Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Got my 3.45 LSD!
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to get a good or best way at launching your car in drag racing using an automatic? without any stall converter fitted, and without breaking the trasmission in the process.
These are just some ideas that ive thought of...

1. Slam your foot on the accelator as soon as the green lights up.
2. Have your foot firmly on the brake pedal while bringing up the revs to 1500-2000 rpm or before the wheels start spining, then release brake and accelator to the floor.
3. Same as number 2 but also using the handbrake pushing the the revs over 2000 rpm.
4. Revving the car up in neutral then slaming the t-bar into drive when the green lights up. (obviously this will break some transmission if done repeatedly).

Or is there any other technique used???
And one more thing is it better to shift gears yourself or leave it in D and let the auto do all the work???

·
Registered
75 Posts
Defenitely technique #2 is the safest and likely to get you the most consistent launches. Although my car has a high stall convertor, I still use that technique and have achieved a 1.48 sec 60' time with a 10.28 sec ET.

·
Got my 3.45 LSD!
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ToddZC said:
Defenitely technique #2 is the safest and likely to get you the most consistent launches. Although my car has a high stall convertor, I still use that technique and have achieved a 1.48 sec 60' time with a 10.28 sec ET.
wat about shift in a stock falcon auto? is it better to do all the shifting or let the auto do the work? obviously redlining will slow u down?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Optimal shift point will be the rpm where your engine is making max hp. If you leave the shifter in D and it changes gear at or within 200 rpm on the low side of that rpm, then for a near standard car that should be fine. If not, then select the gears manualy, keeping an eye on the tachometer obviously. Redlining in each gear will cost you time, as once you go past your engines peak hp, both hp and torque are dropping off. In an ideal situation, you should hold each gear until peak hp rpm, then when you shift the revs should drop down to near peak torque rpm.

·
Got my 3.45 LSD!
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok cool, ill keep that in mind for next time

·
Registered
3 Posts
ya number two is best for rwd. but if u have a import, that is awd then its a lot harder, like a sti or somthing, u hold the break and the e brake, use your heal to hold the cluch in to then rev it up to like 2000 then when the light goes just dump it all. its difficult the first couple of times.

·
Registered
35 Posts
sweeeeeet9 said:
ya number two is best for rwd. but if u have a import, that is awd then its a lot harder, like a sti or somthing, u hold the break and the e brake, use your heal to hold the cluch in to then rev it up to like 2000 then when the light goes just dump it all. its difficult the first couple of times.
its for an automatic so u dont have to sidestep the clutch (cause there isnt one). but i think holding the brake and reving the engine is the best way to launch an automatic

·
Registered
1 Posts
put slicks on it....rev it to 5000 dump the clutch and go for it. with street tyres rev it to like 3000-4000 and ort of ride teh clutch out quickly to try not wheelsspin much or even at all

·
280 Posts
Obviously a high stall converter would be the only way to make an automatic "slip" like a manual and put you in that powerband right away. Any other method is just trying to achieve results from something you don't have which is either A)Manual Tranny or B) High Stall Converter

·
Registered
5 Posts
ok to give you my help you have to understand that if the Car in Question is a daily Driver then installing a Trans brake is not going to happen. also if money is a Question or a factor then I would not look at racing its pricey.

At times if you don't know what your doing not that I am claming you don't but if I was you I would go to the pits and talk to Drivers who have the Same make model Class as your Car and ask them what they do IE if its a Mustang go to a Mustang meet and ask around many will not just tell you but Show you if they have pride in there Stang..

Get to know your Car and don't forget ask around ask other Drivers what there set ups are many will tell you..but to answer your question from my point of View I would go with 2 also practice in a safe way.

and your Times will improve and you will keep your car's life longer also side note Oil if your using a Street oil you mite want to check into getting a after market one that targets Drag racing after all your putting a lot of Stress on your poor oil,water,block,pistons,rockers inc..so treat them with care...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts