Ford Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
AUII Fairmont Ghia 5.0 V8
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pick up my "new" 11/2000 Fairmont Ghia V8 tomorrow. Engine is is bog standard 175kw V8. There's 54,000km on the clock.

The car has Ford's three year extended warranty. The car will be used as my work car every day, and will rack up around 120,000km over the next four years. It **has** to be reliable. I can't afford the thing to be tied up in the workshop.

I want to give the thing a bit of a tickle, but the parts will have to come from Ford's parts bins and be fitted by a Ford dealer to safeguard the warranty. I don't want to over-capitalise the car, and have in mind a $2,000 - $2,500 budget for the engine.

I'm thinking along the lines of adding what I can from the 185kw or 200kw XR8 parts, starting with exhaust manifolds. Any thoughts on the biggest bang for the buck, within warranty constraints ?

TIA

Abacus

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
1,934 Posts
Full Liverpool exhaust,$1600+K&N,$120+1.72 roller rockers,$700 = 25KWs simple>>>

·
1,934 Posts
Abacus said:
Thanks guys,

Can you recommend a source for the roller rockers?

Abacus
I would use SVO ones, but the yella terra rockers are cheaper.....

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
VPW has the YT 1.72 rockers for $436.95 which is about the best price you will find.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
sbutler said:
I would use SVO ones, but the yella terra rockers are cheaper.....

The Y.T shaft / pedestal are much stronger & better....
The adjusable's are even better...

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your help everybody,

I just received a quote from Powerchip for their Gold 98 chip. They claim it will boost power from 175kw to 197kw, with the standard exhaust system, for $990. Seems too good to be true - anybody got experience with these?

Seems to me that if their claims are correct, Powerchip plus exhaust system might be the way to go. Ford won't like either mod, but at least the Powerchip is (apparently) invisible..............

Abacus

·
2,784 Posts
IMO you will get very little from a chip alone, the factory EEC is quite good at working its way around chips. Much better idea to put the money into a decent exhaust system. A cam change will also get you some good power, people are seeing upto 40rwkw improvements with a Crane 2030/2031 cam in the AU's.

·
1,934 Posts
Abacus said:
Thanks for your help everybody,

I just received a quote from Powerchip for their Gold 98 chip. They claim it will boost power from 175kw to 197kw, with the standard exhaust system, for $990. Seems too good to be true - anybody got experience with these?

Seems to me that if their claims are correct, Powerchip plus exhaust system might be the way to go. Ford won't like either mod, but at least the Powerchip is (apparently) invisible..............

Abacus
Do all the other stuff first, dont get caught up the whole chip thing IMO

·
Registered
670 Posts
custom pogrammed chip is only way to go when getting your car tuned. Powerchip is a little firm in melbourne. Get a unichip or chip torque chip. every car is different. I have same base engine as you. Get the cam and roller rockers done after and exhaust and extractor upgrade. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE EXTRACTORS! yours are junk! this along with K&N and custom chip and you'll see 160rwkw-190rwkw (depends on car and dyno).

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep. I did some searching after posting the above question about the Powerchip (should have done it before). Seems nobody's thrilled with them, so I won't go down that road. General consensus seems to be to look at a Uni-chip or Chiptorque after all the hardware upgrades have been completed, 'cos they're calibrated to each individual car.

First step, as several people have pointed out, will have to be exhaust. I'll fit the K&N at the same time.

I spend a lot of time stuck in Sydney's traffic snarls. What would 1.72 RRs (without a cam upgrade) do to idling quality and low speed torque?

Thanks,

Abacus

·
2,784 Posts
Abacus said:
I spend a lot of time stuck in Sydney's traffic snarls. What would 1.72 RRs (without a cam upgrade) do to idling quality and low speed torque?
Idle and low down torque will stay the same, the increased lift will help up high. The roller rockers will also help the engine rev easier and prevent valve guide wear.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again everyone. At the end of all that I'll be doing exactly what sbutler told me to do in the first place...

Cheers,

Abacus

1 - 17 of 17 Posts