Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have an AUIII 6 cyl and my problem is that the heater has a mind of its own. Sometimes it will work and some times it wont. It is not the blower or fan its the heat. Sometimes when you turn the heater on it will just blow icy cold air instead of hot air.

My question is this - is there a vacuum or electric controlled tap on the AUIII heater lines that may not open sometimes or is it likely to be another fault?

Please reply here or e-mail me if you have any solutions
Thanking you in advance

Andrew

·
Registered
18 Posts
according to the aftermarket workshop manual and I quote 'As the temp knob is rotated toward the warm position, a vacuum operated valve opens allowing coolant to flow thru the heater core. At the same time a flap inside the heater case opens to allow air to pass thru the heater core' unquote.
no mention of what controlls the flap, a stiff wire/vacuum or electric but I would go with a wire.
according to a pic, the heater coolant valve is located in the engine bay nearest to the engine about 200mm from the bulkhead grommet.
thats all under the snailshaped inlet manifold and above the starter motor, a fun place to play unless you have ramps/pit or hoist.

untill I just read the book, I thought the heater was in constant flow and just isolated by the airflaps.
this system of operation covers all from1998 to 2002 and I wouldnt mind betting older models too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, I'll check out the flap under the dash. The Vacuum operated tap seems to be working fine, but I can't reproduce the problem whenever I want. It is very erratic so i am waiting for it to happen again and i'll check the tap again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts