Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if anyone has had experience fitting a B&M shifter to the T5 boxes, and if so, was the shift improvement significant?

·
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast
478 Posts
I've been running the B&M Ripper shifter in my Sprint for the past year and am quite happy with it. It certainly has a very direct feel to it compared to the stock unit as there is no rubber bushing. With the spring loading directing it to the middle it is very difficult to miss 3rd - good for drag racing ;). Due to the stop bolts at the front and back you can slam it into gears without fear of breaking the shifter or the shift forks in your tranny.

One negative is the lever is quite short and tilted to the left suit the yanks so you may have to adjust your seating position to comfortably make those shifts in to 1st and 3rd. Also the lever is threaded unlike our smooth stock ones so you will need to buy a threaded shift knob to use with it. I had a friend in the states pick up a leather knob for a '99 Cobra which fit well, is very tall slightly alleviating the short lever issue and looks/feels good in black leather.

Regarding installation I had to have the tranny dropped to install the shifter as the front bolts were blocked by the metal floor of the car. Mine is an ED though so it may be different for newer models. It is certainly easy enough to install yourself if you can access the bolts from inside the car.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Sounds pretty impressive, I might look into it when i'm getting my clutch done, since they have to drop the tranny. It'd be better if they can just fit it without removal of the tranny.

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
anakha was nice enough to let me have a drive of his car once.. the shifter was HEAPS easier to use, but would take a little while to get used to.

for some reason he wont let me have a drive at the drags though.... (purely to test his theory that the shifter is good for drag racing)

:D :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts