Ford Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
EF_Falcon_GuY said:
Pete, surely for us ford forum crazies we need the raw power of Jet engines rather than prop. Preferably with afterburners. :s6: :s6: :s6: :s6:

Oh yeah and the cockpit has to have chromed instrument gear. :p :p :p
It does have jet engines - sort of. It's just that the jets drive props!

·
Tickford Ruled; FPV Rocks
1,457 Posts
Aussie Pete said:

Always one that isn't totally satisfied!
LOL!!!! Oh well, I admit the Dash 8 is a brilliant propjet, I used to work for an aviation company that handled GIV's and V's and a certain Falcon 900 which still does the rounds, so I'm a little spoilt. Or I was, anyhow.

What you guys should do is try to organise the Ford GV from the US. We handled it where I used to work when it came in for the last Melbourne Grand Prix with Jac the Knife on board. That plane was pure sex on wings! Short of that, we all pitch in some dosh and buy a Citation II or Learjet 35A for exclusive use of Ford Forums Australia members only. We only need to raise a few million bucks. We could register it VH-FFA, paint it white with 'Blueprint' blue stripping, Herrod could fit out the interior in leather, and do some engine mods........

Better stop dreaming methinks.............

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
make sure it doesnt hit the calista flockart looking nose on the grounds coz i dont think plastic surgery will help much:s3 :s2:

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
HP DUDE:
You're small time buddy. Yesterday, this picture was presented to me:

A brand new Boeing Business Jet (less than 100 hours total time), fully kitted out in corporate config with beds, bathrooms etc, and the stewardesses dressed in jeans and tight tops cleaning the exterior by hand. It was a hot day too.

Oh, a BBJ is a 737NG with winglets built to corporate spec.

·
1,457 Posts
Okay, I admit that Citations and Learjets are relatively small time but you can hardly argue that the Jets my old workplace used to maintain and handle, GIV's, GV's, Falcon 900's, Bombardier Global Express etc are 'small time'. Have u been inside one of these aircraft? Luxury personified. These are the cream of the cream of the business jet world, and are dare I say it, big time next to a Dash 8! The BBJ? Now that's another story..........

We had a BBJ come in for the Sydney Olympics but unfortunately a week before it was due I left that company cos I got a better offer elsewhere that I couldn't refuse. I wasn't impressed but when opportunity knocks.....

Greg Norman ordered a BBJ (I think he was the launch customer) and If he would have taken delivery, my old company would have handled it when he came to Melbourne as we handled his old GIV-SP and currently look after his GV. I'm not sure why he reneged on the BBJ; personally I don't think he is wealthy enough to own one; actually I think a GV is almost stretching it for him. Aussie Pete, how have the BBJ's been selling? I'd see the point in owning one if business required that I regularly fly over the Pacific (LAX-SYD/MEL) or was required to do cross-Atlantic trips (LHR/JFK), but for trips within Australia (or for that matter, within the US), you could not go past a GV or a Global Express. In fact, one of my old work's GIV customers (a wealthy Melbourne businessman) has a Global Express on order. And Frank Lowry (Westfield) owned that corporate B727 (N727WF, complete with a shower!) and got rid of it for a GIV (my old company handled N727WF and the GIV whose rego i cannot remember but it is American). I think I read somewhere he is now getting rid of the GIV and getting a Global Express as well, but I'm not sure on that. Another question for you Aussie Pete, the New Gen B737's that Qantas are getting, will they come with the BBJ wingtips, and are they -700's, -800's or -900's? And, is there gonna be cross crew qualification on them, i.e. a Qantas B737NG type rated pilot will also be qualified on B747-400 operations at the same time? As I'm sure you know this is the practice with airlines that operate AI A319/320/330/340.

In case you haven't noticed I LOVE planes AND cars.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
BBJs are selling very well from what we see and hear in the trade news.

Qantas 737NG aircraft are 737-800 with winglets, full economy seating. There is a short training course for pilots to go from 737 Classic to NG. Cockpit cross validation is not yet available for Boeing fleets. These 738s we are getting are in fact American Airlines spec planes which we have taken over after they cancelled out.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
HP Dude said:
Don't wanna ask a stupid question, but, will the B737 Classic pilots who are type-rated on the B737NG fly both types on the same roster?
I have NO idea. Given fleet commonality I would expect this to happen?

·
1,457 Posts
Well, from what I understand, the 737NG cockpits are based upon the 777 (and to a lesser extent 744), but the displays (PFD's, etc) have switchable modes between the highly 'digital' display of say, a 777 (so conceivably there might be room for possible cross crew qualification on the NG 737's and 777). But they also have a display which is based upon the analogue setup of the old 737's (such as an analogue style VSI, Airspeed, etc within the PFD). Perhaps in this mode they might be allowed to fly both types at the same time.

I read in another post you have a 747 for sale? Hey, forget about my idea about the FF Learjet or Citation, we'll convert the 747 to corporate config! It would be cheaper than a GV and be 5 times bigger than a BBJ! Is this an ex Qantas classic series 747?

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
747SP, RR powered, would do SYD-East USA non stop easily with only FF.com corporate configuration! Cheap too - around similar pricing to some business jets (7 figures USD, but the maintenance will kill you!). It's going to the knacker yard if noone buys it REAL soon.

On the 737NG thing, the PFDs are all software driven and can be configured to suit any airline preference. However you need to have crew from 737C that are EFIS trained to do the conversion course (my understanding).

·
1,457 Posts
I knew the day would come when we would say goodbye to Hekyll and Jekyll. I hope they find buyers but with the state of world aviation today, I think they're off to that big airport in the sky :-(

Picked up this month's Aussie Aviation (the first in yonks); Man, have I been out of the loop! Seems Westfield has cancelled that Global Express order and reclaimed the GIV (N18WF; that's the one!) they traded in.

My old employer is handling the BHP-Biliton Global Express (which I didn't know was even in the country!) and plus they plan to get another Canadair 604 (someone's had a good year).

Also read that the downturn in commercial aviation will not affect the corporate sector, as wealthier types, scared by recent events, look to either chartering private jets or even buying/leasing them in order to negate the chance of hijacking or airline collapse! My old employer has even picked up an old Ansett hangar in order to cope with demand. I think it's time to see if I can get my old job back!

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Just happened to buy two more brand new Q300s yesterday. (Lucky it's not my money!) :s5 :s2: :s6:

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
HP Dude said:
Oh the joy of spending other people's money! I'm guessing these are for Sunstate and not Eastern?
All one show now isn't it? QantasLink and all that.....

·
You can do eeeit!
1,495 Posts
AFAIK the 737 crews will be cross-qualified to fly both the 737 classics and the NG's. One of the main reasons that Qantas went ahead with this and not the scarebus was crew commonality.

It's like with the B767's the -238ER's classic EADI with P&W EICAS EPR, N1, N2, EGT, FF; -338ER's Pegasus EADI with GE EICAS N1, N2, EGT, FF and the ex-Pommy-336ER's with RR EICAS - EPR, N1, N2, N3, EGT and FF.

FF airline? May I suggest Venom Air???? Scream Now or /me ducks underneath the Q300's fuselage.

Bluedriver said:
OK AP I'm buying first ticket seat 1A for me and 1B for FF hostess, Amex number 3760 302375 94018 for Raid 111...........

Cheers
I want seat 1A (learning to fly), 1B is the back seat, dude......

Attachments

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.