Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Mmmm, forbidden donut
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Can't remember which report I read it in but apparently the AV wagon (and obviously most likely ute too) will soldier on with leaf springs. The press bagged the AU wagon for having such a set up, can you imagine the flak the AV will cop form the press if it retains leaf springs?

One other thing, is it just me or does Ford Aus seem to be less 'respected' by Ford US than Holden is by GM. Reason I say this is that Geoff P. has been waiting for ages to get the 4wd Falcon program 'approved' by head office (let alone build cool things like R5 and coupe), whereas Holden's export plans, engine plant etc. point to a much higher status and responsibility in the world of GM.

Any thoughts?

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
I have heard reports from many sources that say that IRS will be across the entire AV range, this includes utes and wagons, I have also seen the reports that they will soldier on with leaf springs.
The one thing I do know as fact is that there have been wagons and utes seen with IRS being tested, when this will be introduced, though, is anyones guess. I hope it will be for the AV.

·
Territory TS - AWD
2,374 Posts
The Mighty XE said:

......One other thing, is it just me or does Ford Aus seem to be less 'respected' by Ford US than Holden is by GM.......

Any thoughts?
Maybe it's because Holden was the ONLY GM division to post a profit last year. (Maybe also SAAB, dunno, read that a while ago).
That, and they are dominant in their market segments and have a ridiculous market share. In the eyes of GM (USA) they can do no wrong.

Now, If only Ford......

Back-to-Topic
IMHO they is nothing wrong with a well executed (which Falcon's is) Leaf Spring/Live Axle setup for vehicles that are designed to carry loads (wagons & utes). Sure, not the best option for a general commuter or sports sedan but hey, don't criticise them for utilising appropriate technology!

Although the press will:(

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Yeah theres nothing particular wrong with the AUs Leaf Sprung rear end, check out the latest Motor Mags lap times in it around Phillip Island. Only about 1.5 sec a lap slower than the Integra Type R and the BMW 540i Sport.

Not bad for a workhorse... and would be even better with the 220Kw motor...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Also, the commodore is THE ONLY large Rwd drive sedan in the GM universe, hence the export program. Unfortunately the falcon is not in this comfortable position.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Sorry - no excuse for cart springs anymore. I will NOT buy a Falc wagon with cart springs. Guaranteed.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
Sorry - no excuse for cart springs anymore. I will NOT buy a Falc wagon with cart springs. Guaranteed.
No excuse..

you hear that FORD.... why they hell would they even consider it!!!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I would buy a Falcon wagon with leaf springs because I tend to load my cars to the limit and also require the clearence that the leaf springs offer. However I think Ford should fit IRS on the wagons and offer the cart springs as the HD alternative.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
I highly doubt it... as said, it's too different to AU, and it would go against the idea that the AV will look "good to basically everyone".

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Yeah for refinement of handling, and IRS system is the go. For the mass market people aren't going to vouch for the horse n cart anymore. But for load carrying leafs are the IMO. It's a classic tale of if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Must admit i'm now pretty happy with the way my wagon handles. Must admit though in stock form there abit rolly polly. :eek: :eek:

For a proof i can take my wagon at 120km/h down the steepest part of lapstone hill the big left hander that has concrete barriers on my own lane. Feels very planted :nuts: :nuts:

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Re: Could this be the AV?

jaytyn said:
Could this be the AV ???
Errrm ahhh hmmm, hope not, geez it looks so balnd something that Toyota churns out. To boot it looks like a small car.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
It looks like a sedan version of the Fiesta to me

·
Turbo Pilot
85 Posts
Leaf springs

Before we all lose sight of how it all works, you may find that around the smooth race track the live axle i.e leaf springs. may not show any performance handicap to IRS. In fact with Holdens pathetic IRS system you may in fact lose out a bit because of the large angles that the wheels attain when the rear suspension is compressed. (HSV vehicles have an extra link to stop this I think)

However on the ROAD is where IRS will show up like chalk and cheese, because as you hit bumps mid-corner each wheel can act independently of the other. Now I know coils are an improvement even in a live axle setup, but we must remember why the leaf springs were retained this long. It is not just for cost or lack of alternative because Ford have had the coil/live axle setup on their sedans somwhere back around the XE?? models.

The Leaf springs where retained soley because they are the right tool to use for load carrying vehicles such as the utes. The Holden utes have been bagged for their low carrying capacities, thanks to their coil spring setup, while the AU utes have sold to the tradies as the best TOOL for the job. I doubt we would have a 1-tonne option without the leaf springs.

And yes I do own an AUII XR8 ute, and yes the fantastic Ford IRS system would be great for an option, as I will probably never use the 650kg load limit now, however if you had driven one you would have to agree they handle like you would not have thought possible (you have to have some sacrifices for the $10,000 price difference) but in the end I love utes and would hate to see their usefulness diluted at all.

If there is no better alternative, then the leaf spring must stay, at least as an option

Hope that wasn't too dull
;) ;)

·
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL
1,031 Posts
el2xr8 said:
I highly doubt it... as said, it's too different to AU, and it would go against the idea that the AV will look "good to basically everyone".
Ahh, dont say things like that yet... We dont know what the AV will look like!!

Everyone is expecting the AV to be the big saviour for Ford..
So was the AU remember..
I hope its not a fizzer that will get everyone down!

·
Formerly J-type
1,629 Posts
Re: Could this be the AV?

jaytyn said:
Could this be the AV ???
No it isn't - the car in that picture is currently outselling the Falcon in NZ, it's a crap picture of the Mondeo sedan.:eek:

·
Formerly J-type
1,629 Posts
Oh BTW the above pic is the Mondeo ST220 Estate, it has from memory a 160Kw 3.0l Duratec V6 engine.

On the issue of the AV Falcon and leaf springs, I personally would prefer IRS because if the next Falcon doesn't get IRS on any model it will most definately get a bagging from the press.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts