Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who still thinks the Auto is faster than the manual???
I just had a street drag against a xr8 ute auto also he had the exhaust done (looked like a D&T exhausted) mine is completely standard ,both are utes.We both came out of a round-about he was in frount of me.He floored it just before me .Basicly i was just creeping up slightly if the road was longer i would of passed him as i was creeping faster once i hit 3rd gear.Also i noticed the auto doesnt spin into 2nd gear,With the manual in my case i get shit loads of spin into 2nd .Not to mention I had about 100kgs of weight in the back of mine,but i cant say what he had in his .
But I have to say it was a wicked drag and we both passed an SS on the way it was so cool.
I say go the manual.

Mine is a manual

·
blue blooded
278 Posts
what did the auto ute have in the back ?? ... a dozen bags of cement ??? hehehe

go the auto

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
XR8BOSS said:
He floored it just before me .gear.Also i noticed the auto doesnt spin into 2nd ,With the manual in my case i get shit loads of spin into 2nd .
when dragging wheel spin is no good .so you answered your own question in your post ....
Go the Auto less spin dont miss gears...

·
X-DM!!
1,114 Posts
You are flat out to get the auto to lose traction in 1st gear let a lone 2nd. Start from a standing start and it would be a differant story. As XRFPV8 said when dragging wheel spin is no good anyway.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sometimes you need the wheelspin to keep the engine in heat .Thats why the auto bogs down off the line and the change into second.Ive owned both manuals and auto`s.

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
Auto doesn't bog down (and will wheel spin a little) if you "stall" the tranny up first.

Go the auto.

·
"HSV I JUST BLEW ONE"
158 Posts
XR8BOSS said:
I just had a street drag against a xr8 ute auto also he had the exhaust done (looked like a D&T exhausted) mine is completely standard ,both are utes.We both came out of a round-about he was in frount of me.He floored it just before me .Basicly i was just creeping up slightly if the road was longer i would of passed him as i was creeping faster once i hit 3rd gear.Also i noticed the auto doesnt spin into 2nd gear,With the manual in my case i get shit loads of spin into 2nd .Not to mention I had about 100kgs of weight in the back of mine,but i cant say what he had in his .
But I have to say it was a wicked drag and we both passed an SS on the way it was so cool.
I say go the manual.

Mine is a manual
Mate no one remembers who comes second in a race . :sperm:

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DABOSS said:
Mate no one remembers who comes second in a race . :sperm:
He was ahead of me in a single lane to start with and the the lane split in 2
I have a Ed Sprint auto and it bogs
and the Ba i test drove was an auto

·
FF Moderator
2,202 Posts
There is bugger all between them so it comes down to personal choice. Lets leave it at that shall we.

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
I have a manual and I say go auto. I'll be saying the opposite when i get my next car which is auto.

·
Previously Black XR
241 Posts
i had an AU XR8 manual.....now I have a Manual GT.......for me there is only one answer...manual...you have much more control

when i want wheel spin I have as much as I want....when i dont want I just go a little easier on the clutch

·
Registered
695 Posts
auto probably will catch you on take off
then i reckon (if you are a good manual driver) you should reel him in and romp it home.

If you run the ba xr8 auto against the manual in a race track I think u'd find the manual will win hands down. But for straight line stuff...mmm...close

You said he had an exhaust? Depending on what type of zorst it is, he may have compromised a bit of low end for top end. So if it was a short squirt then he would be disadvantaged.

GO THE MANUALS!!

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Yeap i say manuals are quicker untimately, however i've been beaten a few times by an auto equivelant car as in a manual there are many factors, gear change, clutch release, wheels spin due to too many revs etc. Each car has it's sweet spot for taking off (unfortunately i still haven't found it on my XR).

·
goooone
2,708 Posts
Manuals are quicker but can't be launched as consistently no matter how good a driver you are but I prefer manuals as they are more fun & allow you greater control.

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
Mr Jucy said:
Manuals are quicker but can't be launched as consistently no matter how good a driver you are but I prefer manuals as they are more fun & allow you greater control.
I agree with your statement Mr Jucy,Manual's are better fun.

·
Munch Munch Rice 4 Lunch
594 Posts
yeah manuals are fun, i own two of them both V8, but if you want to go fast and not have to worry about missing gears, not changing at the right time, clutch slip, excessive wheel spin, then an auto is the way to go, plus if you want to control the gears you can always do that with an auto as well.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Well very interesting to read what every body says about the diferences. Last weeked GTP 200 and I had quite a few runs against each other at various starts and moving starts. Mine is a stock manual with 4200k on it. Cams is modified auto. Mine is definiately quicker off the line and held him out up to 190k and then we backed off. Rolling start 60k, mine in 2nd, his in 1st, same result, bonnet length in it. Empty cars no passengers, standing start same result. Three of us had a run in Sydney rd last Sun nite, GTP 200, GTP 320. Standing start, I reved mine to about 1200rpm and dropped it, no wheel spin and I had a car length on them both before they moved and its all over, cant catch up. So for me the manual every time, as a good driver can always get off the line quicker if you can have a little self control. I do believe there is a little more power loss through the auto over a manual. I think we saw a little of that last weekend. It was great to run the other GTs and we used these cars for what they were built for. What a blast and I think the oter guys would agree.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts