Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
How Fast Were You Going?
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done such a conversion yet?
I'd imagine that the BA DOHC engine is taller than the SOHC 6.
Whats your thoughts?

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
The Shark - hows it goin?

I would imagine it would be a difficult fit from a height point of view, but not impossible if you were dedicated enough to have a go. I reckon it would be a complete driveline transfer from radiator to diff! Anyone else have a clue?

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Simple, someone with a BA 6 get a tape measure, I'll go grab a tape measure :p

·
Chasing 500rwkw
3,176 Posts
I think the wreckers has a complete BA turbo engine for sale for $6000, If it could fit it may be cheaper than turboing the current SOHC engine. Surely it wont be too hard to have someone fabricate a new plenum throttle body so the fly by wire stuff can be ditched.
this engine would likely have much more potential too.

Dan

·
Chasing 500rwkw
3,176 Posts
Apparantly they dont, the ports are too different, different shape or something.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Its nice to dream isn't it?
Don't forget the twin cammer head is wider.
You need fully programmable engine management.
Lots of custom parts need making up.
Sump clearance issues.
Gearbox issues.
This will cost alot to sort through.

On the plus side the fly-by-wire could be replaced by any EF/L/AU BBM "upper" plenum as it will certainly change over...or you can spend $1100 at Nizpro for a custom plenum (what a rip off!).

At some point someone will do it. But doers aren't dreamers!

Dan is that the donk at Ferntree Gully Wreckers? I nearly drooled on that the day i picked up the EF motor. I used the opportunity to check out the BA exhaust manifold CLOSELY. For the millionth time to everyone who keeps asking: IT WILL NOT FIT the ports are oval shaped and the bolt spacing is different. With that particular engine for some unknown reason they dismantled the turbo. I'd be wanting a proper rebuild with reciepts or at the very least an iron-clad guarantee on the turbo. It was sus.

If i could've afforded to buy the BA XR6T package i would've loved to fit that instead of the EF engine into my XE. But who knows whatthe future holds...

·
Chasing 500rwkw
3,176 Posts
Yeah it was at the ferntree gully wreckers, I saw an ad for it in the trading post.

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
No BA manifold will fit on SOHC heads. Complete motor changeover would be possible, and I'd expect it would be easier to change the accelerator to the FBW type than change to a cable. For a stock n/a motor the driveline should be ok depending on driving habits of course, the BA only increased torque by ~10%.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
aaron_hogan said:
Dan is that the donk at Ferntree Gully Wreckers? I nearly drooled on that the day i picked up the EF motor.
Off topic, how good are they for general prices and stock of EF/EL parts?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts