Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about purchasing a second hand AU 1, 2 or 3 XR8. Has anyone here had experience with getting much power out of these engines?
How much power at what cost can you get from an unopened engine? And if i were to open it up and go all the way?
What are the most effective mods to acheive from 200rwkw to 300+rwkw?
thanx
Venom

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Venom XR Turbo said:
Thinking about purchasing a second hand AU 1, 2 or 3 XR8. Has anyone here had experience with getting much power out of these engines?
How much power at what cost can you get from an unopened engine? And if i were to open it up and go all the way?
What are the most effective mods to acheive from 200rwkw to 300+rwkw?
thanx
Venom

I know where you can get a black series 2 AU XR8 that already has a T56 and 3.73 diff, all it needs is the ponies. Ben.

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
1,934 Posts
If your going XR8 go for the series 3 with 220 motor. This is the last of the hand built motors & of cause the best . They respond very well to all the usual mods. What I mean by usual mods. Liverpool exhaust, K&N filter & second cold air inlet into the airbox. That will give you about 18 to 20 RWKW. All this for under $2000. Then a unichip around $1200 should give another 5 to 10 rwkw..
Hope this helps...

·
Wheelman
147 Posts
Noboss said:
If your going XR8 go for the series 3 with 220 motor. This is the last of the hand built motors & of cause the best . They respond very well to all the usual mods. What I mean by usual mods. Liverpool exhaust, K&N filter & second cold air inlet into the airbox. That will give you about 18 to 20 RWKW. All this for under $2000. Then a unichip around $1200 should give another 5 to 10 rwkw..
Hope this helps...
Actually an XR8 AU built after May 2001 will have a 220Kw hand built motor - this includes some of the AU2s like mine

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what i gather, the 220kw specced xr8s are usually a couple more $grand to buy than the pre-may 01 cars. Is it worth the exrta $$$ you fork out, given i am going to spend a few grand on mods after purchase anyway?

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
1,934 Posts
Venom XR Turbo said:
From what i gather, the 220kw specced xr8s are usually a couple more $grand to buy than the pre-may 01 cars. Is it worth the exrta $$$ you fork out, given i am going to spend a few grand on mods after purchase anyway?
Yeah for sure. The extra money is well spent.. :hy:
As has been mentioned late AU2s had the 220 & all AU3s there the one to get..

·
Big Red Ute
20 Posts
The Au 220kw motor responds really well.
This is what I have done..
heads - ported and polished, biggest valves possible in, double valve springs
Exhaust - extracted and 3" through with race cats
Inlet manifold - 8 pipe inlet with big throttle body and SS Induction K&N filter
Management - Motec computer
result 252rwkw and it blows Gts and FPVs away.
Engine cost incl labour as it was all done in the race shop - NZ$16,000.

On a 2002 Ute that makes a very cheap fast V8.

Go for it and have fun !!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx for sharing your mods MKelly. I will take into account what you have done to your car when doing mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
MKelly said:
The Au 220kw motor responds really well.
This is what I have done..
heads - ported and polished, biggest valves possible in, double valve springs
Exhaust - extracted and 3" through with race cats
Inlet manifold - 8 pipe inlet with big throttle body and SS Induction K&N filter
Management - Motec computer
result 252rwkw and it blows Gts and FPVs away.
Engine cost incl labour as it was all done in the race shop - NZ$16,000.

On a 2002 Ute that makes a very cheap fast V8.

Go for it and have fun !!
Wouldn't a bolt on s/charger and exhaust been cheaper?? $7,000-?? :driver:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts