Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey Steve,

How is it going... Good to see that the Probe still gets no responce yet again.

Well have to catch up some time.

Andrew

·
Probe Member
74 Posts
Well guys, I'm here too. A small but commited group! Aren't there ANY general Ford fans out there who want to find out a little more about this great car?

Anyone?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think that there was only 7 Probes in total for the Saturday, and one of them was from NSW.

It would be great if Ford were to have another event like that. Perhaps a 76th???? I'll be there.

·
Probe Member
74 Posts
Ford Man said:
I wouldn't mind actually.. Don't know much about 'em at all.. What models came out??.. Specs etc..
Ford Man, great to hear from you. Andrew, aka 95ProbeGT, beat me to it - but the site he pointed you to has some great information. I hope you checked out the 'history' section.

We don't have a HUGE following - Ford never imported many cars to Oz in the first place - but we still wear our badges with pride. I've only recently found FordForums and will be keeping an eye on any meets that you guys have. Possibly a good chance to give you guys a closer look at our machines........you won't see many on the road.

I've also been trying to educate some of the US guys in the Probe area by showing them our 'local' icon - the Falcon, and in particular the XR series and V8 racing cars.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would love to get some sales info on how many and when they were all sold. Even some promotional material would also be great to have.

·
Probe Member
74 Posts
95ProbeGT said:
I would love to get some sales info on how many and when they were all sold. Even some promotional material would also be great to have.
Andrew, I asked the same question (promo stuff) in the Probe area here. There's some interesting stuff at eBay - and someone suggested that AzPoc might have some scans of US ads.

Can I ask a REAL BIG favour? If you visit eBay, PLEASE don't fall in love with the Brass Probe keyring - it's me you'll be bidding against. I was on the phone with Jerry last night and he put a bid on for me..........since he's the 'PayPal dude' around these parts.

There is heaps regarding brochures, magazine articles........etc........

Later, dude.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
The oil filter review was pretty good! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Have always thought the Probe was a sweet looking machine, pity it aint RWD ;)

·
Probe Member
74 Posts
Martin,

It's an interesting comment that you make - and the most common dislike for the car. From my point of view, I have quite a bit more (like 10 years) experience driving FWD vehicles over RWD models. Consequently, I feel much more comfortable dealing with the inherant understeer in these types of cars, and nothing scares the hell out of my like a 'bum end' coming around to overtake.......:)

Because of the flat ride in a Probe (and MX-6 for that matter) due to the stiff suspension, it really isn't that noticable that it IS a FWD - and it doesn't have the nasty torque steer I had in my '85 Cordia Turbo.........

I'll say one thing though. It never looks as cool smoking up your FRONT wheels. :)

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I always thought the Probe was one of the nicest designs to come out of the US. Great site too guys.

I seem to remember the engine and build quality also being points that cost it sale in Aust. The example I have looked at looked good as far as quality was concerned but I have driven one so I don't know about the motor.

For the guys that do own one what is the biggest weakness with the probe?

·
Probe Member
74 Posts
I'm not personally in a position to talk about weaknesses - since I've only had mine for 2 months now. Andrew might be able to share his thoughts on this one. I remember Steve had a good vs bad point page on his website (which is down for some work at the moment and consequently I cannot check).

I had thought that some of the costs of replacement parts sounded high (based on forum posts and not personal experience) - particularly when sourced through 'genuine' means. We have some guys that have established extremely good relationships with the US Probers, so that opens up additional avenues. I'd hate to have to replace panels considering their limited import...........

Regarding the engine - I'd always thought that this was a strength of the car (with proper maintenance of course).

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have had my Probe for just on 2.5 years now and bought it with 86,000km on the clock (it now has just under 163,000km) . I would have to agree with Craig that the only bad point about about the car is any genuine parts or even the odd service is going to cost a lot.

About 6 months after I got my car I had the 100,000km service to perfom (very major service). Went to the Ford dealer who I purchased the car from to have the service done. I was origionaly quoted between $600-$700 for the complete service. Anyway to cut a long story short and 4 trips back to the dealer to get things fixed that werent faulty before the car went in for the service and I had parted with over $1100.... :-( for one service. (NOT HAPPY JAN)

Needless to say I do as much of the servicing as I can. One of the main things that the engine need is a clean supply of Mobil 1 to keep all the cams and lifter quiet, and apart from normal maintanence that you would have with any car its been fine.

Andrew

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Homer said:
Ford Man, great to hear from you. Andrew, aka 95ProbeGT, beat me to it - but the site he pointed you to has some great information. I hope you checked out the 'history' section.
Must admit I haven't checked out the site completely 'cause I'm at work but it looks like a corker..

Great to hear from you guys too.. you're all definatley most welcome on any trips being planned... :D

·
Probe Member
74 Posts
Ford Man said:

Great to hear from you guys too.. you're all definatley most welcome on any trips being planned... :D
Actually, Ford Man, you might be in a good place to have an up close and personal look at a whole bunch of Probes.....all in the same place at the same time. We have a 'National' meet in Canberra organised for the weekend of the 4th/5th of August. There are summit details on the site that appears in an earlier post by 95ProbeGT - so it shouldn't be too difficult to find us.

I'll keep an eye open for some interesting NSW Ford meets as well.......

·
Australian Probe Member
841 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts