Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i just brought an AUII XR6 Pursuit ute, its got the 6cyl VCT engine in it along with the normal power output (172kw). of course i just got my P's and after saving up all the cash for 2 years i brought the best looking car on the road!
anyways, i was toying with the idea of a few mods, lowering-either 35 or 50mm? new 3" exhaust system, new chip, 70mm throttle body and a mass air flow sensor. and IF i get all this, the next thing will be the new Tickford brakes off the new T-series (255kw version)
sound reasonable? i need some ideas.
thanx heaps.
Teza

ps, it fucking hooks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
superchargersuperchargersupercharger OR
turboturboturboturboturbo
i have xls v8 supercharged 6psi 202kw rear wheels
mate has ED 6cyl turbo 5.5psi intercooled will get you 182+++kw at the wheels.

HSV SUX on Condomodors
talk to lpgas1 in vic (i know i know) for supercharger or CAPA

turbo is good for blow off valve noise pshhhht!
both are better and cheaper for fuel and per kw that N/Aspired. Ive been down that road with an el six and with cip, cam ,head work, extractors and exhaust 137.2kw r/wheels was the limit. bigger ports/throttle bodies means less down low power 4:11s will fix that
go the fords.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bee careful with 3 inch if staying n/aspired you will probably loose all that fun punchy acceleration except between 5000 and 5500 rpm
(fairly useless)

CIP stands for CHIP in 'stoopid english'
wan't hsv's and rexzzzzzz's to be a part of your complete breakfast go the blower/turbo
if your ute manual (real ute) you can easily go too 11 or 12psi with intercooler F&^%$#@ fantastic! nothing scares em like a 4ltr turbo love crusing on chapel st (in vic) with my mate zzzzip pssshhhh!......oooh yehhh

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Im going to disagree with Terra, tests have proven that the bigger the exhaust, the more power youll have across all RPMS.
If you loose low down power after youve put an exhaust system on then it'll be because of poor header design, not the diameter of the pipe. Pull off the exhaust after the headers for maximum power :D

From what ive heard, Pacemaker build the best headers available so I would go with them, then a 3inch pipe with a flow-through muffler and a resonator.

The only problem with the 3inch piping is clearance over the axle, especially if you plan to lower it. If there are problems run 3inch pipe up until the 1st muffler or before the diff, then 2.5inch after that. Oh and keep the tip the same size as the exhaust! No riceboy drain-pipe sized tip !!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i had pacemakers on my six and it did'nt work very well with a three. i ay be wrong with the AU xr6's though. i would recomend chatting to alot more than on exhaust guy too get the best combination of exhaust.
nothing stops you going 2.5 into 3inch.
Martin power does increase through most of the band on the right exhaust but pull your pipes off at the extractor even on a v8 and you'll loose power through the whole band unless the car is set up for it.
Ask about what the exhaust will do to the (more important for take off) TORQUE CURVE!!!
big beathing apparatus is why big cam v8's have slow take off's without stalling up the car or dropping the clutch.
that said there is some lag in blowers and turbo's too.
have we confused you yet???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
P.s. on au11 v8's the exhaust unhooks (2 bolts) at the back of the twin cats.
I errr did some pipless driving for research reasons :) and fond that although it sounded great (and i mean nascar great!) the car was much slower than with the standard choky exhaust.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a set of HM Headers extractors with the high flow cat. attached, noticed increase across the range immediately after install, especially over 3000rpm. I later had a 2.5in straight through system installed, 124kw at the wheels on dyno. After a Unichip it now has 137kw at wheels, my car is a AU XR6 HP by the way. Go to www.hmheaders.com.au and check out the dyno graphs they did on a Forte. They have to be the best on the market, about $800.00 though, they state 15kw at wheels with system, I've experienced it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mat be too that with a 3 inch the muffler may NOT be actually 3inch inside.Some are 2& 1/2 inside with 3 inch outlets.Some do it that way to make it quiet.3" requires much bigger muff to quiet'n as much as 2& half. Have you disconnected battery so ecu can reprogram?With higher flow.

·
Australian Member
255 Posts
Hey Teza,

Hmm I've got the pacemaker extractors, 3" hi flow cat, 3" muffler and 3" pipe work afterwards. It gives my Au S a bit of a bang. But you will loose alitte power down low.. i've found to about 2500 - 3000 thats when it kicks in, and the note that you get is awesome..

Will

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
time your cars with a gtek or somthing but i definetly found that there was less punch until 3500-5500 and by that stage the other guy has at least 1 lenth on you and to catch up you have to wind the dial past 120kmp/h.
You guy's maybe right on my 5 ltr v8 even w/out s/c i did notice a big difference. it just didn't work for the six.
do you guy's have mates with cars similar to yours in performance. i do and sometimes it might feel better and sound better but it's not.
my mate has an ED turbo and we get our mods done in a sort of stagger on after the other so we can see just how good the mod really is.

in any case one thing is for sure........fords rule.........espectially utes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts