, make sure it runs ok, you cant drive them most of the time so its hard to check the gearbox and diff. Check for rust, and I'd also make sure all the little ford tags are on all the panels, that'll tell you if they are genuine.

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
I can recommend you to a car broker in adelaide who will find what ever you want, one owner vehicles. He's a huge ford man but is not biased as to what he sells. PM me if your interested.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts