Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,
well as you can tell my Speedo in my AUII spack isn't working. Last friday i was driving to work, doing 110 on the M4, the suddenly 120, 130, 120 and back to 110, since then it's been ok. This morning i was driving to work again & whilst doing 70, speedo went to zero, the odoometer stopped adding and the trans went into limp mode. Now i'm thinking my transducer is shagged, i searched the forums before & it appears this has happend to others. I've booked the car in at Ford early next week, but my question is, is this a common problem???? I'm really astonished that the transducer could fail after just over 3 years & 65ks use. I remember we changed one on my bro's fairlane a couple of years back but the car was 20yrs old, that was understandable. It could be just a dodgy part, but i always seem to get those, especially around the holiday periods when parts/reapair places are closed.

Cheers,
Adrian.

·
Boat Hunting ;)
1,632 Posts
you havent been fiddling around with any of the dash or trans have you?? (ANY of it??) this happened to me, after I did some minor fiddling (changed speedo to blue)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
younggun, i did a service two weeks ago, but there wasn't a problem until last friday, all i did was plugs, oil & filters. How did you go about fixing it. I'm thinking it's the speed sensor but i can't get under my car atm because my back's crook. The worst thing is that it's stuck in limp mode, so i can't drive it around.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, got it fixed this morning. As i had suspected the transducer need to be replaced, works fine now.

Cheers,
Adrian.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Its a common problem dude.

Similar thing happened back in August 2000 when I picked up my new AUII Forte. In fact, the first time the speedo went to zero and the transmission went to "limp-home", the transducer had just become lose. It happened again about one week later, and this time they replaced the transducer. Hasn't happened again....

My AUII build was in July 2000. I am begiing to think there may have been a bad batch. Do u know your build month/date ?

·
Fu(kn Slow & Low
479 Posts
my dads au1 doesnt do that exactly but the speedo acts like a tacho some times, you rev it while in neutral and the speedo will go up exactly how the tacho will, i thought that was weird, told the old man about it, but its never happened with him. any idea what that could be?? plus what is limp mode???

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Guys,

JamesA

My AUII was built in Aug 2000, so it's possibly a bad batch as you were saying. I hope it doesn't happen again. Since i brought the car i noticed that when i'm cruzing at about 70 in drive i could hear a grinding (not of metal though) noise coming from the trans, since the transducer was replaced it's gone so maybe thats what i was hearing.

EA_GHIA_2NV

Mate that sounds like a problem with the instrument cluster or maybe a bad earth, i don't think it was in limp mode. If it was in limp mode it would drive like crap, holds gears for a very long time, shifts rough and won't engage overdrive fourth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts