Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what people are replacing their 17 inch tyres with? im thinking about going for either the Dunlop 3000 sports or a set of Falkens. They are both around 220 - 240 a tyre, but i dont know what else is out there.

If you could give me a guide on price and how they feel on the road id be thankful.

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
XTS220 said:
I was just wondering what people are replacing their 17 inch tyres with? im thinking about going for either the Dunlop 3000 sports or a set of Falkens. They are both around 220 - 240 a tyre, but i dont know what else is out there.

If you could give me a guide on price and how they feel on the road id be thankful.
i bought 1 dunlop sp 3000 cost me 17''$245 fitted and balanced...
hit a jockey wheel on the freeway put a hole in the wall of the tyre...

·
Just give me an excuse...
3,949 Posts
I got a pair of Kumho Ecsta 712 235/45/17 for $350 fitted. Good chunky tyre....

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tar, ive also found a Yokohama tyre thats abotu $239, so i dunno if i should go for it or not. The tyres currently on my car are those Leman things that the fairmont ghia has/g220 as the rims are those optional things that ford offered when the BA was first released - same as teh G220. Neways after 22,000 kms the front tyres are well and truely stuffed, the back 2 arent far behind.

Considering the car isn't driven hard im pretty dissapointed, but neways thats life.

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Night_Lurker are they noisey or what. And whats the car like to steer, mine is currently all over the place with the dunlops - its tramlining like a bitch.

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
In motor's 18's test recently the Falkens performed very well . . . (try a search on it, something like motor tyre test . . . Russelw or FM posted it up . . . )

·
Blue Blood
1,375 Posts
I've gone and put Falken ZE-326 tires on my BA XR6 on the 18" wheels.

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just put a set of bridgestones on it, dunno what sort but the bloke from Bob Jane said they were the best out of the four i was looking at. Got them for $239, will have more info tonight.

·
Mondeo Obsessed
89 Posts
XTS220 said:
Night_Lurker are they noisey or what. And whats the car like to steer, mine is currently all over the place with the dunlops - its tramlining like a bitch.

Interesting, as I have the same on an XT. :wnc:

I actually am quite impressed with the LeMans, which i initially thought (pre-use) wasn't a great tyre. I dont feel that they're noisy. And wet weather grip is great, and dry not too bad, and nice and stable near the limit. I agree wear rate (we've done 18000km with them) does look a bit high, but gee you must have been flogging it to only get 22000. We'll be looking at 40+, but then again, I suppose we've done 60% as freeway km's.

I've heard mixed things about the Dunlop 3000. The 8000 is a much better tyre, although no dubt more expensive.

I'm putting 205/50 - 16's Bridgestone GIII's on my mondeo this weekend. We'll see what they're like.

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
The Bridgestone Potenza G3 is a reasonably good tyre - if that's what they are, then the price of $239 is also fairly good for that tyre! I wouldn't expect much more than 25000km out of them though.

·
FF Moderator
2,202 Posts
Ive found the cheaper Dunlops track badly and are poor value for money. The Falken's on the other hand have proven to be the complete opposite. The jap Bridgestones aren't bad either.

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are Bridgestone Potenza GIII's, nice looking tyre and should be a bit better then the dunlops on it now.

Ive had the Falkens and i loved them to death on my last car, but I'll give these a go and see what they are like this time around, if no good then ill go back to the Falkens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts