Ford Forums banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
chris
105 Posts
XplodEd EA said:
Just got a question about parts for the T5 conversion as nothing is mentioned in the workshop manual about parts being different.

The T5 conversion is on an ED but the box we're using is out of an EBI, I'm assuming we're going to have to use the EBI flywheel, clutch and spigot bearing?

I think I already know the answer but I want to be absolutely certain before we get stuck into it so there's no hold ups as we only have a day to do the whole thing.
Yah mate go with the EB parts ,i just did the same from a EA1 to EB 11 and used all the ea flywheel ,clutch and replaced the bearing the spigot bearing number is 69003

·
Registered
6 Posts
Excellent Guide, Mongrel. Thanks. And thanks to the rest of the Forum members. Great site, great information.

My son just bought a wrecked manual EB1 S-pack sedan and we are starting to convert his auto EB2 Ghia to a five speed. So much easier when you have a whole donor car to strip! No need to source flywheels, clutches, pedal boxes, etc.

Unfortunately the manual EB1 is pre smartlock. I assume we can't use the ECU from the earlier car in the later EB2 Smartlock car?

If not, we will leave the EB2 auto ECU in the car and try to trick the computer. From what I've read here, we only need to close the inhibitor circuit, attach the gear position wires to the gearbox neutral switch and insert a 1650 Ohm resistor in the auto temp circuit (thanks ftr_el for that one).

The other issue is the pedal box has been repaired before (badly). If I just re-weld the cracks around the clutch pivot and maybe weld a plate inside the box behind the pivot shaft, would that be enough?

Wish us luck. I'll post after the conversion to let the forum know how we went and to advertise all the leftover bits from the EB1 S-pack for sale.

·
Dirt Tracker
83 Posts
Is there any reason why I shouldn't just shrt the neutral swith wires at the junction box?
I have had to extend the loom as thye series I and series II looms are diferent lengths apparently
apart from that and that damned top starter bolt, all is going fine

·
Registered
13 Posts
im getting an EF T5 and flywheel put into my ed on monday..

im looking at a new clutch too, will an xr6 clutch for an ef fit?. and is it stronger., or is it worth paying extra for the HIgh reving ultra heavy duty one.
(are xr6 clutches stepped or is it all the same (width etc) to standard)

concerns are hopefully they put in an ed manual computer into mine not the EF, cossa intake differnences etc.

3 month warranty for 1300 all converted, whole thing. anyone had any experience with WALLISTON Wreckers in perth?

·
Registered
28 Posts
ftr_el said:
I have converted my EL to manual, I have been envolved in three now and have encounted the same problems each time. When the manual box is in the thermos stay on constantly this is because the computer thinks the auto is over heating, changing the computer to manual would solve this however you loose performance and its pretty hard to find a Manual El computer in Wa. So does any one know a way to trick the ECU to thinking that the Auto box (which isnt there) is not overheating there fore stopping the thermos being on and even out the idle speed.

Any input would be appreciated.

thanks
If you changed the computer to a manual ECU, how would this loose performance???

·
1998 El Futura Enhanced
130 Posts
you do loose performance as the Auto computer tends to pump in more fuel you'll find that your fuel consumption will be higher with the Auto. You'll also notice a difference in the exhaust note (believe it or not).

Anyways im sure its not a big power difference and the car runs like a pig with an Auto ECU.

·
1998 El Futura Enhanced
130 Posts
Walliston are pretty good who did you speak to Ralph/Steve. They get a bit sloppy if you have a problem afterwards though but they are good blokes.

·
Ford and Proud
20 Posts
Anyone done a conversion in a EF using parts from a EA?
Would i need to use other parts for the conversion from another model like the pedal box, ECU etc...
As i may buy a EF in VGC for $2,500, so im just lookin to see whats involved before i buy..
Cheers :beer2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Boys-You all have been very helpful, I have an Eb2 XR6 and have an Ea 5 spd ready to go in. Being an XR6 can i still trick the ECU and is it as easy as you all make it sound. I have the complete Ea Falcon, its just the ECU thats worring me. Thanx Boys any Info would be Great!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Many many years ago, I converted my XW Wagon from bench seat, 3.6L, auto to buckets, 302, 4speed. Bloody hell, what fun. I don't want to do with a later car, too many wires etc

·
No Ute No Circle Work
29 Posts
Sorry for the very late post....But as this is thread is sticky I hope it is ok.
I converted my XG to manual and used alot of info off this thread ( thank you ) but I did not change the ECU. The car runs and drives perfect so I am just wondering if there is any difference in the ECU from auto to manual?
I did read every post but there seems to be nothing firm to say I should change it.
Anyway any help would be great.
Thanks

·
New Old Stock. :)
35 Posts
i have a el fairmont ghia (auto). and i just purchased a ea falcon (manual).
i am going to transfer the manual into the el.. will keep you guys up to date with how it goes. am a bit worried about the ecu problems others have been having..

·
Got my 3.45 LSD!
214 Posts
i just found out if im goin to convert my AU to manual, ill need to change my entire dash wiring right down to the tail light looms, this is because being series 1 it doesnt have smart shield and its impossilbe to get a non smart shield manual computer, from ford its cost more than doing the conversion, so series 2 wiring is the only option, anyone want 2 sell me a non smart shield manual computer????

·
Registered
2 Posts
I changed from a v6 auto to 5.0 T5 which included changing wire harness. I was able to get a donor car, so I labeled everything with masking tape and marker as well as sandwich bags labeled for screws nuts and bolts. Changing the brake pedal assembly for a clutch brake assembly was the most difficult, but I did not have to remove the dash, although I removed the drivers seat and dropped the steering column. This was a 86 LX Convert and the donor was a 86 LX Convert, both red

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anybody done this conversion on a 2001 F-550 4x4 w/Powerstroke Diesel? The truck is used by our volunteer fire department and it's always fully loaded. The automatic keeps failing and this is very dangerous for a mountain fire and rescue vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey im wanting to do a conversion in an ea 3.9 multi point injected it originally has a auto in what will i need exactly like ifi get as whole gearbox with bellhousing on already will that bolt straight up and what else will i need to complete this converstion cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
mongrelEB said:
Hey xchasr,
hey mongrel you seam to know a bit about this i have an ea fairmont ghia 3.9 multipoint injected 1989 and i am wanting to get a manual conversion for it if i get all the manual gear out of a 89 ea falcon will it all cross over or do i have to get it out of a ea fairmont ghia as the computer will be different fromt he carby to the injected version can you pleasde help me on this thank you heaps

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey guys what do i need to do a conversion on my 3.9 multipoint injected 3spd auto ea fairmont ghia sedan like if i get all thestuff out of a ea falcon 89 will it all fit in sweat as or do i need a ea fairmant ghia computer cheers

61 - 80 of 86 Posts