Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
xc ute
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all i have an xc ute with a 351w and fmx auto. However in the future i would like to change it to a manual. I am at the same time wrecking my old xe 4spd 6 cyc sedan and i was wondering what parts i could nick off the xe to help with the conversion later on. For example can a take out the pedal assembally or the gearbox or the gearbox mounting to go into the xc?

cheers

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mate! Take out the peddle box. It's like 5 nuts, two from the firewall and 3 from under the dash. You'll need to drop the steering column to get it out.
Also change out the transmission hump, it's useful for changing over to the manual option.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Falcon4 said:
Mate! Take out the peddle box. It's like 5 nuts, two from the firewall and 3 from under the dash. You'll need to drop the steering column to get it out.
Also change out the transmission hump, it's useful for changing over to the manual option.
Pedal box from a XE 6cyl man is about as much use as an ash tray on a Harley for a V8 man. The XE has a cable clutch and the XC has a hydraulic.

The best place for an XE is on the tip. The XE and XF along with the EA where the lowest ebb of Australian FoMoCo history. Best forgoton.

Steve

·
Registered
442 Posts
oneeyed said:
xc has cable clutch aswell
Yes, the six cylinder doe's. He has a V8. Is a cable clutch of any use to him? I think not.

Steve

·
xc ute
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha so i can use nothing then. oh well. looking at some other threads changing to manual is an exspensive operation. Maybe when i'm no longer a student.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Chartoo said:
haha so i can use nothing then. oh well. looking at some other threads changing to manual is an exspensive operation. Maybe when i'm no longer a student.
Chartoo, the single rail 4 speed trans itself will work. Only thing is its a wide ratio, but that may suit if your running a tall diff. The wide ratio has a deep first gear. The tail shaft will be to short but keep the front yoke.

Steve

·
Registered
40 Posts
"Ah! I see" says the blind man. My bad, I misread you had a 6 Cyl XE. Not up to speed on them, since I've never had one, Only XBs, XDs and BA's. Tended to skip Ford after they killed of the Cleveland. You'll need to get a peddle box from a XA to XD manual, and the hydraulic lines. Look around in the wrecking section of the papers, or go for a drive out in the back blocks of where you live.

I used to see a lot of old Fords and F$%ked Holden sitting in peoples yards, where often or not if you asked if you could get parts of their wrecks they generally offered you the lot for free.

Once we saw a HT Station Wagon sitting upside down in a bloke's paddock, so my brother and I approached him about taking the tail gate. He said if we took the lot we could have it for free. Well, when we had a look, it had buckets seats, 4 spd, 186S and tripple SU's.

Best scab we ever had, apart from the XB Coupe we score, but that's another story.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The bits you should keep are the Gearbox, speedo drive gear and tailshaft. The rest such as pedal, flywheel, bellhousing,clutch, lever, starter spacer will cost upwards of about $350 S/H. The 6 cylinder gaerbox will be fine behind a mild 351 for a while until you wear out 2nd gear sincro (symptoms: grinds going into reverse once stoped). Email me for more info!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
See if you can just change out the main shaft in the pedal box. This saves a gut load of extra work. Just slap on the brake and clutch pedal and away you go. Did this on the XD.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts