Ford Forums banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
i'll never grow up
294 Posts
ftr_el said:
I have converted my EL to manual, I have been envolved in three now and have encounted the same problems each time. When the manual box is in the thermos stay on constantly this is because the computer thinks the auto is over heating, changing the computer to manual would solve this however you loose performance and its pretty hard to find a Manual El computer in Wa. So does any one know a way to trick the ECU to thinking that the Auto box (which isnt there) is not overheating there fore stopping the thermos being on and even out the idle speed.

Any input would be appreciated.

thanks
why muck around pull out the tranny computer and buy a mnaul engine computer.. pay no more than about 175.. try these numbers. 02 9774 5184 or 02 9892 3948// they should be able to help.. remember EL computers start with 96da 12a650 ???.. EF stars with 94DA 12a650 ???.. they dont interchange

·
1998 El Futura Enhanced
130 Posts
I have put in a 1650ohm resistor between the temp sensor wires on the auto wiring loom. This has stopped the fans, the cars idles fine and is running nicely. No need to spend $175 on a new computer. thanks

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Kewl, more useful stuff to know :)

·
Banned
599 Posts
I heard from someone that when you put a resistor in, to trick the ECU into the thinking the manual is in neutral all the time isnt actually a good thing. Becuase the ECU wont know when its at load,etc.
Im not sure on the whole concept though, help us out?

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Far as I know, on the I6 it doesn't need to know any more than box temp and gear selected. The ECU is fairly independent of the box computer. Load is calculated off WOT and gear, used to determine kickdown.
Timing is regulated by the knock sensor, injector timing runs off that. Injector pulse is controlled by the ECU based on WOT, timing, MAP, and engine temperature.

On another note, a few people have asked me now about fooling the EL computer. I will post it here.

To fool the EL computer, use a 1/4watt 7.5 Kohm resistor between pin 30 (pink/green) and pin 46 (black/white). This will make the ECU think the auto's permanently in Neutral.

·
EF & ZH owner
620 Posts
I finally got some spare cash to do this conversion.. How much will it cost me all up to do the whole job properly. A mate and I will be doing it ourselves

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Depends on how much you pay for the conversion ;)

Installation costs are basically transmission fluid, maybe a rear seal while it's easy.
The conversion itself - dunno about prices over east, but I'd expect to pay better than a grand at the wreckers, or about a grand, give or take a few hundred, for a complete manual car (wrecked/unlicenced). So allow $2k if you do all the work, as you may find you need to replace clutch cables, clutch plates, etc. Also consider welding, or having welded, the firewall where the cable goes through as it is known to crack under the stress after a few years.

·
1998 El Futura Enhanced
130 Posts
mongrelEB said:
Far as I know, on the I6 it doesn't need to know any more than box temp and gear selected. The ECU is fairly independent of the box computer. Load is calculated off WOT and gear, used to determine kickdown.
Timing is regulated by the knock sensor, injector timing runs off that. Injector pulse is controlled by the ECU based on WOT, timing, MAP, and engine temperature.

On another note, a few people have asked me now about fooling the EL computer. I will post it here.

To fool the EL computer, use a 1/4watt 7.5 Kohm resistor between pin 30 (pink/green) and pin 46 (black/white). This will make the ECU think the auto's permanently in Neutral.

Why would you want to do that I am running the auto computer and it runs fine - will the car run better if I did this mod. What would it achieve.

·
1998 El Futura Enhanced
130 Posts
mongral eb what resistor would I use to make the ecu think its in DRIVE. and would I connect it to the wires from the main wiring loom?

·
Ford Nut
304 Posts
will making the ecu think its in drive make the car perform any different? i take it this means the car will start no hassles?

·
1998 El Futura Enhanced
130 Posts
The Car will start - and from what I've been told making the ECU think the Auto in Drive will be better for power and driving.

·
Ford Nut
304 Posts
ftr_el said:
...and from what I've been told making the ECU think the Auto in Drive will be better for power and driving.

how true is that? if i was to make the ecu think it was in drive and short the neutral saftey switch, would the car still start?

·
Registered
117 Posts
yeah mate i was going to do the conversion this weekend, but i just wanted to know one thing before i started, ive got an ea spac 5spd lined up, and i want to use that as a donor for my eb 11 fairmont. Im just wondering if the computer set up will be any different on my fairmont, with the trip computer and all, and if the conversion will be any different, because i know they never made a fairmont manual.

And one last thing, you said something about the spline on the ea being a different pattern to the eb, will this effect my conversion, and how will i go about it properly if this is so.

·
Registered
252 Posts
ull be able to use all the parts out of the ea for the conversion but the computer. u will either need to get an eb manual computer or... trick your old one into thinking its in neutral...

·
Registered
117 Posts
yeah well none of thats going to be happening, i put my car into a ditch today, switched off on the way home from work at 12pm, the really annoying thing is, my car got hit by a forklift at work a few weeks ago and was supposed to go in for repairs today, but it got delayed, so if it hadnt been delayed, my car would have been getting repaired, but instead it found heaven. So im going to go to noosa tomorrow and look at this ltd 89 model for 1500 bucks, and take my motor out of my car and all the good stuff and put it in the ltd.

·
Will never go back to a 6
86 Posts
LTD eh? Now you're talkin...

On that note, I was contemplating a slosh-to-stick conversion in one of my daydreams. Would that documentation be suitable to follow if the box is being bolted up behind a 5.0L? And would there be any differences to putting one in a LWB car compared to a sedan?

·
XF 250 4.1 XFLOW TURBO
974 Posts
BENSV8 said:
LTD eh? Now you're talkin...

On that note, I was contemplating a slosh-to-stick conversion in one of my daydreams. Would that documentation be suitable to follow if the box is being bolted up behind a 5.0L? And would there be any differences to putting one in a LWB car compared to a sedan?
hey man got any pics of ur LTD

·
Will never go back to a 6
86 Posts
blueovalxfboy said:
hey man got any pics of ur LTD
Due to a lack of technology on my behalf, my 'Ellie wont be seen on screens for at least a few weeks. Rest assured, when it makes it's debut you will be able to see it on every angle imaginable.

·
Phat Drift Damage Victim
985 Posts
Just got a question about parts for the T5 conversion as nothing is mentioned in the workshop manual about parts being different.

The T5 conversion is on an ED but the box we're using is out of an EBI, I'm assuming we're going to have to use the EBI flywheel, clutch and spigot bearing?

I think I already know the answer but I want to be absolutely certain before we get stuck into it so there's no hold ups as we only have a day to do the whole thing.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts