Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only driven a few kays so far. It turns out this car has a non-standard exhaust (the whole car drones something shocking) and a K&N filter.

But get this, if it's 220kW I'll stand rooted. And when you rev it a bit (over 3000) the vibes from the drivetrain are BAD. I had an old Centura I put a 277 maniac motor into and it used to bend clutch pressure plates. When they bent the clutch assy went out of balance and the whole car shook. This TE is doing just that.

I'm worried. This car is awesome in the rain (IRS grip is A1), but it don't go and I'm gonna need a dentist. If my XR turns up like this it aint worth 50grand. The LS1 would crap all over this car.

Perhaps Laminge and HSE2 could settle me down... :(

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
Maybe the previous borrowees were'nt as kind to it as you are...
It hasn't been mentioned in any previous reviews...
Have fun anyway :D

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Not sure what to tell you. Ford have had some troubles with drive line vibration. Generally the problem hasn't been the clutch.
Sounds like your car might have had a hard life.

As for not being 220kw, I am not surprised you come to that conclusion. Because of the nature of the two engines the TE is going to feel disappointing. I think you might find however that the feeling is deceptive. What did I tell you about the grip!!!

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
A droning exhaust ahhhhhh no, that must be real annoying. Especially if it resonates at a particular speed.
Well i doubt this TE-50 is a representation of all T-Series falcons.
So this is the first 220kw windsor you've driven???????

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
BTW, how many kays on the clock????
Where are u now, you should drop by and take us for a spin, hehehehehehe me in Alexandria.:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
The km on the clock is important. They reckon the windsor doesn't come good until after 10000km. Mine is better and i noticed it after about 15000km

My exhaust drones a bit too. Not too bad but that is the price you pay after deleting the rear end

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This IS the first 220 I've driven> It doesn't feel as sweet as the 200 I drove so I'm lost on that one. The GRIP is sensational. The rear end is like nothing I've driven before. even on rain covered metal join strips (on bridges) there is no loss of grip.

Car has around 3400km on the clock.

EF Guy - I'm at the Airport (just up the road). Maybe we can tee up a ride for you this afternoon. I'm not on my private email so I'l lsend you a message with my phone number.

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
That's definitely dissapointing Aussie Pete. Although I'm not that suprised that this car is knackered. It's more than likely one of a few media cars that have been guttered from the word GO..and that's not a good thing when its brand new!

T

·
0 Posts
if it is a knackered car make them an offer. it may sound stupid but 5.8's are cheap.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Hi Peoples,

Well the ride in the TE50 happened, yipppeee. Pete your a legend for picking us up and driving us to the station.
:D :D

Here are a few comments about the TE-50.

Firstly i agree with Pete that the exhaust wasn't real good and the droning spoilt the beautiful engine noise.

About the grip of the IRS you guys are dead right, it grips like buggery. :thumbup: :thumbup:
The road's that my work is on is pretty rough and if i boot it in my wagon or the other company cars you get the suspension going all wobly. But the TE-50 really hung on and i was suprised by the comfort of the car, it's riding on 18's and being in a skyline with 18's you can feel every bump but the TE was quite complaint. Over all it was a very refined car (par the exhaust), which brings me on the most important topic how fast does it go.

Well gotta admit the quickest car i've been in before this TE-50 was an R33 GTS-T, and to be frank it's feels pretty similar. So by my standards it's pretty quick. But Pete may disagree other wise.
The reason for the TE not feeling as quick as it is, is because of it's grip and refinement. Commo's have that taily nature and the car likes to step out somethin chronic.
This case is like the VT vs AU in stock form, the commodore feels quicker but actual fact the falcon kicks it.

So overall i believe holden is quicker but not by that much, thats my opinion anyway...

Sorry i babbled for ages..:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That driveline vibration is real bad in 2nd-3rd gear. When you grab the gear lever above 3000rpm it feels like a supercharged vibrator :WH: (just picture it - don't make assumptions about me....) . It is really quite annoying. Took my mate for a run who is looking at SS/XR8 too and he loved the TE - except the vibes and the exhaust (not to mention the bright leather seats).

The car drives awesome other than that. Oh, and it has a fractured sidewall on the front left tyre (must remember to tell the dealer that).

If I had this car the donk, clutch, box and tailshaft would be out to get balanced properly.

FINAL COMMENT: this needs more go. Herrod are a definite now! :evil: :evil2:

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
I think Herrod will satisfy you. I think. Yeah what option are you going for the $7000 or the works $11000. Also are you going to stroke the engine or add a blower?

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's why I'm going down to speak to them. I'm keeping my mind open but the stroker conversion would have to be the go. I like my mid range torque :wink2: :cool:

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Aussie Pete said:

I'm worried. This car is awesome in the rain (IRS grip is A1), but it don't go and I'm gonna need a dentist. If my XR turns up like this it aint worth 50grand. The LS1 would crap all over this car.

Perhaps Laminge and HSE2 could settle me down... :(
Mate 220kw is like driving a 4cylinder toyota for me! Yes you do expect more bt let the mods fall into place before expecting anything majour out of the car, a good unichip mapping also helps.

See you when you get down here!

·
Administrator
4,985 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
That's why I'm going down to speak to them. I'm keeping my mind open but the stroker conversion would have to be the go. I like my mid range torque :wink2: :cool:
I agree Pete. Nothing beats cube's and you can still put a blower on the stroker later.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
So I gather your overall impression was good if one factors in the possible reasons for your complaints. Herrod !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Now Ian.

Just cause you've been complicated by a Knob!!!!!

!st stroke the baby and let it settle in for at least 10,000 before putting a blower on it, ie drive it back and forth to herrods some 5 times and you should be right.... grin!!!

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did I mention that the gearbox reminds me of the bad old days of HSV. Let's be honest here, the T5 five speed is way out of date as far as user friendliness and NVH goes. I prefer an Eaton Fuller Roadranger to the T5 - and that says something believe me!!!!

LAMNINGE and HSE2:
I gather you guys can confirm the vibes in 2nd/3rd are not normal?

I had to change the front tyre too because of the fractured sidewall. When I got the car out this morning it looked like a goiter (spelling???????) hanging off the side of the tyre. If I was going for 18s I'd have P-Zeros on so quick Dunlop would think they'd had an earthquake (LOL).

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Guarantee the vips are not from the drive train but from the dhifter itself, I ordered a new shifter from the states which is spring loaded, carnt remeber the name of it at the moment, but it is sensational.

Gotta feel the XR shift on mine before you judge gearing on the 5 speed

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
No the vibration is not normal and the gearbox needs the same 10000km on it before it too starts to work. I can vouch for laminges shift quality. From the passenger seat it looked bloody good:D
While I haven't actually heard of the shifter itself being the problem they (ford) have been having some problems with balancing.
The one knob doesn't actaully worry me to the extent of you know what and who and why. Not my style, but they keep going and watch what happens:mad3:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts